The, he's finally GONE! Tell us your thoughts Thread

Richard

Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. Do you THINK McLeish will be gone by next season?

• Yes I think he will
    • No I think he will be here

Any more signs of his imminent departure today? I'll be worried if he is still in charge this time next week as it would be senseless to keep him on after the Norwich game unless he is staying.

• Replies 17.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When we end up going for a new manager, I only hope the club have learned their lesson and do not base it solely on an "interview process"

I'd interview a secretary and ask for references, but with managers there is so much more statistical analysis, success measurement and style of play to be considered.

Sounds like the reason McLeish got the job in the first place because Martinez said no, and McLeish was as good at using Microsoft Powerpoint.

how many fans of other clubs in need of a manager some time soon would want McLeish as there manager ?

The media may talk shite about him but with real fans from other clubs that i have spoken to the game is up.

Was talking to a Spurs fan before the game on Sunday and he said he can't stand McLeish because he said he never attacks (which is spot on). He also said, and I quote "we'll come to your place and play like the home team". Spot on as well.

I think there are a few idiots out there that just eat up all the shit served up by the media and think we don't like him because of where he came from but the large majority of fans recognise what a shit manager he is.

In fairness, Spurs fans do like to large it, and the fact that we had another dour game papered over the fact that Spurs were pretty shit. We conceded all the space in the world to ther star midfielder and, if the game was still going on now, they wouldn't have scored from open play.

The views of opposition supporters should be of zero concern.

how many fans of other clubs in need of a manager some time soon would want McLeish as there manager ?

The media may talk shite about him but with real fans from other clubs that i have spoken to the game is up.

Was talking to a Spurs fan before the game on Sunday and he said he can't stand McLeish because he said he never attacks (which is spot on). He also said, and I quote "we'll come to your place and play like the home team". Spot on as well.

I think there are a few idiots out there that just eat up all the shit served up by the media and think we don't like him because of where he came from but the large majority of fans recognise what a shit manager he is.

In fairness, Spurs fans do like to large it, and the fact that we had another dour game papered over the fact that Spurs were pretty shit. We conceded all the space in the world to ther star midfielder and, if the game was still going on now, they wouldn't have scored from open play.

The views of opposition supporters should be of zero concern.

We heard you the first time.

:)

The fact Mcleish thinks the like of Henry, Guthrie and O'Hara would improve this squad is reason enough to sack him. He loves the term 'dynamic' when describing the type of modfielder him wants. What he really should saying is hard working thug. There's no room at Villa for players like this. We already have Herd and Clark who can do a job of that ilk. What we need is technically superior players to what already here.

If mcleish gets his way, even the players remaining with that will be shipped out.

I agree with you re: Henry but Guthrie and O'Hara are not "hard-working thugs". Guthrie is an extremely tidy footballer, lumping him in with Henry is just wrong. And as for O'Hara, he's a completely different kind of player.

Whether or not they're good enough for Villa is another issue. Personally I think they're both miles better than the likes of Delph and considering the season we've just had, I don't think we're in a position to turn our noses up at a player like Guthrie who has been impressive (if not necessarily first choice) for a team currently in 5th.

I think (and hope) that by talking about plans for next season McLeish is just trying to keep a brave face. Surely he must feel as though his job is at risk? I mean, I know some people think he's deluded but he simply cannot be that oblivious to the world around him.

Although his appointment defied logic in the first place, keeping him on now would take things to a completely different level of insanity.

I think (and hope) that by talking about plans for next season McLeish is just trying to keep a brave face. Surely he must feel as though his job is at risk? I mean, I know some people think he's deluded but he simply cannot be that oblivious to the world around him.

Although his appointment defied logic in the first place, keeping him on now would take things to a completely different level of insanity.

I think the only thing that his talk tells us is that he has no plans to resign. The translation, I hope, is "sack me or keep me, I won't be quitting."

Which is probably the wisest thing to do in his position - he's not going to be the most employable of football managers at the moment, in fact he's pretty much a laughing stock even with other clubs' fans. If he's going to go, he will be wanting to get the maximum payout to see him through while he tries to rebuild a very tarnished reputation.

I think the only thing that his talk tells us is that he has no plans to resign. The translation, I hope, is "sack me or keep me, I won't be quitting."

Which is probably the wisest thing to do in his position - he's not going to be the most employable of football managers at the moment, in fact he's pretty much a laughing stock even with other clubs' fans. If he's going to go, he will be wanting to get the maximum payout to see him through while he tries to rebuild a very tarnished reputation.

I would not give that man a job managing A KFC, let a lone a football club.

'PussEKatt' we lost our label as an attacking team once Downing and Young were sold.

