Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

• 4 weeks later...

Too late.   His ship has sailed.   I suspect he was never as good as the hype suggested anyway, even before the injuries.  The only thing of value I ever saw him do on the pitch for the first team was unleash the shot against Fulham where Weimann put in the rebound to save the season.  The rest of his performances could only charitably described as average, let alone the calibre of the new big thing.

He’ll be 23 in June. He’s on course to play more games this season than he has in his entire career to date. He has had a horrible time with injuries but has now at least built up a decent base match fitness level.

As far as I know he has another year on his contract. We will have a new manager and he will hopefully be coming into pre-season fully fit for the first time ever.

It will be his first & last chance to stake his claim if he stays fit. Best of luck to him.

He could surprise a few people

• Like 2

I've said it before he can be better than Delph.

He can score goals, make assist, win a tackle, win a header and has a better passing range. He can play def mid or box to box.

It's just a question of getting up to premier league speed. Shame he has had so many injuries.

I don't see him making it with us unless we go down. He's always going to be behind so many other people in the pecking order, and I think it will remain true even with a new manager at the club. 

If we go, of course, everything changes. 

I don't think he's ever shown anything to suggest that he can make it at the top level.

He has had very limited time with the first time so that is difficult to judge. Delph looked awful for years until randomly he was given a starting spot and blossomed into a quality player. I do remember Gardner coming on late one match (against fulham I believe) and smacking a shot which Weimann ended up burying. That goal was crucial to our season. 

• Like 3

I don't think he's ever shown anything to suggest that he can make it at the top level.

He has had very limited time with the first time so that is difficult to judge. Delph looked awful for years until randomly he was given a starting spot and blossomed into a quality player. I do remember Gardner coming on late one match (against fulham I believe) and smacking a shot which Weimann ended up burying. That goal was crucial to our season. 

Excellent memory, that's exactly what happened.

If he didn't make that contribution that game, God knows where we would be now.

Edited by Jay.P.A

Â