Pro cycling: General Chat

leviramsey

I'd like to see Green Edge competing for GC jerseys rather than just taking a few stage wins at the start of a tour but as you say, I can't see Wiggins gaining time on any of those three in the mountains. He might still be able to podium at a big tour though. 

I think I'd prefer to see that myself . . . just like Nibali though, you can't see Wiggins ever managing to drop Froome, Contador or Quintana on the biggest climbs any more. 

Well yeah, he's never been able to do that. But if he can stick with them, or as near as, and make up quite a bit of time in the Time Trials, he still has a chance. But he's never gpoing to beat the Froome Dog, IMO, on a TDF or Giro. It's just too mountainous.

Latest stuff is that Wiggins won't be there:

Beeb link

Sir Bradley Wiggins says he will not be competing in this year's Tour de France "as things stand".

Yeah, from what I've read recently, the relationship between Froome Dog and Wiggo has completely broken down, and as such, with Froome leading Team Sky, Wiggo's got no chance of being there.

Sad state of affairs. Orica Greenedge it is for Wiggo then I guess, for him to have 1 last stab at the TDF next year.

Its broken down? It never existed. Wiggins won’t win a grand tour again IMO, he talks the talk, but he can’t do whats necessary anymore. 

Latest stuff is that Wiggins won't be there:

Beeb link

Sir Bradley Wiggins says he will not be competing in this year's Tour de France "as things stand".

Yeah, from what I've read recently, the relationship between Froome Dog and Wiggo has completely broken down, and as such, with Froome leading Team Sky, Wiggo's got no chance of being there.

Sad state of affairs. Orica Greenedge it is for Wiggo then I guess, for him to have 1 last stab at the TDF next year.

Its broken down? It never existed. Wiggins won’t win a grand tour again IMO, he talks the talk, but he can’t do whats necessary anymore. 

I thought he was concentrating on Track racing after this season?

You can never tell quite what Bradley is concentrating on, and that is the problem at the moment. Its other people who tend to say what he’s aiming at. His agent I believe is Simon Fuller (of Spice Girl fame) which seems a bizarre match...

You can never tell quite what Bradley is concentrating on, and that is the problem at the moment. Its other people who tend to say what he’s aiming at. His agent I believe is Simon Fuller (of Spice Girl fame) which seems a bizarre match...

In which case, has he become more of a celebrity than a cyclist?

I thought he was aiming for classics.. He did well in Paris-Roubaix (9th). And stage 5 in TdF this year has cobble sections.

When I was watching the Giro the commentators were discussing him and were saying he's dropped lots of weight lately in order to be better in the mountains. Mixed signals, definitely.

• 4 weeks later...

His team went to early and he was left isolated at then end. Shimano have the timing right, they don't go full pelt until around 2km to go meaning they blow all the other sprint trains away for speed.

I've got a bike you can ride it if you like,its got a basket a bell that rings and things to make it look good.

Do you know a mouse by any chance?

Well that's Cavendish out of it, then. 

Apparently not according to EuroSport!  Remarkable really - how nothing went after tumbling straight onto his shoulder is anyone's guess.

As I understand it, he separated his shoulder, but didn't break his collarbone. I still think it's doubtful he'll start today. 

Froome down during the stage, needed a splint on the wrist. 9 sections of 4-or-5-star pave tomorrow, think he might drop out before the end of the stage. It's a long shot, but he's really on the ropes right now. 

Â