What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I had to dismantle the HiFi before and now its back together again... it's pretty much a tradition for me to play this. Everyone should own a copy of this. As much as I couldn't do you a top ten of my favourite albums, if I did, this would nearly always be in it

R-1587289-1430139728-3840.jpeg.jpg

I’ve found a whole bunch of old albums. Most are clearly mine or hers.

There’s a TalkTalk album in there, neither of us are claiming it.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I’ve found a whole bunch of old albums. Most are clearly mine or hers.

There’s a TalkTalk album in there, neither of us are claiming it.

If its any of the last three it should be yours

2nd time tonight for this one. Goat - World Music. Clear Yellow Vinyl

R-4088159-1359713539-2173.jpeg.jpg

We have a discussion in here about sales every now and again. This is hardly chart fodder but I came across this list on Discogs of the different pressings of this album and I doubt you'll find many copies for sale in the shops anywhere. Thats nearly 20,000 copies

(08/12) CD and LP ltd 1000 copies (300 orange / 700 black)
(09/12) LP ltd 1000 copies (200 green / 800 red)
(11/12) LP ltd 3000 copies (yellow)
(01/13) LP ltd 3000 copies (clear)
(04/13) LP ltd 2200 copies (2000 blue / 200 purple)
(07/13) LP ltd 1000 copies (transparent blue)
(11/13) LP ltd 850 copies (grey)
(11/13) LP ltd 150 copies (black and white splatter / Sound it Out exclusive)
(01/14) LP ltd 2000 copies (transparent green)
(09/14) LP ltd 1000 copies (fluoro pink)
(12/14) LP ltd 2000 copies (clear peppermint)
(03/15) LP ltd 1000 copies (clear yellow)
(05/16) LP ltd 1000 copies (mustard)
(01/17) LP ltd 800 copies (orange/purple splatter)
(07/17) LP ltd 800 copies (blue & purple colour in colour)

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

If its any of the last three it should be yours

‘The Part’s Over’ 1982. Absolute blank on that, so it’s in the maybe pile heading towards the garage dump store.

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

2nd time tonight for this one. Goat - World Music. Clear Yellow Vinyl

R-4088159-1359713539-2173.jpeg.jpg

We have a discussion in here about sales every now and again. This is hardly chart fodder but I came across this list on Discogs of the different pressings of this album and I doubt you'll find many copies for sale in the shops anywhere. Thats nearly 20,000 copies

(08/12) CD and LP ltd 1000 copies (300 orange / 700 black)
(09/12) LP ltd 1000 copies (200 green / 800 red)
(11/12) LP ltd 3000 copies (yellow)
(01/13) LP ltd 3000 copies (clear)
(04/13) LP ltd 2200 copies (2000 blue / 200 purple)
(07/13) LP ltd 1000 copies (transparent blue)
(11/13) LP ltd 850 copies (grey)
(11/13) LP ltd 150 copies (black and white splatter / Sound it Out exclusive)
(01/14) LP ltd 2000 copies (transparent green)
(09/14) LP ltd 1000 copies (fluoro pink)
(12/14) LP ltd 2000 copies (clear peppermint)
(03/15) LP ltd 1000 copies (clear yellow)
(05/16) LP ltd 1000 copies (mustard)
(01/17) LP ltd 800 copies (orange/purple splatter)
(07/17) LP ltd 800 copies (blue & purple colour in colour)

For me, it’s got to be green, the others are just soooo common.

39261833434_b2b7a19b44.jpg

I guess it’s an interesting way of keeping the sales going, not over committing to having 20,000 stuck on a shelf somewhere and the low number different colours entices some people to buy for the pretty colours, I guess.

See, you’ve prompted me to go on discogs for what’s currently playing here and someone is trying to flog one for £49. Two things, first off, it’s only worth that if someone else actually hands over the money. Second, I can’t imagine selling a record (though I would happily hand one over if someone liked it).

Anyhoo, ladies and gentlemen I give you my double 10”, Mike Cooper, hand printed artwork copy of Rayon Hula.

36528992160_0a0fe6b55a_z.jpg

It’s a subtle relaxing blend of bird song, Hawaiian guitar and radio interference. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I guess it’s an interesting way of keeping the sales going, not over committing to having 20,000 stuck on a shelf somewhere and the low number different colours entices some people to buy for the pretty colours, I guess.

