Predictions and general chat

BOF

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

2012 - Falcons

2013 - Superbowl winning Seahawks..

I don't get it

That will be a joke fail on my part then :( .... The web site I looked at had the Bronco's as the number 1 seed both of those years 

Edited by tonyh29

Derek Wolfe resigned, fantastic. The only issue locking down this D looks to be Malik Jackson, he will demand a truckload and with our other FAs I doubt we can afford him. Sucks, he wrecks havoc up front

8 minutes ago, Mozzavfc said:

UK to get a Franchise by 2022

Looks like the Nfl are still looking to give us a team. I guess they'd have float around stadiums, because I can't see they building a stadium just for them 

I assume they will use Wembley along with Spurs and possibly West Ham. Unlikely to play north of Watford I would imagine.  

I thought it was generally accepted that Spurs' new stadium was going to be able to accommodate both sports and that it was going to house any franchise that materialises.

You can't say the players are doing playoffs for the money

NFL player contracts are irrelevant in the playoffs, as postseason pay comes from the league, not the team. Pay is identical—and relatively small—for every player, regardless of impact on team performance. These are the (cumulative) per-player payouts this year.

• Wild card round (division winner): $25,000
  • Wild card round (wild card team): $23,000
  • Divisional round: $25,000
  • Conference championships: $46,000
  • Super Bowl (loser): $51,000
  • Super Bowl (winner): $102,000

Note that teams earning a bye week for the first round—Panthers, Cardinals, Broncos and Patriots—were not paid for that week of practice. Let’s now compare that to a couple of examples of regular-season pay.

Peyton Manning is actually one of the few players in the NFL with postseason incentives in his contract—a $2 million incentive for both winning this weekend’s AFC Championship and for winning the Super Bowl. Manning only has those incentives due to the fact that replaced a secure $4 million his scheduled $19 million salary in a negotiated pay cut. Taking his revised salary of $15 million, here is his pay for the last four weeks, the final three weeks of the regular season and the first three weeks of the postseason:

• Weeks 15, 16, 17: $882,000 per week
  • Week 18 (Wild Card): $0
  • Week 19 (Divisional): $25,000
  • Week 20 (Conference): $46,000

Thus, Manning made $2.646 million for the last three regular-season games and 2.7% of that ($71,000) for his current playoff run, for which the most he can make (minus incentives) is $173,000.

Going beyond a franchise quarterback, here are the four-week earnings of Richard Sherman, top cornerback and fellow columnist at The MMQB, whose 2015 salary was $10 million:

• Weeks 15, 16, 17: $588,000 per week
  • Week 18: $23,000
  • Week 19: $25,000

Thus, Sherman made $1.178 million for the last two regular-season games and 4% of that, $48,000, for his two playoff games.

Even a player making the lowest salary allowed, the NFL minimum of $435,000, made almost $26,000 per week this season, still more than any player in the postseason made in the Wild-Card or Divisional playoff round.

• Like 1

Tanier's previews

Brady-Manning I did not have that much to do with Tom Brady. Oh sure, it was Brady's first start, but he completed just 13 passes in that historic 44-13 victory. Ty Law and Otis Smith returned interceptions for touchdowns. Brady's longest completion of the game was a screen-and-run by Antowain Smith, who provided 152 scrimmage yards and two touchdowns that day.

The young Brady was a system quarterback bulwarked by a great defense and a ball-control offense.

On Sunday, in what could be Manning's final start, your buddy Fate has turned the tables. Manning now has the defense that provides return touchdowns: five of them this year, plus a punt return touchdown. Manning also has the kicker with semi-divine powers. I didn't need to apply any English to Brandon McManus' pre-halftime sidewinder last week. Just as Brady was a no-name kid who needed the complete support of his teammates in 2001, Manning is the codger who needs to play within a system and let C.J. Anderson, Von Miller, the secondary and the Mile High home-field advantage rise to the occasion to win the day.

See how carefully fate stacked the deck? The Broncos defense is essentially at full strength, except for Chris Harris playing with a bum shoulder. (Brady's receiving corps is also nearly healthy, with Julian Edelman expected back from a late-game injury against the Chiefs. Brady-Manning XVII won't be primarily about injuries.) The Broncos defense is well-suited to stop the Patriots: Football Outsiders ranks them first in the NFL in many categories—but specifically in stopping the short passes that Brady uses to surgically eviscerate opponents. Manning gets all the advantages Brady received in 2001, because now he's the one who needs them.

I [(Fate) have] been toying with the Manning family since before Peyton was born. I doomed Archie to life as NFL history's most dignified, respected loser. I gave Eli Super Bowl rings in his brother's shadow but a life sentence in the New York media market. Poor Cooper Manning was relegated to civilian life as a successful businessman and family man instead of getting to spend his autumns being criticized by millions of total strangers. Wait…how is that a punishment? Nevermind.

Peyton has always been my favorite. Brady wears greatness the way Alexander the Great did. Manning, great as he is in his own right, is always more interesting when he trips 10 feet from the finish line. How could I resist nudging him into position for one final sprint? It's all I can do to not stick my foot out.

I have played all my hands. Fate doesn't determine the final outcome, folks; I just set up the board and watch like you do. Destiny is not the same thing as fate, and perhaps Manning is destined for one last laugh against Brady, one last opportunity to reshape his place in history. But ol' Fate has a feeling Manning missed his best chance, and that I will have to bide my time for the next decade or so by messing with Cam Newton.

