What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

46 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

You get a like for the Nirvana live album, but WTF is this doing here?! This is top 40 rubbish ;)  

A certain track on this album is quite brilliant...but they've recently become my "guilty pleasure" ;)

• Haha 1

I know of Panic At The Disco!

Its what gets put on in the car when my teenage nipper finishes drum practise on a Saturday.

Not allowed to play it loud in mum’s car the rest of the week, apparently, so it gets some volume on a weekend.

• Haha 1

I saw Panic! At the disco, they were on the same bill as Fall Out Boy and Gym Class Heroes at the Academy I think in 2006. I would say all bands were a let down but it didn't stop me loving that debut Panic At The Disco album. So bloody good. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

If I could only save one piece of vinyl. It would be this mother **** that took years to get hold of. 

Grofe was a proper musician.

Kostelanetz an Easy Listening legend.

You in my country now, Hank Hill :) 

You like the content?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xann said:

Grofe was a proper musician.

Kostelanetz an Easy Listening legend.

You in my country now, Hank Hill :) 

You like the content?

This is completely in your country. It's sealed and unplayed which is a travesty I know. I have the digital version and enjoy it. Cash does narration and his voice is excellent. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

This is completely in your country. It's sealed and unplayed which is a travesty I know. I have the digital version and enjoy it. Cash does narration and his voice is excellent. 

Grofe arranged Gershwin's 'Rhapsody in Blue' for orchestra, Paul Whiteman's orchestra at that. You didn't hit much bigger than that in the US.

5 years before LOTGC Sinatra went leftfield. He recorded a contemporary orchestral concept album using the best arrangers around, 'Tone Poems Of Color'.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that Cash wanted to take his own concept to a different market.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm having a CD night so far. First album of note, the superb It's a Wonderful Life by Sparklehorse

R-265088-1112669754.jpg.jpg

Mark Linkous is a much missed talent

Phenomenal album. Love the sadness on it. Gold Day alone floors me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Phenomenal album. Love the sadness on it. Gold Day alone floors me. 

It's superb from start to finish and I will never tire of it, nearly 19 years old now and it could have been released yesterday, it does not age

• Like 1

In a kind of simlar mood track, I'm onto The Boatman's Call by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

R-7124674-1434276834-4196.jpeg.jpg

I'd obviously graduated to CDs by this point in my music collecting, I just looked at the vinyl price of this and WOW! £70 odd quid or more for a good copy

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

In a kind of simlar mood track, I'm onto The Boatman's Call by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

R-7124674-1434276834-4196.jpeg.jpg

I'd obviously graduated to CDs by this point in my music collecting, I just looked at the vinyl price of this and WOW! £70 odd quid or more for a good copy

I fear you won't make it through the night. 

• Haha 1

Something of an oddity from the On-U Sound catalogue

The tragic figure of Andy Fairley's album System Vertigo, he has another posthumously released Album of early non On-U singles which I also have but this was his only solo album release when alive.

Fairley was a somewhat oddball figure, even for Bristol's underground scene, which was full of oddballs.

AMS was clearly a fan and used him in the early days of Tackhead and for various other assorted one off tracks, usually released on the Pay It All Back series of label compilations. You got the impression that AMS planned more for Fairley than just one album

It's an oddball spoken word / poetry? set of lyrics set to an AMS Downtempo Industrial Dub backing with the usual Tackhead crowd of Skip McDonald / Doug Wimbish / Keith le Blanc (AKA The Sugerhill studio band prior to all this madness) and AMS at the controls

I guess his voice can be described as a more masculine Quentin Crisp

I used to play this quite a bit when i'd get in from DJing at a club, a great album to unwind to after a night of madness, quite probably with one of those funny herbal cigarettes

The Election Pt 1 should give you an impression

R-169865-1394026157-4520.jpeg.jpg

This is the CD version which oddly is valued at about £4 where the vinyl is valued at about £2. There are loads of the vinyl album on Discogs for that silly price so, I think I may be hunting down a copy sometime soon

Another On-U Sound product. This time a debut solo album by label mainstay, bass player Doug Wimbish (original Sugerhill gang studio musician, Tackhead and Living Colour)

Downtempo bass driven soundscapes in the main. Usual suspects in the main supporting him here but notably the legendary keyboardist Bernie Worrel (Paliament, Funkadelic et al) and Talvin Singh on Tablas

My version is a release on CD issued by Dude Records in Germany but I've again just spotted some decent vinyl copies of the On-U original release for a fairly decent price, again it may be on the shopping list.

This was another of those after hours wind down albums

Glorification Chant

R-1451171-1428159251-7013.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Â