Gary Gardner

ChrisNichollsToe

It's a shame that injuries appear to have cost a lad who had a lot or promise his chance at a career. Hard to know whether it was the injuries or just that he wasn't good enough but he looks set to be another prospect dumped on the Stefan Moore scrap heap. I'm sure it happens to lost of young lads all around the world. The lesson? Make sure you get your education and don't put all your eggs in the football basket.

A bit harsh and a bit premature, if he doesn't make it as a prem footballer he could easily make it at any of the 3 lower professional tiers and have a great career in the lower leagues earning money playing the game he loves. I'd not write him off just yet at Prem level either.

If he's not cutting it for Brighton, what makes you think that he can make it in that division?

Was gabby not awful when he went on loan to a couple of clubs?

Because of injuries Gardner is still catching up with his football education. Still think there's a chance he may improve.

Yeah, just coz he's not setting the world alight at Brighton doesn't mean he's finished at that level or Prem level in the slightest. The experience will be good for him regardless. 

Delph was written off, Clark was written off, Baker was written off...

I still think it is too early to write him off completely.

Delph had a very similar injury record to Gary and in December of Lambert's first season (Chelsea Tottenham Wigan 15-0) I had completely written him off.

I think it was him and el ahmadi in the middle at home to tottenham and that was IMO the 2 worst midfield performances I have seen to date in a villa shirt, 5months later with almost a full season of regular football behind him he was a different player in the run in, and a year after that he's playing for England.

I know Gary hasn't shown any signs yet really but he's also only just started to get regular competitive football, if he stays fit and can keep getting games we'll have a better idea of the player the injuries left behind at the back end of the season I think.

You clearly don't remember the Djemba Djemba & Steven Davis combination against Arsenal on a cold saturday night.

That's bollocks. Davis is a decent premier league player as shown by his performances at Southampton. O'Neill got rid of him and Cahill for effectively Zak Knight and Steve Sidwell. Brilliant piece of business.

I reckon Gardner could still do a job for us. When he was last fit he was playing a lot of games under TSM and for England U21's. Very unlucky with the injuries. Time for a recall back to Villa I think.

Calm down mate, I said combination and at that age Davis was not ready to hold his own in a two man midfield with Djemba Djemba.

He has improved himself no doubt, I actually wanted us to bring him back when he left Rangers.

• 2 weeks later...

Look we all know fans forums can illcit some rather harsh reviews of players!

He's starting every game so the manager obviously rates him.

If he comes back here fully fit then the loan will have served its primary purpose.

Yeah he will be fit but it doesnt change the fact he isnt very good. Amazed we gave him a new contract

Rather have him as a squadplayer than Sylla or Richardson, even thou the latter one might be a tad more versatile.

But, he needs to play on a regular basis if he's ever going to develop, and he won't get to do it here...

Another over hyped under deliverer

A bit harsh. He recovered well from a serious injury had set him back and then showed some encouraging signs that he might still make the grade. Then he had another horrendous injury and it has taken it's toll.

Another over hyped under deliverer

A bit harsh. He recovered well from a serious injury had set him back and then showed some encouraging signs that he might still make the grade. Then he had another horrendous injury and it has taken it's toll.

Did he really?? I though he was pretty crap in those 16 games

Â