Rugby World Cup 2011

Jezza

The fitness levels and preparation of the current welsh side is phenomenal - i cant remember seeing a better prepared welsh side going out to a world cup.

mike phillips must have shed about half his body fat looking at him.

that win over england in cardiff showed wales can mix it with people coming with a physical approach

I will take your word for it, you would have a better idea of their condition than I do.

The England side you faced that day though is nowhere near as physical as the sides you are set to face. It is also different playing one phyisical game to playing 3 of them.

Jezza wrote:

If the Saffers start to get battered physically, they will resort to dirty tactis to get themselves over the line, even if one or two of them get themselves sin-binned along the way.

Extremely likely, wouldn't be surprised to see a red or a few sightings from their games.

:D I know who my money is on....

Note- first minute of the game

He was a bit more patient this time...

Please allow me to assist. The Welsh will be playing Western Samoa in the Group stages, I recommend you innocently ask your Welsh friends about the W Samoa games in the 1991 and 1999 World Cup. Once the glazed and traumatised look has disappeared from their faces I expect their confidence will have somewhat diminished :winkold:

Seriously though, that is one tough group the Welsh are in- South Africa, Samoa and Fiji. My 'bok mates are very worried about the physicality of the teams, so if Wales do make it through to the QFs they can probably expect to have picked up a few injuries along the way.

The Welsh players are in for one hell of a tough time, they are going to get absolutely physically battered in their group games. If they make it through it will not be without paying a price along the way.

I think the same is true of SA who will make it through but despite being no strangers to big hits may just come off worse than Wales seeing as they like to dish it out as well.

The fitness levels and preparation of the current welsh side is phenomenal - i cant remember seeing a better prepared welsh side going out to a world cup.

that win over england in cardiff showed wales can mix it with people coming with a physical approach

I have to agree with that. Gatland and co have really whipped the Welsh into phenomenal shape. It pains me to say it but I think they'll do well. Shame as I was looking forward to having a smirk at a loss to my second team, Fiji :). It would be the least I deserve after having to listen to constant "English word removed blah blah blah" nonsense whenever I watch the rugby in Cardiff.

Yeah but on the other hand, a decent wing would be more likely to be a certain starter for England given our lack of depth/talent in that area.

Actually, what am I on about? With MJ in charge they'd be probably wouldn't get a look in and go the way of our other exciting options, Strettle and Sharples etc.

Would bloody love North, Hook or Warburton playing for England.

I will take your word for it, you would have a better idea of their condition than I do.

The England side you faced that day though is nowhere near as physical as the sides you are set to face. It is also different playing one phyisical game to playing 3 of them.

There was a program on BBC Wales (obviously biased!...) the other night that showed theyre going out there as probably the fittest possible.

I appreciate the differences in physicality - but getting pounded into by a 16 stone centre wearing an England shirt is about the same as they'll be facing on Sunday - except of course the accent and clothing!

Samoa/Fiji - Wales should be ok - but thats the same old story - set piece side of the game we'll kill them - in the scrum we'll beat anyone as long as Adam Jones is in as Paul James and Gethin Jenkins are both very good scrummagers.

I fancy our chances on Sunday - we're better than them in the scrum, Beast will get his ass handed to him from the first whistle and will end up coming off just after half time. I just worry if Davies / Roberts in the centre are too much alike.

Anyways - still think England will do well, but Australia or France to win it, for me.

Yeah but on the other hand, a decent wing would be more likely to be a certain starter for England given our lack of depth/talent in that area.

Actually, what am I on about? With MJ in charge they'd be probably wouldn't get a look in and go the way of our other exciting options, Strettle and Sharples etc.

Would bloody love North, Hook or Warburton playing for England.

I cant believe you lot have taken Hape to the tournament after his performance in Cardiff.

That was individually the worst performance I've seen from an Englishman in Cardiff in many years.

Worse than Banahan? Although at least he will run through someone once every fifty or so times!

Agreed though, Hape offers nothing. Barritt and Allen would be far, far better options. MJ's biggest flaw seems that he seems to be very conservative and stubborn with his selection.

Jezza wrote:

If the Saffers start to get battered physically, they will resort to dirty tactics to get themselves over the line, even if one or two of them get themselves sin-binned along the way.

Extremely likely, wouldn't be surprised to see a red or a few sightings from their games.

:D I know who my money is on....

He was a bit more patient this time...

The saffers do have this brainless and cowardly ability to dish out dirty cheap shots - it will take something quite innocuous to set them off, and that's when the match officials have to be awake, especially the TV referee. Anyway, looking forward to the saffers getting some of their own medecine back at some point!!

So tired after staying up to see Scotland finally beat Romania

Come on England!...

Been to Dunedin & the Otago Peninisula, where the Royal Albatrosses breed on a mainland..the only place int he world!..........flip this RWC brings back happy memories of trips to NZ! Wished I could have gone over for this, would have been awesome.

There was a program on BBC Wales (obviously biased!...) the other night that showed theyre going out there as probably the fittest possible.

I'm sure they are but really, would you expect it to say anything else?

I appreciate the differences in physicality - but getting pounded into by a 16 stone centre wearing an England shirt is about the same as they'll be facing on Sunday - except of course the accent and clothing!

With respect I don't agree mate, I think the hits are far bigger even if the guys look much the same. Its a different mentality and a different way of playing the game.

Samoa/Fiji - Wales should be ok - but thats the same old story - set piece side of the game we'll kill them - in the scrum we'll beat anyone as long as Adam Jones is in as Paul James and Gethin Jenkins are both very good scrummagers.

I'm not saying you will struggle just that 3 such physical games will come at a cost, either in those games or if and when you face better competition at a later stage.

Anyways - still think England will do well, but Australia or France to win it, for me.

We aren't quite good enough to win it but reaching another final isn't out th question. Its NZ or South Africa for me I think, not sure about the Aussies and don't fancy the French to do it.

Â