Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

Never mind the potential timebomb of the shoulder injury or the 5m fee and extortionate wages, but how do you know hes still got it?

did ok for Ireland vs macedonia only 3 weeks ago though he did get a knock but played on

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are being harsh on Given's ability, he's still very much got it. It's his dodgy shoulder that I'd be concerned about but so long as the price is reasonable then I'd be in favour of it.

Never mind the potential timebomb of the shoulder injury or the 5m fee and extortionate wages, but how do you know hes still got it?

My nans played more footie than Given in the last 12 months

He was still solid in his ROI appearances last season despite his lack of game time at Man City so I don't think there's any concern about his game having suddenly nosedived massively over the past 12 months. It's the shoulder that's the concern.

Lerner had no problem splashing out on high wages to sign a 38 year old Friedel so I can't see Given's age or wage demands being too much of a concern here. Especially when you consider the transfer fee will in all likely be far lower then what Blues will be asking for Foster.

If we are going to sign him I really want us to see us get a younger keeper too perhaps from the lower leagues who looks like they have a future in the premiership. It will be a big risk relying on Given to get through a whole season.

If we are going to sign him I really want us to see us get a younger keeper too perhaps from the lower leagues who looks like they have a future in the premiership. It will be a big risk relying on Given to get through a whole season.

What's wrong with Guzan for that role?

We missed out on westwood.

We missed out on westwood.

+1

I'm not sure I call signing a 35 year old who has made one domestic appearance in the last season and who has a questionnable shoulder is all that solid myself.

If there is still an issue with his shoulder then surely that will show up in his medical?

We never signed that French lad because of a problem that came up in his medical.

He's been training every day for what, 2 years since it went? He's played a number of international games plus a load of reserve games. I think all things considered it 'should' be ok and it will certainly pass a medical.

The article suggests Guzan is staying. For now.

here

SHAY Given is poised to become Alex McLeish’s first signing next week with Villa close to striking a deal for the Manchester City goalkeeper.

The clubs are likely to agree a fee of around £3.5 million for the 35-year-old stopper, who is set to replace Brad Friedel as the claret and blues’ No.1.

Villa are also confident of Given accepting their personal terms, even though his £80,000-per-week City wages are expected to be cut to below £60,000.

McLeish and chairman Randy Lerner have been in contact with their Eastlands counterparts and hope to conclude the transfer within the next week.

However, it is not a completely done deal yet and Villa still have other goalkeeping options as back-up if it hits a late snag for any reason.

Given has become frustrated with his lack of action under Roberto Mancini after losing his place to McLeish’s former Blues loanee Joe Hart.

McLeish is keen for Brad Guzan to stay to challenge the new keeper despite previous suggestions Villa would allow the American international to leave.

Guzan failed to oust American compatriot Friedel from Premier League duty and spent part of last season on loan at Championship club Hull.

“I’d also like to hold on to Brad, definitely,” said McLeish. “I don’t think we’d be letting him go at this particular stage.”

McLeish will meet his first-team squad collectively for the first time when they report back to Bodymoor Heath for pre-season training today.

He's been training every day for what, 2 years since it went? He's played a number of international games plus a load of reserve games. I think all things considered it 'should' be ok and it will certainly pass a medical.

I think his shoulder would be ok. My main concern is whether he still has the reactions that made him great, they tend to go as you get older, especially if you don't use them as often. It is safe to say that those games mentioned don't compare to the Premiership in terms of speed and physicality of play. I hope he is still a top keeper, we definately need one.