What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Just now, chrisp65 said:

What’s the difference between Fopp and HMV then?

These days I'm not so sure, before the takeover and the we love vinyl again mission the difference was vast. Fopp also used to be cheaper (probably down to the rents & locations)

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My Mrs was very taken with Foyles, that’s on her list of places on a London tour now. 

It's nice. One of the reasons I've not said much in the best of 2019 albums thread, been buying classical from Foyles. The Jazz Section looks small, but is good.

18 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What’s the difference between Fopp and HMV then?

Pricing structure.

There's someone with a music brain at Fopp Covent Garden and a couple of able lieutenants. He'll keep it decent if supply lines are good.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

@XannIs it worth making the trip out to Brick Lane for Rough trade East or does the old shop off the Portobello Road carry similar stock, would you know?

For you? That's a big fat YES.

Good chance it'll be your favourite store here.

Big Flashback and the Greenwich guy as outsiders.

Greenwich guy always had amazing records which I could never afford a couple of decades ago :) 

Holding a Group 1850 record in your hand, with what you thought was a lot of money in your pocket.

Turning the record over and finding you could buy 20% of it :D 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

OK next question @Xann do you know anywhere that might stock the Hoga Nord label? (Sorry about the questions)

A lot of the little ones :)

Rough Trade. It's their bag and the Weatherall album makes it a banker.

I'd be surprised if Fopp didn't try to get that tbh?

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Oops, that’s all I can say... 19 albums. Oh well 😂

And for the record Fopp is generally more expensive than Rough Trade by some considerable pounds in some cases

Spitalfields has a record label market a couple of times a year. Very civilised and a proper little beer zone bonus.

That's when to do the Brick Lane run from Liverpool St.

Picked up a couple of nice things there.  A brilliant test pressing from Mr Bongo's random bin of an album they didn't get to release was £5. 

There's signed bits and special editions.

You might want a trolley, or a camel or something?

Oh, I Bought 5 albums from Fopp for a tenner, what can I say? :)

51 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

There really is some excellent stuff in the Bruton and KPM libraries.

The KPM 1000 series on Spotify is the best reason for Spotify.

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Spitalfields has a record label market a couple of times a year. Very civilised and a proper little beer zone bonus.

Picked up a couple of nice things there.  A brilliant test pressing from Mr Bongo's random bin of an album they didn't get to release was £5. 

Yeah CDs are cheap vinyl is definitely cheaper in Rough Trade

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Oops, that’s all I can say... 19 albums. Oh well 😂

And for the record Fopp is generally more expensive than Rough Trade by some considerable pounds in some cases

I believe the correct etiquette on a high score is to bracket the word for clarity (nineteen).

I don’t think I’ll have 19 when we do the end of year top ten!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Xann said:

I've got quite a few Bruton and KPM vinyls. Visual Impact (KPM) is probably my favourite in terms of what I own.

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I've got quite a few Bruton and KPM vinyls. Visual Impact (KPM) is probably my favourite in terms of what I own.

Don't really buy KPM on vinyl, though I've got 'Music of the 30s and 40s' and 'Synthesis'.

Library records became library CDs, then library HDs and now you download them from the publisher.

They aren't really meant to be listened to as a long play experience. The titles that do hang together as albums tend to be the most expensive, like the two Big Beats and the Stefano Torossi 'Feelings' in the pic, which unsurprisingly were reissued on CD to the public.

Some of the themed comps are convenient, fab and cheap. 'Shut It' the Sweeney comp is brilliant, the 'Blow Up' releases are dancefloor classics.

I pick them up as they come. 

Photo1444.thumb.jpg.967b01a72b198ab2f67e97541b6fd715.jpg

• Like 1

In that pic.

From Soundsational - 'Sort Of Soul'

Soul Impressions - 'Drug Song'

Bite Harder - 'Underlay No 3'

Rhythms - 'Bass In Action No 1'

Retro - 'The King's Champion'

'Military War II' is Laurie Johnson. 'Quirky World' is mostly Vladimir Cosma.

The Extreme library Dansette has 5 beautifully packaged disks in. They clip together magnetically.

I saved it fom the bin when the Extreme library started issuing Hard Drives with their catalogue on instead.

Went straight to bed last nigt so didn't listen to anything I'd bought

So, it's Sunday morning... this seems the most appropriate album to start the day off. Not the version pictured but this one's on the Audio Clarity label (seems to be Russian) and was at the bargain end of what I bought yesterday at £10.99

I must say, given that any Jazz album is a purely speculative purchase for me, I like this one.

R-11634289-1546039394-5116.png.jpg

• Like 1

So moving on, more Sunday morning music... Nina Simone - Pastel Blues

Another purchase at the buget end and again I'm no expert here but at £13 it has Sinnerman and Strange Fruit on it so that was enough for me.

R-8803959-1469111671-5597.jpeg.jpg

• Like 1

Moving on, I bought a little more classic Krautrock yesterday. Now I'm a little more with it, we're onto...

Can's second studio album - Tago Mago

R-7946792-1452202202-6272.jpeg.jpg

EDIT: I think thats the first (and second) time I've listened to that all the way through from start to finish. Both times I was left stunned, that final track "Bring Me Coffee or Tea" just left me almost paralysed for a second when it ends. I was just lost in the music both times

• Like 1

Oh and better in here than the piss you off thread, I may have mentioned this before

Rough Trade's classification of its stock is utterly bizarre.

I really don't want to have to think, is this band Australian or American? I get splitting out certain genres, Dance for example, I absolutely get that but then separating it into subgenres is nonsense, I couldn't tell you what RT clases as Techno and Electronica given that the Krautrock section was full of Kraftwerk. Where does Andrew Weatherall fit into all of this?

The Industrial Section was even more odd Nine Inch Nails in there alongside Throbbing Gristle? Thats two completely different things in my book but Cabaret Voltaire were in punk and post-punk...

Looking for Damaged Bug? I was. That'll be under D obviously in the US section, they haven't got any. OK I wonder if they have Orc by The Oh Sees, bugger, they haven't but look, Damaged Bug is in here, Yes I know they are both John Dwyer but they are entirely different artists and if you're going to do that have them under D for Dwyer (they do exactly that for Ty Segall)

I'm sure they sell more, if they were more systematic and logical

Â