Macbooks (Merged)

omariqy

The Wife, very generously, is buying me a laptop and I think I will go for the Macbook Pro. I was wondering is it worth paying a bit more to get the next model up. It seems a big difference in price for not that much difference in hardware?

It will do those with ease, depending on what your work is. Though I assume if your work was anything demanding on computers like editing and rendering video then you wouldnt need to ask this question.

I'll also be the guy who says you can get a much more powerful laptop for significantly less than the £1000 or so a Macbook Pro will cost. A similarly specced Windows laptop to the 13" entry level Macbook Pro will cost less than £500.

I think if I were going to buy a Mac then I would actually go with the 13" Macbook Air. The 2011 refresh has a very capable CPU in it, it runs FM2011 if the internet is to be believed and good god it is gorgeous. I think the form factor of the Air is the killer app that Windows PC's just cant compete with.

• 3 weeks later...

Need a new laptop, this thing is falling apart.

I was going to go with a windows as they are 1/4 of the price and have the same spec. When it clunks down and dies after three years, I'll get another new one for £400-£500, or am I making a mistake in not getting a Mac in?

I was going to go with a windows as they are 1/4 of the price and have the same spec. When it clunks down and dies after three years, I'll get another new one for £400-£500, or am I making a mistake in not getting a Mac in?

Nope.

Why spend £1000 on a piece of kit with a fruit on it which will be obselete in 18 months anyway when you could spend £400 on the same piece of kit, without the fruit only for that to be obselete just as fast.......

Dell make quality laptops. Best bang for your buck I have found is here at the Dell outlet. They sell refurbs, but they get the same warranty as new and as most refurbs tend to be unwanted gifts or early returns with no fault then you are essentially getting a brand new machine at a significant discount. Definitely worth checking.

Nope.

Why spend £1000 on a piece of kit with a fruit on it which will be obselete in 18 months anyway when you could spend £400 on the same piece of kit, without the fruit only for that to be obselete just as fast.......

Err load of shit.

I've had a MacBook Pro since the unibody was introduced in 08, still going strong, still running the the latest Mac OS, in fact just updated to the new one to support iCloud.

If your going to post something in a specific thread at least know what your on about.

Regarding the OP if your considering a Pro then save a few bucks and get a MacBook Air, they are stupidly fast in real word situations sometimes faster than a lower Pro.

MacBook Pro are for just that pro, large image/video editing etc..

Saw another new Macbook Air the other day. It was the 11" model and the thing is about the same size as an iPad, it is very impressive. I'm not sure how much use the small size is to you if you never take your computer out of the house, but for somebody with a commute it would be very tempting.

Nope.

Err load of shit.

I've had a MacBook Pro since the unibody was introduced in 08, still going strong, still running the the latest Mac OS, in fact just updated to the new one to support iCloud.

If your going to post something in a specific thread at least know what your on about.

Regarding the OP if your considering a Pro then save a few bucks and get a MacBook Air, they are stupidly fast in real word situations sometimes faster than a lower Pro.

MacBook Pro are for just that pro, large image/video editing etc..

I think you know what he meant. MacBooks are stupidly average considering their price. I have had a MacBook Pro in the past, so I'm not an Apple hater.

I will however never buy an Apple laptop or desktop in the future. Nice OS and all, yet regular computers give you so much more bang for your buck. That can't be denied...

I think you know what he meant. MacBooks are stupidly average considering their price. I have had a MacBook Pro in the past, so I'm not an Apple hater.

I will however never buy an Apple laptop or desktop in the future. Nice OS and all, yet regular computers give you so much more bang for your buck. That can't be denied...

That would be a matter of opinion, Macs cost more because their build quality is much much higher, the OS is better and have dedicated support.

In the same time i've had my MacBook Pro previous i went through god knows how many plastic shitty pc's with all sorted of problems caused by naff windows.

Dell picking up this one to be fixed, or that one various makes.

I didn't want to spend more but decided to in the end, they actually feel like they are built properly as well rather than plastic snappy bits and a god awful OS. Made worse by trying to copy Mac OS in recent years; even tried Linux, but with all the snob know it alls using that it turns out they were wrong too.

That would be a matter of opinion, Macs cost more because their build quality is much much higher, the OS is better and have dedicated support.

If they cost more because the OS is better, how come the OS costs 1/3 of the price of Windows 7?

In the same time i've had my MacBook Pro previous i went through god knows how many plastic shitty pc's with all sorted of problems caused by naff windows.

Dell picking up this one to be fixed, or that one various makes.

I didn't want to spend more but decided to in the end, they actually feel like they are built properly as well rather than plastic snappy bits and a god awful OS. Made worse by trying to copy Mac OS in recent years; even tried Linux, but with all the snob know it alls using that it turns out they were wrong too.

Agree with all of this.

Macbooks just feel "solid", in every aspect. The whole user experience is just much more pleasing, and i'm a lot more confident of my mac's ability to last more than a couple of years than I was with my previous Dell Notebooks,

• 1 month later...

I'm just interested in hearing people's views on Apple Macs without causing a massive, bias'd debate. I know a few people that own one and say they love them and would never look back and you basically get what you pay for. I just can't get my head around the price tag. £1000 is the minimum if I'm right? So why are people buying them when you could get a monster of a PC/Laptop for the equivalent or even cheaper? I'm just curious--does anybody on VT own one and could enlighten me :)

The Air is the killer product in my opinion. That one is worth money

I wouldn't pay for the others unless I have to use them for something very demanding and MacOS specific

Why is the Air the killer product?

The form-factor, It's extremely thin, light and still packs a good punch. It's limited if you want a screen bigger than 11 and 13 inches though. Check it out at a dealer to see the difference.

There are a couple of windows machines from Asus and Samsung that rivals it but they are similarly priced and no other perks that I know of.

Apple in general is a premium product, your paying for a very high build quality, they create the OS and the hardware so is designed to work together, when things go wrong this helps a lot.

The Air is a killer because although the specs dont show it, its just as quick as the pro in real world scenarios.

The hardware feels well built, its like the difference between buying something from John Lewis and then buying something from Aldi. Feels like it will last and most of the time it will. You obviously have the odd problems, selling millions of units your bound to, but Apple will always try and sort you out if you can make it to an Apple show that is.

For example on the older White MacBooks their was a known case cracking problem around the joins on the bottom and top parts, if this ever happened Apple would pay for the repair themselves from an authorised service provider. Pay for it to be picked up by courier, fixed and returned you didn't have to pay for anything.

Obviously if you split tea all over the keyboard that would be your fault.

Apple also try and learn from this, their next laptop designed completely eliminated the join that cracked, built from one piece of aluminium so the whole unit is solid and feels well built.

No company is perfect, they do things their way and lock you into things, but if that doesn't bother you lots of folk enjoy em.

Other PC laptops are defiantly cheaper, but during the lifetime of your Mac you'll probably had to have bought 2 or 3 pc laptops because they've broken after using shitty parts. ;)

Â