What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

Steve "interesting" Davis and his band Utopia Strong's second album - International Treasure

Right up my noodly intstrumental atmospheric psychedelic prog alley.

I'm still on the first listen but this album is brilliant. It's certainly a bit of a change of direction. I keep getting little flashbacks of memory from the first time I ever heard Spirit of Eden by Talk Talk, there are very small signatures in here that trigger that, I'm not saying it's remotely like SOE, it isn't but that's just what it does to me

Last track, Castalia, nothing wrong with it but it just doesn't fit with the rest of the album, jarringly so. The track before it though, the title track, that the rest of the album builds up to is absolutely superb. Maybe there's a concept here that I'm unaware of but.... hey ho, it's still a brillaint album

MzItODE0NC5qcGVn.jpeg

The song you put in the song thread sounds exactly like the cover suggests to me. Didn’t know it at all, but it was chilled.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

The song you put in the song thread sounds exactly like the cover suggests to me. Didn’t know it at all, but it was chilled.

The combination of a Multiple World Champion Snooker player, a member of the Cardiacs and a member of Coil :D

• Thanks 1

So it's a nice sunny day and I headed into town to pick up a couple of bits that I needed, pretty trivial stuff but as ever I end up in record shops (how this happens is a mystery to me)

Sunny weather usually means a reggae / dub purchase is likely. That obviously happened

So there's this story that John Lydon signed to Virgin because he really appreciated the way they treated their reggae artists (not like shit which a lot of other majors did), so Virgin had been releasing reggae for a while by 1978 and decided to set up a dedicated reggae subsidiary - Front Line. After the Pistols split and before PIL (early 78), Lydon ends up on holiday in Jamaica with Don Letts and others. The rumour is that Lydon was effectively acting as an A&R Man for Front Line, if he was, he certainly was very productive, Front Line realeased a silly amount of albums and singles between 78 and 79. Virgin then inexplicably disbanded the label in 79. This was the Roots / Rockers / Dub era and Jamaican reggae was probably at the absolute peak of it's powers. Anyway this double album compilation cherry picks some great artists on Front Line from that very narrow period and ticked an awful lot of boxes for me, reggae / dub, single label compilation and it has On-U connections too (Prince Far-I on first glance). This has U-Roy (another vague ON-U connection iirc), Culture, Twinkle Brothers, The Gladiators, Gregory Issacs and ....

Reggae compilations can very often be a bit hit and miss but not this one, this really is a superb compilation. I'd thoroughly recommend it for those with an interest in Jamaican music.

MjItNTAyNC5qcGVn.jpeg

• Thanks 1

So the house band at Channel 1 used to be The Revolutionaries, which included Sly and Robbie plus one Bingi Bunny. Sly and Robbie got a wee bit famous so the Revolutionaries were disbanded. Bunny along with Flabba Holt and Style Scott became the Roots Rdics, the new Channel 1 house band. Again theres a huge On-U connection here, not only did the Radics appear on some early On-U releases but Style Scott also became an important piece of the On-U jigsaw both with and aside from his next Venture Dub Syndicate. Anyway, an album of Roots Radics Dubs

MTItNjMwOS5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 1

Had a nice afternoon with the other half, taking turns playing an LP and drinking desperados and vodka ;)

Here's the playlist so far:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hard to tell who chose what, eh? ;)

They've got a resale shop at our local tip, it's like Aladdin's cave.

Naturally there's LPs and 45s, found a couple of VG+ items for a quid each amongst the Barry manilow and Max Bygraves.

One for wife, one for me ;)

spacer.png

I've wanted a copy of this for sometime. Found a copy today at a very reasonable price (less than any copy sold in the last 18 months on Discogs and in better condition than some of those) It's one of those records I always kicked myself for not buying at the time

A C Marias - One Of Our Girls (Has Gone Missing) from 1989. A C Marias were an offshoot of Wire, Bruce Gilbert of Wire teaming up with a singer Angela Conway who was also a member of some other Wire Offshoots too I seem to recall

LTQ4MTMuanBlZw.jpeg

Another 2nd hand purchase today the rather out there german via New York electronic / opera  artist Klaus Nomi's self titled debut. He only made 2 albums while he was alive as he was one of the first "celebrities" to die of AIDS in 1982

This, his first album is from 1981, though this pressing is the first British pressing from 82

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Michael Head and the Red Elastic Band - Dear Scott

Former Pale Fountains / Shack frontman's second album with his latest band

If you don't know of him, it's a hell of a story of missed opportunities, total f*** ups, drug addiction and just sheer bad luck. I know Mick, I used to play football with him, move in the same circles etc in the 80s & 90s, a nicer man you'll never meet. Also the missus was in his class in junior and senior school. But anyway, his new album is great, fairly typical lovely personal songwriting and melodies but you can really hear the influence of Bill Ryder-Jones on production duties in the overall sound.

I actually think @mjmooney should give this one a go

ODctMTk3NC5qcGVn.jpeg

• Like 2

Got a bit of listening to do, wedecided to have our Christmas stuff for our anniversary (well why wait?).

My stuff has four lithograph prints and side 6 is etched.

The wife's stuff looks very pretty :)

spacer.png  spacer.png

• Like 1

Â