Macbooks (Merged)

omariqy

Gone from a Macbook to a Macbook Air.

Two things that piss me off about the Air.

One I knew before purchase - No CD/DVD/Blu drive.

The other is that Audacity and Spin Doctor, the audio capture software, seem not to be able to route a direct digital audio stream internally. This is really very gay.

The Air is very slick product, compact, solid feeling, no fan - indeed no moving parts beyond keys and hinges - Great for recording audio, but for me as a listener I'm slightly miffed that two of the most useful features have gone, and It cost £170 more than its (not cheap) predecessor.

I updated my Mac to the Lion OS software (Mountain Lion) and found that Spin Doctor stopped working. So I went back to Snow Leopard, and it's fine.

Not changing up again. I think they're making the OS worse by migrating to a more iPad based/iOS style.

The two things are different, computers and iPads and trying to kind of merge them is a bad thing.

Also re the Disc drive - I don't wantto let my oldish laptop go, because it has one, and I don't want to have to buy a new computer and external disc player thingy. - they're dropping it too early, on the back of chasing iTunes sales and all this cloud gubbins - great for iPads and pods and phones, but not sure it's what I want for a computer as an integral part. As an add on, fine - i.e. the way it works with snow leopard, is better IMO.

The hardware is terrific, if costly, but I'm not at all impressed with the direction the OS is going in for desktops and laptops.

I'm pretty sure the Macbook is going to have a touch screen in the not too distant future.  I think Apple are getting the OS to a place where they can just introduce touch seamlessly before they change the hardware rather than adopt the "change everything at once" policy that Microsoft have chosen for Windows 8. 

As for optical disc drives, I honestly cant remember the last time I used one. I have two on my desktop PC and one on my laptop. I'm actually toying with the idea of putting a second hard drive in the laptop where the optical drive is currently housed. 

• 2 months later...

Finally got round to picking up a MacBook Pro.

Any suggestions on killer apps? Have tried iMovie but can't get on with it. Any affordable alternatives?

Yeah, I see that.

Guess it was two questions really.

1. What's a better option for video editing than iMovie (that won't break the bank)?

2. Any other suggestions for good apps (I'm a mac noob so looking for general recommendations on good apps).

Final Cut Pro 7 is what most people (TV, internet video, some movies) use.   Final Cut 10 is the latest version but for some reason people seem to hate it. I have no idea why because I've never used either of them. 

Final Cut Studio 3 (which includes Final Cut Pro 7) has a much more professional feel. Final Cut Pro X is more like a combination of FCP7 and iMovie. I used to hate FCPX but that was because I was coming from an FCP 7 background, now I quite like it for smaller projects.

FCP 7 for industry standard projects.

FCP X for hobbyist/low-level professional projects.

Â