What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

45 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'm sure they sell more, if they were more systematic and logical

They like a random ass pocket miles away from where you'd think something would be.

The practical upshot of that and the staff having vinyl tunnel vision is the CD clearance section is usually very good :) 

• Haha 2

Anyway, here's an album that I've owned on CD for years but wanted on vinyl. It was still beiing made apparently, my usual shop tell me they can't get any because they've tried even before I asked.

So yesterday I see this in Rough Trade, it goes straight into my mental definites list, what, even better it's on sale at £13, which is odd because no-ones been able to order copies for a good couple of years (and this is still the 2016 180g version, it may be a new pressing but I cant tell)

Then I go to Fopp, its on offer in there too (£14), it seems like these have been stuck in a warehouse and someone just found a truckload...

Talk Talk's final album - Laughing Stock, in the same vein as it's two predecessors but not quite hitting their absolute peaks, still brilliant though. That completes the Talk Talk albums I want to own (the last three)

R-8574859-1552604977-4232.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

And to complete the Mark Hollis collection is his only solo album, originally released in 1998. It was going to me released as Talk Talk with the title Mountains of the Moon but when it finally was released it became an eponymously titled solo album

It's almost as good as Laughing Stock, which would make it 4th in the rankings for me but that isn't to diminish it's greatness. He never made another record and sadly passed away last year.

R-14282355-1571582464-2674.jpeg.jpg

This one is partly embarrasing as I appear to have not read what I was buying, pah

I know of three fantasic Dub albums that do not have their roots in a reggae album, There's The Secret Life of the FLying Lizards by The Flying Lizards, Primal Scream's Echo Dek (mainly dubbed by the godlike genius Adrian Maxwell Sherwood) and No Protection (Mad Professor at the controls). I have the Flying Lizards one on vinyl already, Echo Dek has only ever been released on vinyl as a 7" box set when it was first released (might be buying that off discogs in a bit) but I have it on CD and I have the Massive Attack one on CD

I saw this in Rough Trade and thought, ah hell yes, I'll have me a vinyl copy of that, thinking it was No Protection with a new cover. It's only now I realise this is a totally different record. This is the Mad Professors dub mixes of Mezzanine period Massive Attack, six tracks from Mezzanine itself and the other two are Wire (a track recorded for the film Welcome to Sarajevo) and most intrigingly a Dub of Superpredators, a track which itself was a sort of cover of Siouxsie's Metal Postcard - the Dub is called Metal Banshee

There might be four great Dub albums I know of that don't originate from reggae albums by the time I get to the end of this, nearing the end of side 1 and the signs are good

A very pleasant mistake as I didn't know this existed. Had I known, I'd have bought it anyway

R-14153302-1568826319-1774.jpeg.jpg

Speculative purchase. Floating points - Reflections - Mohave Desert

I had a vague recollection of this from when it was released a few years back. Electronic Ambient Jazz Rock I guess. Comes with booklet and DVD with 5.1 Surround sound film, good value at £13

Not really doing it for me though, might have to pass this on. A bit too noodley for my tastes.

R-10499596-1499607310-8839.jpeg.jpg

I think I’ve played that Funkadelic album every evening of the last week.

The lyric ‘The kingdom of heaven is within’, is kind of stuck on loop in my head right now.

Not so much an album, more a guidebook to life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Another I have wanted for ages since I lost my CD of it

Godspeed You Black Emperor! ‎– Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven

This would definitely be in my Post-Rock Hall of Fame

R-12404453-1543722165-8838.jpeg.jpg

Redeemed. Despite the gravy errors of your ways. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

The Handsome Family - Unseen

Been into these since they did the music for the opening credits on S1 of True Detective, and this is another lovely slice of Alternative Country. Great stuff.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2020 at 15:13, bickster said:

Anyway, here's an album that I've owned on CD for years but wanted on vinyl. It was still beiing made apparently, my usual shop tell me they can't get any because they've tried even before I asked.

So yesterday I see this in Rough Trade, it goes straight into my mental definites list, what, even better it's on sale at £13, which is odd because no-ones been able to order copies for a good couple of years (and this is still the 2016 180g version, it may be a new pressing but I cant tell)

Then I go to Fopp, its on offer in there too (£14), it seems like these have been stuck in a warehouse and someone just found a truckload...

Talk Talk's final album - Laughing Stock, in the same vein as it's two predecessors but not quite hitting their absolute peaks, still brilliant though. That completes the Talk Talk albums I want to own (the last three)

R-8574859-1552604977-4232.jpeg.jpg

I came within a gnat's pube of buying this last week, found it in a record store in Amsterdam last week that I thought I was going to be murdered in (it was just boxes piled high everywhere, you could hardly breath let alone move, looked more like a garage than a shop), it came down to this or Slint's Spiderland and I ultimately went with the latter (couldn't justify both, I've promised myself not to get into vinyl beyond a few select records as I don't need any more money-sinks).

3 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

I came within a gnat's pube of buying this last week, found it in a record store in Amsterdam last week that I thought I was going to be murdered in (it was just boxes piled high everywhere, you could hardly breath let alone move, looked more like a garage than a shop), it came down to this or Slint's Spiderland and I ultimately went with the latter (couldn't justify both, I've promised myself not to get into vinyl beyond a few select records as I don't need any more money-sinks).

Currently on offer at £13, gwan gwan gwan gwan, you know you want to

Another one I've been looking out for for a while.

Teeth of the Sea - Wraith

Apart from On-U Sound (and possibly now Hoga Nord) I'm not a big label collector by that I mean I don't look out for stuff on a particular label but I'm always pleased when I find something I like and its on Rocket Recordings, always well packaged and I've never had a problem with their pressing quality. Here's another such example. I do have a good number of albums on Rocket now

R-13247935-1551124837-4471.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

You're on a roll. 

That's Jimmy, we used to work together with Mike the electronics guy.

J's in Angel Witch as well.

He has a hand in the Supernormal festival, writes for the music press and has a full time job.

Busy lad he is :) 

• Like 1

Â