Match Thread

wedge

"Time will obviously tell but for overall value for money I think Shay Given is a great buy for Villa. Plenty of other good buys too."

Michael Owen on Twitter. Fair play.

Hypothesising a little here, so feel free to disagree; Just suppose that Petrov was given the 'Merson' role. I understand what MON tried to do, but I think it was too late in Petrov's career to change from a creative/attacking mid to a defensive one. If anything it needs youth to do that. There is a discussion to be had about who our defensive mids should be, but for the moment just focus on whther Petrov would be a good 'Merson'. Thoughts?

I think we tried that when he got here and he struggled at times but bloomed when we moved his back - not sure he's got the legs for anywhere else in all honesty.

Hypothesising a little here, so feel free to disagree; Just suppose that Petrov was given the 'Merson' role. I understand what MON tried to do, but I think it was too late in Petrov's career to change from a creative/attacking mid to a defensive one. If anything it needs youth to do that. There is a discussion to be had about who our defensive mids should be, but for the moment just focus on whther Petrov would be a good 'Merson'. Thoughts?

Just no.

I thought Petrov started here as an attacking midfielder and was terrible and therefore moved to DM.

He is too slow to play in the hole both physically and also mentally, he's not creative either. Won't score or create goals.

The best part of his game is cutting out attacks with good positioning and reading the game. He is solid on the ball but he isn't good enough to play advanced role.

Thanks for the responses guys - I've now had too much wine to be able to reply articulately, but may well do at some point 36+ hours from now.

Back on topic I like Jack Woodward, but not as a commentator - I'm watching on bet 365.