Dont agree with that.We are still a team that prefers to attack,its just that without Downing and Young we dont do it as well.And then McLeish came along and now we have players that want to attack bieng told to defend.No wonder we are crap on the field, the players are bieng asked to play a style of football that is completly alien to them.

Attack with what exactly?

Before Keane was signed in January neither of our wingers was playing to form so no supply to Bent.

Very little creativity in midfield until Ireland started to find some form and when he did, then Bent got a bad injury.

However when Keane arrived in January we had more of an attacking threat through the middle but when Keane left that attacking threat went with him.

You also have to factor in Gabby's injury, his subsequent loss of form and please tell me how then could McLeish set us up as an attacking team?

He simply couldn't so he made us hard to beat to try and get enough points to keep us safe.

You are looking at the symptoms but ignoring the underlying disease.

NZogbia came to us on a high having almost single handedly keeping Wigan up.

Albrighton should have made this his break through season.

Ireland in and out of the team due to "illness" and "injury"

Gabby being played as a winger even though McLeish said he wouldnt

Bent touching the ball less than any other player in the premier league

All of those were down to bad luck and Downing/Young going.

Come off it.

New club and loss of form concerning N'Zogbia. It does happen you know.

Blaming the manager for Albrighton not breaking through this season is unfair. Albrighton isn't good enough and has shown that consistently this season.

Gabby was played on the wing due to a lack of form from our wide men.

Bent touching the ball less than any other player in the Premiership due to a complete lack of service from our wide men (see above) and of course the loss of our quality wingers Downing and Young.

Anything else?

Yes, one or two of those in isolation and you can say "these things happen", for them all to happen at once indicates your manager doesnt know what he is doing. Something born out by his results over the course of the season.

I respect you trying to find daisies in the shitpile, but not convinced by your arguments.

'Daisies in the shitpile' eh. Thats a new one on me :lol:

No worries mate about our debate. We all want him gone. I just don't think he is to blame for everything that has happened this season and i also think he has been given a poisoned chalice.

Amen to that brother! :-)

I think I have written elsewhere on here that a root and branch change is needed at the club so no arguments there. If we are to get the best out of the young players coming through and build something for the future we need to completely restructure the playing staff. All that said, McLeish has underperformed at every juncture of this season and his excuses are getting tiresome.

poor, poor manager and that is what matters.

Morpheus, I think it's a bit naive to under-estimate the influence the manager of a football club has on the way a team plays. It really hit home to me how much this was McLeish's fault during that spell before Christmas when we raised the white flag to the top 4 teams. Yes, Albrighton and N'Zogbia have been disappointing but you have to analyse the way the team has been set up to look at why that has been the case. I particularly recall the Man Utd home game when Albrighton received the ball out wide he had no option inside as our central midfield pairing were clearly under instructions to stay on the half-way line. So what happens? He has one option which is to run down the line. Easy to defend against. They can send 2 or even 3 players to close him down knowing all he can do is try and hoof it into the box under pressure, often a long way out. As a team we have been starved of possession such is McLeish's insistence of keeping everyone in our own box. This is in effect drains confidence when we do get the ball and a vicious circle develops. Hence why even possessing one of the best strikers in the league we are the second lowest goalscorers.[/quote

All good points mate and i hear what you and 99% of the guys and girls on here are saying. I could debate your post and re-state my reasons for thinking that to an extent McLeish has been dealt a poison chalice but it's been a long hard season, even for those VTs who ( including me) have defended him on several points, so i'm just going to wait until after the Norwich game to see what happens and hopefully we'll get the trigger pulled on his tenure.

Sorry don't know whats happened above^^ but my apologies to 'chips'ngravy' as my answer probably got lost in the bullshit that was my post, the sum of which was that i could reiterate my previous points of debate but as it has been a particularly hard season for the 1% (me) that have tried to defend McLeish on several points, i'm just going to wait until after the game against Norwich, by which time, hopefully, the trigger will have been pulled on McLeish's tenure?

McLeish's words have been similar to Steve Kean's in preparing for the summer and next season. As much as we'd like it he's not going to come out and admit how shit he is. Over to you Lerner and Faulkner.

I just thank the Lord and Saviour Paul McGrath that our "told you so" was not as bad as the Blackburn fans' "told you so".

Probably, but not this season and that's the main thing. Now let's get rid :)

Yeah the Villa board have got away with it this season, I don't think they will next.

I think (and hope) that by talking about plans for next season McLeish is just trying to keep a brave face

I think more likely he is telling Lerner I ain't going anywhere without my payoff so get your cheque book out

Edit : just read CrackpotForeigner had already said as much ..d'oh

Think we can have a poll?

Do you THINK he will be gone ?

Not do you want him gone or not but do you THINK he will be gone? Would that be OK Brian ?

Â