Yeah I agree but my point was that those best selling charts are utter nonsense. Goat, a band few even on here have really heard of (apart from a few of us very occasionally posting about them) have sold 20k copies of an album in 4 or 5 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Yeah I agree but my point was that those best selling charts are utter nonsense. Goat, a band few even on here have really heard of (apart from a few of us very occasionally posting about them) have sold 20k copies of an album in 4 or 5 years.

I did get the point, honest, just got distracted and didn’t reference that point in my ramblings!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

II have some time to myself in London tomorrow. Any record shop recommendations apart from the obvious Rrough Trade & Soho obviousness

Sigh, you only really needed Soho once upon a time :(

tbh I spend the most money in Fopp.

There are other good shops, but they're scattershot around the map.

The Flashbacks (North), Honest Jon's (Portobello Rd), the guy on Greenwich Market (Always been there but I think he's got a shop that's less dingy now), Foyles (Classical, Jazz, Blues and a bit of World, possibly the strongest genre shop in town), Intoxica moved up to Kentish Town, Darren's place In Tooting Market (Dr Vinyl) punches above its weight. It's worth speaking to him if you're going to be down a bit? He's got much more elsewhere that he can bring in. The Book and Record Bar in Norbury.

• Thanks 1

Oh - Banquet in Kingston. Formally Beggars. I still miss the Putney one :(

Oops - Soul Brother in Putney! Another great genre shop.

One more - I try get to Broadway Records on Dawes Road in Fulham a couple of times a year. He enjoys a good relationship with Ace records and sells their titles cheaper than most.

Edited by Xann
  • Thanks 1

@xann tipped me off about Soul Brother, it’s pricey but very good.

35035937223_73ba33e94d_n.jpg

I’ve been back a couple of times since, but not seen anything I wanted sufficiently at the price they were asking. Which is a bit awkward in a shop that’s fairly small.

A bit too far out, but that reggae record shop in Croydon had a good selection of new and used that wasn’t just Soul Jazz releases and Bob Marley. There’s some Junior Minott in there I need to return for. It’s About 10 / 20 metres along from Banksy’s new shop.

I tried to go in Left For Dead in Shrewsbury earlier this week. Got there just after 11:00 and they were ‘opening late’. Went back at lunchtime and couldn’t get in. Went back just after 2:00 and sign in window said back at 2:30. I gave up, citing the 3 strikes and out rule.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

@xann tipped me off about Soul Brother, it’s pricey but very good.

35035937223_73ba33e94d_n.jpg

I’ve been back a couple of times since, but not seen anything I wanted sufficiently at the price they were asking. Which is a bit awkward in a shop that’s fairly small.

A bit too far out, but that reggae record shop in Croydon had a good selection of new and used that wasn’t just Soul Jazz releases and Bob Marley. There’s some Junior Minott in there I need to return for. It’s About 10 / 20 metres along from Banksy’s new shop.

I tried to go in Left For Dead in Shrewsbury earlier this week. Got there just after 11:00 and they were ‘opening late’. Went back at lunchtime and couldn’t get in. Went back just after 2:00 and sign in window said back at 2:30. I gave up, citing the 3 strikes and out rule.

Going to be my usual vague self here. In the early 2000's when I used to frequent Notting Hill Arts Centre like the clearing in the woods I was, there was a bustling reggae shop near that, never went in of course but it was established and the sort of place that I would remember the name of if you ever have a desperate need to, I think it was something sound???

8 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Going to be my usual vague self here. In the early 2000's when I used to frequent Notting Hill Arts Centre like the clearing in the woods I was, there was a bustling reggae shop near that, never went in of course but it was established and the sort of place that I would remember the name of if you ever have a desperate need to, I think it was something sound???

unnamed-13.jpg

I don’t know the place, I just have access to google you lazy bastard.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Yeah that was kind of my real desperate last ditch ah sod it place to go as its not really what I want

Can't believe I'm not mentioning Camden these days. Though there is a good one on Inverness Street.

I'll be in Fopp and Foyles tomorrow, probably?

19 minutes ago, Xann said:

Can't believe I'm not mentioning Camden these days. Though there is a good one on Inverness Street.

My Mrs was very taken with Foyles, that’s on her list of places on a London tour now. 

48 minutes ago, Xann said:

Not sure Foyles will be on my intinerary but Fopp might be, as I did miss it in Bristol when it shut

Â