Gym Routine

olboydave

18 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Started at the gym last night. First time in 13 years I've set foot in one and **** me how times have changed. 

What kind of gym you going to mate? a chain one like a David Lloyd or Banatynes? there  are still a few spit and sawdust ones about although few and far between now.

40 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

What kind of gym you going to mate? a chain one like a David Lloyd or Banatynes? there  are still a few spit and sawdust ones about although few and far between now.

It's a sports college gym. 

• 3 weeks later...

Milestone reached last night.  I'm sure most of you have done it already, but I was beginning to think I'd never get there.  I finally FINALLY benched 100kg.  The magic number :):hooray:  So I went for pints afterwards.  Naturally.

• Like 3

Bare in mind there are 'personal trainers' here how long would you leave it before you stepped in to stop people doing something good stupid?

So far I've seen a guy practically jumping on the calf press, using 90% lower back on the hamstring curl and finally locking his legs out on the 45 degree press. 

I'm honestly scared. 

14 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

Bare in mind there are 'personal trainers' here how long would you leave it before you stepped in to stop people doing something good stupid?

So far I've seen a guy practically jumping on the calf press, using 90% lower back on the hamstring curl and finally locking his legs out on the 45 degree press. 

I'm honestly scared. 

Only time I ever step in is if I think someone is genuinely going to hurt themselves.

I stepped in when two young fellas who clearly hadn't a clue what they were at started squatting, but instead of walking towards the bar to un-rack it, they reversed towards it, which makes the re-rack a lot more dangerous.  You can guess what their squat technique was like too.

• Haha 1

Had like a 2 month break from listing so looking forward to getting back into it. First two sessions over the weekend, bench was a total mess, stabilising strength has gone. Squats were much better than I thought, managed a clean 110kg for 5x5, had a far more prolonged warm up for them, a good 10 minutes of dynamic stretching which potentially made a difference.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I got back in yesterday for the first time in 6 weeks, had to take some time out for an injury.

I dropped the weight for squats by half to ease back in to it, it was fine at the time, but I'm walking like a cowboy today.

• Like 1

I was back for the first time in 7 weeks on Tuesday, work and laziness being the cause. Dropped the weight by a third and spent the rest of the week walking like a cowboy. 

Going again today planning on hitting the same weights for the big 5 then again on Tuesday. 

21 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

Been using T-Nations simple deadlift program. Got my 1rm up to 150kg.

Chuffed with that because dead lifting always used to be something I dreaded. Now I look forward to it.

Thanks for sharing, I may try this out, cant go past 3 plates to save my life, kind of just accepted it lol, will try this and see how it goes

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Thanks for sharing, I may try this out, cant go past 3 plates to save my life, kind of just accepted it lol, will try this and see how it goes

Put 10kg on my 1rm and only did 8 weeks of the program first time around.

Starting again now.

10% body fat doesn't sound that fat to me! ;)

After a summer of dieting I'm now moving back to trying to get bigger and stronger. I'm loving eating all the food and my body seem to be lapping it up. Seen decent gains in both respects over the last two weeks. I'm focusing on volume at the moment - aiming to training each body part twice within 7-days, with one heavier compound day and one lighter 'reps' day for each.  I'm monitoring my number of sets for each body part closely and how hard I'm able to push things without encountering issues with recovery.  

Edited by JB

haha, trust me!

I got massive gains with the two body part training plan close to what you mentioned! so good luck, my discipline has slacked over the summer, its all diet and pints, and i know id shed it in 4-6 weeks of disciplined living, maybe the winter coming will help!

Can any of our knowledgeable gym goers ( @JB I'm looking at you) recommend a good routine that focuses on Chest?

Obviously I still want to hit everything else, but I'd like to pay a bit more attention to my chest.

Any ideas?

Â