Patriots 30, Broncos 24

The Cardinals gain 38.62 yards on their average offensive drive, the highest figure in the NFL. They allow just 27.62 yards per drive to their opponents, the fifth-lowest total in the NFL. (Drive stats are compiled for Football Outsiders by Jim Armstrong. All stats include regular-season games only.)

That means the Cardinals enjoy a net gain of 11.00 yards per drive over their opponents. That's the highest differential in the NFL by an amazingly wide margin. As the table shows, the Seahawks are in second place, the Panthers third, but the Cardinals net more than twice as many yards per drive as the next-best teams. They spend their games quickly backing opponents against the wall and pinning them there until the final gun.

The Cardinals' yards-per-drive differential is downright historic, as the next table shows. Armstrong and Football Outsiders have tracked drive statistics since 1997. The Cardinals have the sixth-highest figure in recorded history, placing them on a list with teams like the 2007 Patriots and the Greatest Show on Turf Rams.

It's an impressive list, though if you look closely you see just one Super Bowl winner. Yes, the 2007 Patriots and 2001 Rams lost Super Bowls by razor-thin margins. But there is also a pair of quirky teams on the table. The 2010 Chargers had some of the worst special teams ever for an otherwise championship-caliber team. They missed the playoffs due to blocked punts and Norv Turner's inability to win close games. The 2004 Broncos were just another very good Mike Shanahan Broncos team. Despite their ability to sustain drives and stymie opponents, they went just 10-6 and lost in the first round of the playoffs due to a minus-9 turnover differential. Jake Plummer threw 20 interceptions that year.

There's more to winning games, particularly playoff games, than moving the ball and keeping the opponent from moving the ball. Namely, there's special teams, turnover avoidance/generation and red-zone efficiency. The Cardinals have a big edge in net drive production, though the Panthers are very good in that category. Do the Panthers have enough other advantages to close that gap?

Special teams: The Cardinals have poor overall special teams. Opponents average 11.8 yards per punt return. Kicker Chandler Catanzaro was 0-for-2 beyond 50 yards this season and delivered many returnable kickoffs. Other than one David Johnson kickoff-return touchdown, they have gotten little from their return units.

The Panthers have allowed kick- and punt-return touchdowns this season but are more consistent in coverage, and Graham Gano is more reliable on field goals and kickoffs. Football Outsiders ranks the Panthers 23rd in the NFL on special teams, the Cardinals 29th. The Panthers have a small edge here.

Turnovers: The Panthers led the NFL in turnover differential with 39 takeaways and 19 giveaways for a net difference of plus-20. The Cardinals generated 33 turnovers but coughed up 24 for a net difference of plus-9.

When examining turnovers, it's always wise to look at fumbles that did not result in a change of possession, because once that ball is on the ground, anything can happen, and some teams just get lucky pouncing on their own mistakes.

The Cardinals and Panthers each cause a whopping number of total fumbles: 28 for the Panthers (15 recovered by the defense), 31 by the Cardinals (14 recovered by the defense). But the Panthers fumbled on offense 12 times, losing nine of them. The Cardinals fumbled 23 times but lost just 11. Palmer fumbled six times but lost only two of them, Newton five times but lost four. David Johnson has fumbled four times but lost just one. The Cardinals, quite frankly, have enjoyed a little luck in the bouncing-ball department.

Not only do the Panthers have a turnover edge, but they have a hidden one as well, because the Cardinals are more fumble prone than their giveaway totals suggest. This could be a significant advantage for the Panthers.

Red zone: According to the official NFL stats at NFLGSIS.com, the Panthers rank second in the NFL in red-zone efficiency and sixth in goal-to-goal efficiency. The Cardinals rank 12th and 14th in these categories. Flip over to defense, and the Panthers rank 10th and ninth in the NFL in preventing red-zone and goal-to-go touchdowns. The Cardinals rank 14th and 29th.

Circling back to those drive stats, the Cardinals led the league in yards per drive by a wide margin. But the Panthers led the league in points per drive, with 2.57. The Cardinals were second at 2.54. Considering the Cardinals traveled 11 yards further per drive, those numbers suggest that they have a nasty habit of cruising down the field and settling for a field goal, while the Panthers excel at milking touchdowns out of their possessions.

That's backed up by the tape. The Panthers have an option-flavored offense full of pistol formations, designed quarterback runs, designed fullback touches for bruiser Mike Tolbert and a robust role for tight end Greg Olsen. Near the goal line, they run their complete offense and can power the ball into the end zone a variety of ways.

The Cardinals are built to force your safeties to play 20 yards off the ball. They have no option package, no real fullback, journeyman tight ends and a rookie running back. When the defense can use the back of the end zone as a free safety, the Cardinals just aren't as dangerous.

Stack the advantages atop each other and it becomes clear how close this matchup really is. The Panthers reached 15-1 not just by riding the talents of their marquee stars (Newton, Olsen, Luke Kuechly, Josh Norman), but also by doing dozens of little things very well. The Cardinals blew opponents away with big plays on both sides of the ball, but they are average, at best, in the detail areas that tend to add up in late January.

So one of two things will happen Sunday:

• The Cardinals will score a few long touchdowns by attacking the weak links in the Panthers secondary (every cornerback but Norman) with their five-headed receiving corps, take running and options out of the Panthers playbook, and spark a rout.
  • Or the Panthers will peck away at the Cardinals with field position and offensive balance, hold the Cardinals to some field goals, set up short touchdown drives with turnovers and hold on for dear life in the fourth quarter the way they so often do.

Either scenario feels equally likely. Game Previews is going with the second one, but we won't be shocked if the first one unfolds Sunday night.

Panthers 26, Cardinals 24
Edited by leviramsey
  • Like 1

Â