Pro cycling: General Chat

leviramsey

Froome down during the stage, needed a splint on the wrist. 9 sections of 4-or-5-star pave tomorrow, think he might drop out before the end of the stage. It's a long shot, but he's really on the ropes right now. 

He and Sky seem to think he's fine, but if he has done something serious to his wrist, then 15K of cobbles today is going to be a nightmare for him. If he gets through today, he'll be fine though.

I think Porte is in better shape for a Grand Tour than Wiggins at the moment, but sure it looks like a major mistake. The two simply can’t get on, and its obvious that Wiggins won’t do anything unless he feels he wants to, and clearly Brailsford & Froome just couldn’t trust and rely on him. You have to say Brailsford generally seems to know what he is doing. Wiggins performance at the ToS was hardly one of a determined team mate. Will Froome now ride the Vuelta, which Nairo is also down for.

It was a great stage and Nibali rode very well. I notice that Cancellera said it shouldn’t be in the Tour, which makes sense. Cobbles and bad weather are acceptable, just not the two together!

Anyway its making for a great tour. 

I did have a sneaky punt (a few pennies) on Lars Boom at 50s (and Geraint Thomas a little earlier at 66s) just before he and his teammate tried to break away from the Nibali group to catch up with the leading half dozen riders (on the 3rd/5th cobble section?).

If I were you Mr Chap ^^^^^ I would save my money and not risk it on the vagaries of bike racing. Put it on a cert - like who will be relegated next year :angry:

It was, literally, pennies - thirty of them (I did also do Froome at 149/1 when he beat Wiggins and Evans(?) on that mountain finish - the one where Froome jumped away from them 500m short of the finish).

I think I'm way ahead with my little 30p fun punts on TdF stage wins with those two alone. :)

Talking of stage wins, is that Bryan Coquard bloke likely to pop up some time this year or will he have to wait a year or two?

Edited by snowychap

I once put a small bet in May 1989 on the Tour podium; I wish I bet my house on my forecast, Lemond, Fignon and Indurain...

Talking of cycling bets, the guy who runs the velogames.com fantasy site put a £2 bet on Pirazzi to win the stage he did during the giro. Got the winner at 750-1, not a bad win that. 

I think Porte is in better shape for a Grand Tour than Wiggins at the moment, but sure it looks like a major mistake. The two simply can’t get on, and its obvious that Wiggins won’t do anything unless he feels he wants to, and clearly Brailsford & Froome just couldn’t trust and rely on him. You have to say Brailsford generally seems to know what he is doing. Wiggins performance at the ToS was hardly one of a determined team mate. Will Froome now ride the Vuelta, which Nairo is also down for.

It was a great stage and Nibali rode very well. I notice that Cancellera said it shouldn’t be in the Tour, which makes sense. Cobbles and bad weather are acceptable, just not the two together!

Anyway its making for a great tour. 

I take no pleasure in having been right about Froome, but yeah, Wiggins would have been dead weight on the team. His efforts in the Tour de Suisse were professionally embarrassing. 

Really happy for Tony Martin today after he was robbed on the line in the Vuelta,

Shame he's chosen the absolute worst day to win a stage!

Germany have really dominated the tdf so far.

That will end today, as the big boys come out to play.

Martin is an absolute beast. Shame he can't climb (or at least has not attempted to be a ddent climber), as he could be/could have been a GC contender like Wiggins.

Short of a disaster it's a fight for podium places now. Its a shame as was looking forward to Contador attacking yesterday. Dude rode 20k with a broken leg - pro cyclists are a different breed.

It does beg the question about Nibali because he looked rubbish at the start of the season and totally smashed the field yesterday, but it could more to do with the fact that he wouldnt look so hot with one or more of Froome, Contador or Quintana or even a fully fit Rodriguez up against him?

I watched the Armstrong Lie over the weekend and the main thing I got from that is if you were to permenantly ban everybody who has been involved or even linked to drug use, you wouldnt have many people left in pro-cycling.

Â