2 goalkeepers

3 full backs

3 centre backs

3 centre midfielders

3 wingers

4 strikers

I would take Wilshere if he is fit.

we didnt miss out

This was was my first chance to watch an international match at Villa Park :cry:

Did anyone go the England matches at Villa Park when Wembley was being built?

Must have been strange.

Also I seen a FA Cup semi-final on ESPN classic where they split the Holte End in half! :lol:

Crazy.

Anyway this thread has been renamed since it is evident that Team GB will not be playing at Villa Park.

Yes, England vs holland, which might actually explain mcleishs Dutch comments...

Possibly the worst game I've ever watched

Yep, abysmal game and bluenoses allowed in the Holte End.

• 1 month later...

I'd give Becks a place in the squad, just as a reward for his service to English/British football on and off the pitch. The time he gave (for free) during the Olympic and World Cup bids means he has more than pulled his weight. I cant see any European country winning the tournament this summer, most of us dont take it seriously enough and the stronger African and South American sides wont be coming into the competition off the back of a serious international tournament. So **** it, if the Olympics is supposed to be about taking part and using sports as entertainment then give Becks a farewell tour. The public would love it.

I'd give Becks a place in the squad, just as a reward for his service to English/British football on and off the pitch.

Very much this. DB travelled the globe several times promoting London for the games. Remember this is a very wealthy man with a young family, he didn't need to do it but still did.

I couldn't imagine any other English footballer giving up so much time for the cause.

He should be the first name on the squad sheet and wear the captains armband.

Some might argue that there is no room for sentiment in football, however I feel this tournament is a rare example where there is. For all his money, his stupid haircuts and his Spice Girl missus I still think that Beckham is one of us. He is definitely an England fan and is up there with people like Stuart Pearce when it comes to passion for the national team. Compare that to dickheads like Michael Carrick and (apparently) Micah Richards who refused to be squad members because England werent willing to bend over backwards to accommodate them and you have to ask who is setting a better example to the next generation?

Some might argue that there is no room for sentiment in football, however I feel this tournament is a rare example where there is. For all his money, his stupid haircuts and his Spice Girl missus I still think that Beckham is one of us. He is definitely an England fan and is up there with people like Stuart Pearce when it comes to passion for the national team. Compare that to dickheads like Michael Carrick and (apparently) Micah Richards who refused to be squad members because England werent willing to bend over backwards to accommodate them and you have to ask who is setting a better example to the next generation?
:nod: Totally agree with the above. :thumb:

I'd agree with that as well - got my tickets for the TeamGB game in Cardiff through the post a couple of days ago - so I'd be quite excited to see DB and 'Ronny Biggs' playing (I'm somewhat less excited about seeing Craig Bellamy run aimless towards to the corner flag though).

Personally, (since we're unlikely to be taking the olympic footyball seriously again) it'd be a nice international send off for them (especially if we make them sing the anthem before the game starts :twisted: )

I'd agree with that as well - got my tickets for the TeamGB game in Cardiff through the post a couple of days ago - so I'd be quite excited to see DB and 'Ronny Biggs' playing (I'm somewhat less excited about seeing Craig Bellamy run aimless towards to the corner flag though).

Personally, (since we're unlikely to be taking the olympic footyball seriously again) it'd be a nice international send off for them (especially if we make them sing the anthem before the game starts :twisted: )

You had your tickets through...I'm going to the third place play off and havent received mine yet, might have to get in contact with them...

Wouldn't worry too much as they're being sent out in order of when they were ordered - I bought mine about 20 minutes after they went on sale the first time.

I've also got some for the Womens' football during the 2nd wave of sales and those haven't arrived yet either. =)

I think it should be picked on merit.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to win Olympic Gold in football.

Have you seen who the Brazilians are picking - Neymar, Hulk, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Lucas Moura etc.

Beckham will get embarrassed.

Our over-age players should be like 27/28 not 37/38.

I got ticket's for the quarter final at Wembley, although they haven't come yet. I think Beckham should be in the squad for reason's stated above.

I don't reckon we got a chance in hell after seeing some of the player's the other nation's are bringing.

Do spain usually take a strong squad?

Spain won gold in 92 (Barcelona Olympics) and silver in 2000. They didnt enter in 2004 and 2008 but are putting a team out this year. I still think the winner will come from either Africa or South America as the Euros will have had an effect on the European sides. I think there will be lots of club vs country rows if all the European nations try to call up their strongest teams for the Olympics.

Â