Rugby World Cup 2011

Jezza

that was horrible to watch - too many silly penalties and lucky we weren't punished (saying that, Wilkinson missed 5 or 6 pens today - game could've been out of sight second half)

Argentina are a tough team and in a way, a hard match like this first off should prepare us well for the remainder of the tourno.

that was horrible to watch

Yeah the commentary was **** awful. Worst I can ever remember.

Why can't ITV learn from the excellent Tour de France coverage on ITV4 and get tried and trusted (& proper) broadcasters to front their commentary?

It's only a poor spectator sport if you are a poor spectator and by that I mean you don't really appreciate the game. It is fair enough if you don't if you need something more aesthetically pleasing than Rugby union but just because you don't appreciate something doesn't mean it's no good.

As for the game England were terrible 1st half but always the better team even if they weren't showing it. Wilkinson was as poor as I think I've ever seen him and was the difference between a comfortable win and a nervy one.

We were much better after the changes so Johno has some thinking to do. We got away with a poor Show today but it's job done but they will have to improve and do so rapidly.

Similar to Scotland, England only came to life for the last 15 minutes of the match!

TBF we had 10 RWC debutants on show & you have to give some credit to Argentina they made it really tough for us.

Never seen Wilkinson kick so poorly albeit some of the spots were not easy.

Nice to see Francois Pienaar on the ITV panel... have huge respect for the guy after watching Invictus.

That was utter, utter crap. 11 or 12 of those guys were an embarrassment to our country.

We will never learn. When we play an expansive game (which we can do no matter what the detractors say) we look an infinitely better team. Since the Italy game in the 6N we've looked flat, bereft of ideas and for the most part lacking in physicality, both at the breakdown and in general (although Lawes put himself about). We have no creativity and our only plans seems to be to throw it to the wing as quickly as possible or try and barge our way through. Depressing. Not sure why Johnno seems to have abandoned the game plan that worked so well against the Aussies a couple of times last year. Changes are needed in the coaching staff if we're going to stop ourselves stagnating further. I'm sincerely hoping I'm singing a different song next week :).

Nice to see Haskell showing a bit of passion at the end :).

Oh and I wish BBC had the broadcasting rights. ITV are beyond shit. Ryder was getting the score wrong for about an hour after the game, saying we'd won by a single point. Tit.

Not sure what you call it, but on the short animation that plays before and after the ad break on the ITV coverage, has anyone else noticed that the image of the ball that forms looks like it takes a dump just before the words appear beneath it? That was at least one thing that raised a smile for us this morning :)

An awful game and a dreadful performance from England. They put in a shift as flakey as the numbers on their shirts.

Only people to emerge with much or any credit were Foden and then Hartley and Youngs when they came on (Youngs especially looked to inject some pace).

Actually Cole didn't seem to have a bad game (sin bin excepted).

Thought Lawes was good. He stepped up to the physicality more than anyone else. Foden made one great break then completely fluffed the pass to Armitage - who also did well I thought - that would've sent him over in the corner.

Thought Lawes was good. He stepped up to the physicality more than anyone else. Foden made one great break then completely fluffed the pass to Armitage - who also did well I thought - that would've sent him over in the corner.

Fair enough, Lawes probably did do okay. I do like him, too.

On the Foden/Armitage thing, surely that was Armitage's error? He should have got closer to Foden, I thought.

You're right, perhaps Armitage could've made it easier but it should have been a simple pass either way to be fair, and a player of pretty much any decent level should've been able to make it.

That said, I'll admit that I haven't seen it again since the game so I could well be wrong.

Barnes **** up again. Utter disgrace in Wales match. Refused to check what everyone except the blind touch judges could see was a clearly converted penalty in the first half then got in the way of Welsh tacklers for the Jarpies to get a free run under the post.

Needless to say, the Aussie press are laying into England for a "lucky", "toothless", "error-strewn" display, and theya ll predict that England will not go far in the tournament. Would love to see the Wallablies get a good pasting soon. Then the papers will shut the f**k up. But the media is right - is was an utter sh1te display, although it was good to get a tough game first up.

It was a poor display. All that matters in the group stages, though, is that you win your games... and that's what England did. I think we'll top our group. Once the quarters and semis start, it's a completely different ball game. We're still almost a month away from that. Plenty of time to generate the necessary cohesion.

Â