Macbooks (Merged)

omariqy

I have been thinking about an mbp or an air but I'm put off by the lack of optical drive and poor storage. I'm keep coming back to the form factor though.

I cant remember the last time I used an optical drive on my computer. Storage might be an issue I guess, but external hard drives are great. Dunno how easy it is to connect a Mac to a home server, but I would assume it is fairly trivial.

I'm just interested in hearing people's views on Apple Macs without causing a massive, bias'd debate. I know a few people that own one and say they love them and would never look back and you basically get what you pay for. I just can't get my head around the price tag. £1000 is the minimum if I'm right? So why are people buying them when you could get a monster of a PC/Laptop for the equivalent or even cheaper? I'm just curious--does anybody on VT own one and could enlighten me :)

I've got one. I've never owned a PC, though I use them at work (and occasionally Linux computers).

I bought one of those Candy iMacs in about 2000 as my first computer, knowing next to nothing about computers. I've just stuck with Apple Macs since. My personal perception is that they are more user friendly and better built than any PC I've ever seen or used. They come with all the software, pretty much, that I need to use, and the odd other thing is downloadable for free.

Particularly as far a Laptops go, my opinion and experience is that Macs are way more user friendly, for my way of using them. They are more intuitive, though not as much so as the gap has shrunk as Windows etc have got less bad.

The absence of viruses and nasties means that I've never had any problems or needed any Norton or whatever.

They're more expensive if you're on a budget, though high end PCs can be had for similar sums.

Basically I've stuck with them through liking the user experience, build quality and never having come across any other type that I've found better for my needs.

I'm quite sure different people will have different opinions or experiences, but I'd be reluctant to change to another type of OS or machine. I don't "love" it, but I'm very taken by the way mine have always been trouble free and a joy to use, as well as appreciating that they are superbly built and designed.

• 1 month later...

I bought my iMac in December after years of being a staunch PC owner. I'm very happy with it. It's a 21.5" and it cost me £840 in a sale at Makro (same model was a grand on Apples website). Best thing about it so far is the screen, which is simply gorgeous. Build quality initially feels alot better too, but lets see how the next few years go.

• 1 month later...

I had a Macbook, had all sorts of problems with it and eventually gave up with it after 18 months when the Logic Board failed. I also owned a Iphone which gave up just after the warranty period. The idea that they 'just work' couldn't be further from the truth in my experience, although on the other hand I know a lot of people who swear by them and have never had any problems with Apple products.

I have to say nowadays I tend to use my laptop only for browsing so I'll be tempted to look into a Chromebook next time I invest in a laptop.

• 2 weeks later...

For example on the older White MacBooks their was a known case cracking problem around the joins on the bottom and top parts, if this ever happened Apple would pay for the repair themselves from an authorised service provider. Pay for it to be picked up by courier, fixed and returned you didn't have to pay for anything.

This is interesting, as I have a white MacBook with that problem, despite the fact that it has been generally cared for. As it is about 2 years old, and therefore out of warranty, I guess that I have nowhere to go with Apple on this, or have I?

I'm about to buy a MacBook Pro, so if I can get the old one fixed prior to selling it, that would be great.

It's clearly a manufacturing defect, therefore covered for six years. Granted, you may have to return it to where you bought it, but it's clearly their problem and will be fixed at their expense.

It's clearly a manufacturing defect, therefore covered for six years. Granted, you may have to return it to where you bought it, but it's clearly their problem and will be fixed at their expense.

Thanks. I'll check it out and report back with the outcome.

Where do you have to go to get this issue fixed?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Go back to where you bought it. If it was from someone who happen to have a shop too, then they might accept it at the shop. Find out your rights about this, google "sale of goods" site:gov.uk

• 1 month later...

Well I made a 'genius bar' appointment and took to back to the Apple Store.

The guy (politely) pointed out that it was out of warranty, and I quoted the 'recognised manufacturing defect' point.

After brief consultation they accepted it and it was fixed within one hour. I now have a 'like new' white MacBook to pass on to a grateful family member!

Elevated marks to Apple for the service, but absolute top marks to Limpid for the advice, in recognition of which a token donation has been made to VT.

:D

I'm not sure Apple's "Genius" service deserve elevated marks for lying to you, but they complied with the law in the end and saved you having to take legal action. Perhaps a passing grade.

Thanks for the donation though. :mrgreen:

• 4 months later...
Â