Pro cycling: General Chat

leviramsey

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a Villa flag on the side of the road today. Nice to see when the riding isn't too exciting. Hope the young french vs Quintana and Froome is going to be a thing for the next Tours to come.

• 1 month later...

Impey cleared

Daryl Impey lost millions of rand because he was in the right place at the wrong time, he was told yesterday as he was absolved of the doping charge that threatened to derail the career of the first African to have worn the yellow jersey in the Tour de France.

Impey was informed in July he had tested positive for Probenecid at the South African Road Time Trial championships on February 6.

Yesterday, a hearing held in Johannesburg found he had taken the banned diuretic, which is not performance enhancing but can be used as a masking agent, through a contaminated product bought at a pharmacist through no fault of his own. “It’s just utter, utter relief that justice has been done,” said Impey yesterday. “Everything that has happened… it’s never going to be rectified, but I knew I hadn’t doped.”

The solid facts were the evidence of a pharmacist in Durban. Impey had gone |early in the day to buy empty gelatine capsules to put bicarbonate of soda inside them for the South African road race championships.

Bicarbonate of soda helps buffer the effects of lactic acid. The pharmacist told him he didn’t have any capsules.

Later, the pharmacist found some capsules and called Impey, who went in the afternoon to buy them.

Shortly before the pharmacist served Impey, he had dispensed Probenecid to another customer. His hands had contaminated Impey’s capsules. At the hearing, till slips showing time and purchase from the pharmacy convinced the hearing Impey had not ingested the substance on purpose.

“When this news came out we were shocked,” said Impey. “I’m glad to restore the faith people had in me. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time, or even the right place at the wrong time, almost cost me my entire career. This puts bread and butter on the table for my family.”

Impey signed a clause |with Orica Greenedge, his Australian-backed cycling team, that he would repay his salary should he be found guilty of doping. It is a standard clause in the team contracts. Impey had been due to ride in the Tour de France this year and, while he would not put a figure on how much the doping charge had cost him, it is estimated to be several million rand.

Impey and his lawyers are considering whether to take action against the SA Institute for Drug-Free Sport (Saids) after it delayed the announcement of his positive test until June 23.

Saids claimed the delay was due to the death of a lab technician, but at yesterday’s hearing, was vague on a seven-week delay when the results were known but not announced.

The Saids officials left directly after the hearing.

“The delay is inexcusable,” said Impey. “The amount of money I have lost is hard to quantify. It’s a huge loss of income.”

Impey was left out of the South African team for the world championships, but is hoping to be included.

He will head to Canada to race with his team.

So Impey is unlucky enough to be served behind someone (who I must stress was not Impey) buying a very effective masking agent for testosterone.

• 2 weeks later...

The breakaway half dozen did go past quite speedily - the peloton (with Cav in the vanguard) went through rather more sedately.

Cops on bikes had a whale of a time flying up Church Street (one or two almost managing wheelies and lots waving like z list celebs) at speeds they'd normally be told off for.

Good crowd; sunny day; lots of cheering and clapping.

I'm sure when the milk race came through they did a few circuits of the town (seven rings a bell) with a finish up Church Street - that would have been good to see.

Edited by snowychap

Really getting into this now. Learnt so much about pro cycling the last few days.

Alex Dowsett was really on a mission today wasn't he? Wiggo's disappointed me a bit, seems to have just whimpered away.

And has anyone seen Michal Kwiatkowski's strava logs? Incredible. http://www.strava.com/activities/192123252 . He KOM'd The Tumble with an average 454W, 184BPM and 13.9MPH  :o

If he can stay with the group up the hills tomorrow, Dowsett has a great chance of winning it. Not bad for a guy who might not have a team next season. Also hope he buries Wiggo after him belittling Dowsetts Commonwealth games gold.

Wiggins gave up towards the end of last season, and hasn't even tried this year. He got dropped on a minor hillock in the Tour de Suisse, and at that moment I knew he wouldn't win a stage or a race again in his road cycling career. I doubt he'll continue beyond the end of this season. 

Yes exactly. He's a 'team leader' who is weaker than many of the domestiques who could be expected to be riding for him in any major race. Who has more chance of winning a mountain stage these days, Wiggins or Mikel Nieve? or Dario Cataldo? I loved the guy, and his success was part of what got me interested in cycling in the first place, but he seems more interested in Rio 2016, so why not just focus on that really. 

Yes exactly. He's a 'team leader' who is weaker than many of the domestiques who could be expected to be riding for him in any major race. Who has more chance of winning a mountain stage these days, Wiggins or Mikel Nieve? or Dario Cataldo? I loved the guy, and his success was part of what got me interested in cycling in the first place, but he seems more interested in Rio 2016, so why not just focus on that really.

I don't rate Cataldo so highly but Nieve and Thomas deserve to ride for themselves a bit more and I think the signing of Konig will help. Hope Ritchie comes back strong next year as he has been even more disappointing than Wiggo.

Hoping Froome is up for the worlds champs, it would save the season.

Â