Xbox One

hogso

Both the Xbox 360 and New Xbox versions of Destiny will be cross-compatible. It’s all the same Xbox Live, after all…

Provided the game is more based around co-op than competitive players playing online with each other regardless of their platform will work just fine. It's when you go competitive where issues arise as the Xbox Next player may have the advantage as a next gen game will look crisper, have better draw distances the lot. In co-op while yes the Xbox Next player would have the slight advantage in being able to see AI players easier perhaps that's the only advantage, it's not game breaking or unfair.

For anyone who can't access the above link cos you're at work or something (like me) here are the alledged specs;

CPU:

- x64 Architecture

- 8 CPU cores running at 1.6 gigahertz (GHz)

- each CPU thread has its own 32 KB L1 instruction cache and 32 KB L1 data cache

- each module of four CPU cores has a 2 MB L2 cache resulting in a total of 4 MB of L2 cache

- each core has one fully independent hardware thread with no shared execution resources

- each hardware thread can issue two instructions per clock

GPU:

- custom D3D11.1 class 800-MHz graphics processor

- 12 shader cores providing a total of 768 threads

- each thread can perform one scalar multiplication and addition operation (MADD) per clock cycle

- at peak performance, the GPU can effectively issue 1.2 trillion floating-point operations per second

High-fidelity Natural User Interface (NUI) sensor is always present

Storage and Memory:

- 8 gigabyte (GB) of RAM DDR3 (68 GB/s)

- 32 MB of fast embedded SRAM (ESRAM) (102 GB/s)

- from the GPU’s perspective the bandwidths of system memory and ESRAM are parallel providing combined peak bandwidth of 170 GB/sec.

- Hard drive is always present

- 50 GB 6x Blu-ray Disc drive

Networking:

- Gigabit Ethernet

- Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi Direct

Hardware Accelerators:

- Move engines

- Image, video, and audio codecs

- Kinect multichannel echo cancellation (MEC) hardware

- Cryptography engines for encryption and decryption, and hashing

They appear to be genuine. Basically a current high end PC, and substantially better than the 360. Blu-ray drive.

• 2 weeks later...

So would this bother anyone if true? Not being able to buy second hand games? Or always needing to have your xbox connected to the internet? 

Next-gen Xbox games will require an internet connection in order to function and block second-hand use, according to a new Edge report.

nextxbox.jpg

Microsoft will move to make Xbox Live an "integral" rather than "optional" feature of the next Xbox, with retail games made available for download, the next-gen expose in Edge's latest issue claims.

Physical boxed titles will remain on sale in shops via 50GB Blu-ray discs, but "activation codes" will require verification online, the report adds.

Once verified, sources claim discs will have "no function beyond the initial users - effectively eliminating the second-hand games market as it's currently known.

Edge's information is said to come form "sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft's next generation console."

"Given its experience with 70 million-plus 360 console stats, Microsoft has accumulated enough user data to make the decision to go online-only with its successive hardware one that adds up," the Edge report states.

"Microsoft's hand has been guided by the PC gaming landscape, and viewed through a particular lens it makes sense, even if unbelievers will take some convincing."

It adds: "Ultimately, Microsoft has asked itself a simple question: who wants to play games on a next-generation Xbox and yet doesn't have access to the internet? The answer: not enough to make a considerable difference."

The next Xbox, codename Durango, is said to utilise an AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, a D3D11.x 800MHz graphics solution and 8GB of DDR3 RAM. As of now, the console's hard drive capacity is said to be undecided.

In the same report it's claimed that the PS4 will utilise an improved PlayStation Eye camera and redesigned controller, and have the ability to record and upload gameplay to the internet.

Both next-gen consoles are said to be set for release before this Christmas, although PS4 is unlikely to launch in Europe until "early 2014".

Plenty of games on the current xbox to keep me entertained for the next few years so I doubt I'll be an early adopter. I never pay over £20 (and rarely over a tenner) for a game so if they don't charge reasonable prices after a game is a year or so old I probably will go back to PC gaming.

Next-gen Xbox games will require an internet connection in order to function and block second-hand use, according to a new Edge report.

So, this is Microsoft testing the water for a non optical disk console.... The public response to this is likely to determine whether I win my bet or not.

So, this is Microsoft testing the water for a non optical disk console.... The public response to this is likely to determine whether I win my bet or not.

Judging by an xbox forum I use people are generally not happy about it. Lots of knee-jerk reaction saying they would just not buy one, or buy a PS4. Think many people would change their minds when the console is released though.

Not too sure it would work though, I mean, if my net dropped for a few days and I was unable to use a product I had bought I wouldn't be too happy. 

Judging by an xbox forum I use people are generally not happy about it. Lots of knee-jerk reaction saying they would just not buy one, or buy a PS4. Think many people would change their minds when the console is released though.

Not too sure it would work though, I mean, if my net dropped for a few days and I was unable to use a product I had bought I wouldn't be too happy. 

Lots of people will say that there's no way they'll buy it, that it's unreasonable, and you shouldn't need an internet connection to play single player games. Then they'll buy it anyway. See Diablo 3, and in the next few months, Sim City.

They still won't omit the disk drive. It's one thing to expect all of your customers to have an internet connection, it's another thing entirely to expect them to have one good enough to download all of their games on it, especially in the US with the kind of data caps they have.

I just cant see them doing it yet.  I'm pretty sure that they will build in the facility to turn a "no used games" feature on at some indeterminate point in the future, but the first two years of a consoles life is about getting a huge installed base.  They want to give you reasons to buy the machine, not to boycott it.  Once they have 20m+ units in homes and the Xbox is just a thing that you buy without thinking too deeply about it, then it's time to turn the DRM on. 

I just cant see them doing it yet.  I'm pretty sure that they will build in the facility to turn a "no used games" feature on at some indeterminate point in the future, but the first two years of a consoles life is about getting a huge installed base.  They want to give you reasons to buy the machine, not to boycott it.  Once they have 20m+ units in homes and the Xbox is just a thing that you buy without thinking too deeply about it, then it's time to turn the DRM on. 

That sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. They can't be that crazy.

Insert a clause where the user waivers their right to be part of a class action lawsuit into the EULA of Xbox Live and they are good to go.  I also don't think they will backdate it if they do bring it in, it will just be a feature which gets casually dropped into a tent-pole game in 2015 which people will buy without question.  A FIFA or a Madden or a Call of Duty (or whatever the FPS of choice is on next gen) and just ride out the backlash until it is accepted.  It worked with Steam, it will work here. It's just about how much Microsoft (and Sony) decide to sugar coat it. 

That sounds like a class action lawsuit waiting to happen. They can't be that crazy.

they wouldn't do it for preexisting games, just for games released after a certain point

strong chance this will happen btw

• 1 month later...

Latest rumours suggest that the console will always have to be connected to the internet, the next gen Kinect always has to be plugged in, and games will always be installed when you play them, so you effectively play them of the hard drive, rather than the disc itself.

Could all be fabricated of course, but the always on internet is a curious one, as it raises the question, what would the console do if it wasn't connected to the internet? The suggestion is it'll always want to be on so it can download patches on the fly. I can't imagine it would just refuse to work.

I only recently heard that the 360 will not play arcade/downloaded games offline - is that true? Seems a bit odd. PS3 let's you play any downloaded PSN game when offline.

Â