Confirmed Signing: Shay Given (Man City)

Mr_Dogg

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given is a top class keeper and anyone who thinks we could sign better in living in cuckoo land.

he is so long as he is fit, he has had major shoulder problems which for a keeper is a rather concerning injury.

IF he is fully fit then great he would be a great asset to the team, if we are getting him semi fit hoping he will survive then it would be crazy especially as we will prbably need to offer him a 4 year contract and even if he is on £50k per week that would be over £10 million in wages, for him to be constantly in and out of the team through injury.

what is more worrying is that we seem to have so little money we are forced into keeping guzan

the club dont need to say too much, their actions are speaking far louder than any words could.

I dare say twelve months ago if Given was set to move here everybody would be as happy as a pig in shite, being kept out by Englands number 1 and imo one of the best young keepers in the world does not a bad keeper make

Some1 else with sum sense!! be careful you mite be rediculed for this by the mr beans on this site!!!!

i think he may only be ridiculed if he were typing in crap text speak like a 10 year old?

what is more worrying is that we seem to have so little money we are forced into keeping guzan

disagree, sub gk is hardly a starring role that the club can sell, especially without European football, I don't think smithies or another young keeper would come here so we won't actually do that much better than guzan

disagree, sub gk is hardly a starring role that the club can sell, especially without European football, I don't think smithies or another young keeper would come here so we won't actually do that much better than guzan

Westwood went to Sunderland I think.. on a free too.

I think that would have been a good number 2, sell Guzan and recoup some funds if possible.. though i'm ok with Guzan as number 2 if we are to keep him.

Westwood went to Sunderland I think.. on a free too.

I think that would have been a good number 2, sell Guzan and recoup some funds if possible.. though i'm ok with Guzan as number 2 if we are to keep him.

see to me westwood would have made sense, a 26 year old keeper willing to be a number 2 at a big club, doesnt need to move areas and would be cheap in wages.

guzan will always be remembered for his cup run of penalty saves and that is it.

he is not a good keeper, he is average at best, he didnt get rave reviews from hull and as there is a decent prospect given MAY miss games through predictable injury, it may have made sense to chop and change.

IF given can stay fit, we may have a good keeper on our hands.

I'm not sure I call signing a 35 year old who has made one domestic appearance in the last season and who has a questionnable shoulder is all that solid myself.

:thumb:

Yeah, lets buy that other goal keeper, you know the mythical young world class goal keeper with low wage demands, low transfer fee, low ambitions, no history of injuries and has always supported Villa since being a young lad.

Agree with this, Ben Foster look average at best when he was at Man U, and I never thought much of him at Watford, however now he is worth 10 million and he's two years older than Guzan.

Guzan is still young for a keeper, there is talent there so maybe a new goal keeping coach can sort him out.

see to me westwood would have made sense, a 26 year old keeper willing to be a number 2 at a big club, doesnt need to move areas and would be cheap in wages.

This. Missed the boat on that one. Why is it we always seem to overlook the bloody obvious signings thsat would be good? Our transfer strategy absolutely baffles me at times. No all the time actually.

How on earth do you know that?

p.s. Villa are not a 'big' club in the current scheme of things.

I'd much prefer a younger, fitter keeper with a better ability to control the back line and his area.

:lol:

He also needs to cost £2.50, play for free and slip under the radar of all the other big clubs.

I'm not sure I call signing a 35 year old who has made one domestic appearance in the last season and who has a questionnable shoulder is all that solid myself.

:thumb:

Yeah, lets buy that other goal keeper, you know the mythical young world class goal keeper with low wage demands, low transfer fee, low ambitions, no history of injuries and has always supported Villa since being a young lad.

So you agree that Given will be a high fee, have high wages and has a history of injuries?