What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

You should check out

"Sunflower" (1970)

"Surfs Up" (1971)

"Carl & The Passions - So Tough" (1972)

"Holland" (1973)

Easily my favourite Beach Boys period, and criminally overlooked.

I will look them up.

Creatures of habit, me n you. But I'd say smashed off his tits failed rehab acid country music is fairly different.

But don't worry! I've already moved on...you'll love the next one.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Mountain, Nantucket Sleighride.

You should follow that with Procol Harum's "Whaling Stories" and Zeppelin's "Moby Dick". 

• Like 1

R-569222-1187292559.jpeg.jpg

Reanimation by Linkin Park

The last couple days have been one of reflection due to vocalist Chester Bennington's death the other day. 

Linkin Park were a huge part of my formative years as a human on this planet. I was 11-years old when their debut record 'Hybrid Theory' was released and it changed my outlook on music. Here were six guys doing something I'd never heard before combining hip-hop with metal and it opened my ears to sounds, textures and styles that opened my mind musically. Now since then I have moved on from Linkin Park maybe taking a short moment to make a snarky comment about the "shit they are putting out now", but my love for what they used to do is still there. This band like bands for many before and after me was my key to explore the musical landscape and I did. Without this band almost all the music I love now from Pink Floyd to Kendrick Lamar to Suicide Silence to Arcade Fire and beyond, I could literally name thousands of artists and bands, but I likely wouldn't listen to any of them now because my horizons prior to Linkin Park were the Top 40 charts and nothing more.

Now I may be giving Linkin Park way more credit than they deserve and maybe another band would have had the same impact, but I can't know that for sure, all I do know is that without Linkin Park my musical tastes and journey would likely be completely different. 

Listening to 'Reanimation' now brings back so many memories, it's been a blast revisiting it.    

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

22 when he recorded this album

He's a really nice chap.

He has a clutch of acts under his wing. Before tours or album releases, Courtney would be out flyering the record shops and venues himself.

Sometimes a couple of times a week.

Doing his bit to keep Jazz bubbling under. whilst it finds footholds away from its heartland in the West End.

The pervading culture is money in Soho these days.

• Like 1

Yeah I liked Courtney Pine early on and then went to see him in concert.

He turned up over an hour late, but it was a seated gig and apparently he had insisted we all stay in the hall so when he arrived he could just get started. i wasn't overly happy with that, then when he did turn up he just walked on stage and started playing. No explanation or apology for the hour, no small talk or rapport.

I had my wife with me and a jazz thing was always a big ask from her, so the extra hour and the lack of warmth meant she was sat there hating him. It's really difficult to enjoy a show when the negatives waves coming off the person next to you are actually palpable.

Took years to get back in to him after that night. But I'm sure he's glad to know I've since forgiven him. He was basically still a kid and appears to be more rounded now - or at least have better PR...but from Xann's comment, the former.

Anyway...

36085903585_63fc55a674_b.jpg

Â