Macbooks (Merged)

omariqy

I know what you mean. A change is fresh and new. I am looking forward to Windows 8. As a windows fan this will be totally fresh and new.

Toshiba are great at making quality all rounders. Anyway go get the Air if you want to to switch to OSX.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I I just wondered why the air was being favoured. From what I've read the air can edit but it can't do it intensively. I don't really see why you would get the air unless you were always carrying your computer with you, and but I will admit that I don't really know the significant differences between the models.

I know that I like the look of the Pro Retina but my bank account doesn't. It's pricey.

Stick to the old adage that you shouldnt buy first generation Apple products and you wont go far wrong, and that includes the current Macbook Pro with retina display.

I think retina display will be in all Macbook Pro's within 18 months. Haswell (2013) and Broadwell (2014) chipsets will mean it is possible. Retina display style pixel density will be ubiquitous on £700+ laptops (including Macbook Air/Ultrabook style computers) by 2015, which is **** awesome when you think about it.

Yeah thanks Rev. The 'retina' displays are amazing, and the Macbook Pros are pretty compact already. I think eventually technology will plateau, I mean, how much more do these machines need to handle?

They're already tiny, they're already incredibly powerful and the displays are getting better and better. What more can we throw at them?

I havent been that impressed with the Retina display tbh. While that sounds like a stupid thing to say, I have had quite a few plays with the machine at the Apple store and the huge Currys in Black on High Street (I work in the city centre so sometimes I'll go for a wander on my lunch break) and I just dont think the world is ready for it yet. The web still looks like shit and there is very still little video in that resolution. Photos look great and you can run very high resolution video in a window, which does look amazing btw, which is really handy if you work in media but not worth the premium if you just want to consume it. It will all change in a year or two as everybody catches up but for now it's more a statement of intent from Apple than a must have item in my opinion.

• 4 months later...

Just got this for £570:

MacBook Air. 11-inch. Mid 2011

Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5

HDD: 128 GB SSD

Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Resolution: 1366x768

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

Software: OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)

Battery count:74.

All looks sweet too.

Edited by b23avfc

im looking at getting the new imac in a few weeks. I cant keep doing freelance on my old G5 then grind my teeth at how great and quuck my imac is at work. Tho not sure if I should upgrade to Abobe Cloud or just get CS6 and onky subscribe to Muse.

Edited by stewiek2

In 2013 people are buying laptops that have a worse screen resolution than my laptop in about 2002. **** me it's depressing how much screen technology has stagnated,

What a bizarre rant.  In 2013 there are an absolute **** ton of displays which are at "retina" 300+ ppi density. The human eye cant even detect higher density than that, so pushing beyond it is essentially pointless. 

In 2013 people are buying laptops that have a worse screen resolution than my laptop in about 2002. **** me it's depressing how much screen technology has stagnated,

What a bizarre rant.  In 2013 there are an absolute **** ton of displays which are at "retina" 300+ ppi density. The human eye cant even detect higher density than that, so pushing beyond it is essentially pointless. 

I'm surprised at you falling for the marketing shite from Apple. The human eye can resolve to about 900 dpi.

and "Retina" is an apple trademark.

Oh, I know it's a trademark but it's widely recognised in common conversation these days so it is going to creep into the language I choose to use.   300 ppi has been a figure around for ages before Apple picked up on it though, it's been a rule of thumb in printing for years, though they would call it 300dpi. Of course how much pixel density you can detect really does depend on your distance from the screen but just going from old video game chatter pushing beyond 300ppi and 60 frames a second is fairly pointless from a visual fidelity point of view.  

There is a separate argument over refresh rates in games to do with control over them, mostly because a computer will poll the position of a controller/mouse/whatever when the screen refreshes so you get crazy people playing Quake convinced that having 400 frames per second is genuinely useful, but that's another topic completely. 

• Like 1

That's the thing, there aren't any. There's a few core Apple apps which are half-decent for doing everyday stuff, and garageband is supposed to be OK for novelty.

Genuinely don't see the appeal of Macs. They're the worst compromise. You get no compatibility with Windows which most of the world uses, and you get none of the power and massive software catalogue of GNU/Linux.

Â