What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

stjohnsweb-e1501595477860.jpg

Ooh, I do like a song when you can hear all of the the words!

6 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Don’t mind parts of that, especially from 50 seconds on 

Good Lord - Show some respect! It's 100% Vertigo! ;)

external-content.duckduckgo-1.jpg.72ab641f515e0a607fef02dc8be85d14.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Just scanned through it. Definitely dig some of that . Always thought I’d probably like some of his stuff .

Sit down, on your own, turn the lights down aqnd listen to it from start to end

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Tell ya what Bicks I’ll play it when I’m in bed and see how I get on with it. Going up in 20 mins 

Steady. That album's a pathway to heroin abuse!

These two groomers are from Liverpool and Wales, remember.

They'll get you hooked, then....? I dread to think.

It'll be dark, definitely dark. Then degrading.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Anyway, the nostalgia evening continues with one of my absolute favourite post-punk single label compilations

Wanna Buy A Bridge? - A Rough Trade compilation of singles which was designed to introduce the label to the USA but plenty of these found their way back to these shores pretty quickly, probably because its just full of classics. My copy is very scratchy, if I could find a better copy I'd buy it

R-2594692-1321780396.png.jpgR-2594692-1321780385.png.jpg

Not a duff track on it, even an early Adrian Sherwood mix (Man Next Door - The Slits) and a further On-U connection with Dennis Bovell producing the Pop Group classic We Are All Prostitutes (I think Sherwood may have produced other projects by every single member of the group, possibly)

Even Spizz the Villa Fan is on there

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bickster said:

@Rugeley Villa see how you get on with the masterpiece. It's an obvious record to recommend but theres a reason for that

Good choice of artist, but I would argue a poor choice of material for trying to introduce someone to jazz for a couple of reasons:

1.  As broad a term as "jazz" is, this is definitely not what I would call representative.   It may have been groundbreaking, but it was and still is well outside of anything that that would fit even the broadest definition mainstream jazz;

2.  For someone branching out from the blues-derived genre of rock, a more accessible and blues-influenced version of jazz is probably a better starting point.

3.  Bitches Brew isn't exactly the stuff you'd find in smoke-filled night clubs that Ruge referenced.

If Miles is your choice, it's got to be this:

I might even argue that a better launching point would be hard bop rather than the modal stuff of Kind of Blue.  Stuff like:

Late '50s or early '60s Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers https://youtu.be/fsJ3JjpZyoA

Horace Silver https://youtu.be/yKWphXfIsxs

Lee Morgan  https://youtu.be/qJi03NqXfk8

Hank Mobley https://youtu.be/qJi03NqXfk8

If you want to dive in the deep end and start from the beginning, you can beat the Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smithsonian_Collection_of_Classic_Jazz

• Like 1

Just now, il_serpente said:

Good choice of artist, but I would argue a poor choice of material for trying to introduce someone to jazz for a couple of reasons:

It's a good choice for someone who listens to a lot of Heavy Rock / Metal / Prog. I picked it for that reason, tailored to the person's usual taste

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bickster said:

It's a good choice for someone who listens to a lot of Heavy Rock / Metal / Prog. I picked it for that reason, tailored to the person's usual taste

I ended up falling asleep whilst listening to it, but I enjoyed what I heard. Definitely will be digging deeper . I’m finding now I’m buying LPs again I’m willing to take more risk on stuff . I mean there’s enough albums out there I like to last me a lifetime in terms of me buying, but nice to have something a bit different 

• Like 1

Anyway .....

First press and the last album by the original lineup . Gets a bit of stick, but I like it a lot . It’s better than the one gone before it anyway . Some jazz influenced moments on here. 

6AD8C0D9-69DB-438F-8F4D-49E13C2FC750.jpeg

Edited by Rugeley Villa

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

spacer.png

lovely mellow bit of Swamp Dogg with a couple of tracks featuring JohnPrine.

This was the guy who you described in the vaguest terms to source a record of I recall.

• Like 1

Just now, Seat68 said:

This was the guy who you described in the vaguest terms to source a record of I recall.

Yep it was, as a present for my dad.

Months later it turned up as a lovely little vinyl package, green vinyl, extra 7” single, download code and a booklet for £20, so I treated myself.

I think I’ve enjoyed it far more than the old man did.

• Like 1

On 21/12/2021 at 20:36, Rugeley Villa said:

I’ve thought about delving into jazz. I know it’s not proper jazz , but I like some elements of jazz in rock . I feel like I’d be opening a can of worms though .

I can't really be doing with actual proper jazz too much, but these chaps, I love their stuff... 

Â