What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

Following on from the previous post, been listening to Shazam tonight. Oh my god The Move were a heavy band. I gotta wonder how much Roy Wood influenced the Sabbath guys (and vice versa) - they must have crossed paths in the late 60s.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Following on from the previous post, been listening to Shazam tonight. Oh my god The Move were a heavy band. I gotta wonder how much Roy Wood influenced the Sabbath guys (and vice versa) - they must have crossed paths in the late 60s.

I love that album. Some of the Brummie voxpops are priceless. 

7 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Heavy? Like sabbath heavy? Must investigate. Heard of them, but never listened to them.

52 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Heavy? Like sabbath heavy? Must investigate. Heard of them, but never listened to them.

Not Sabbath heavy at all. But Roy Wood could knock out a good riff when he wanted to. That album is really diverse - jangly folk-rock, baroque pop, ballads, sitar ragas, proto-heavy - and some very funny Brummie spoken bits. I think you'd like it, Ruge. Anybody from the West Midlands who's into music of that era needs to own The Move's albums (and a decent singles compilation).

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Not Sabbath heavy at all. But Roy Wood could knock out a good riff when he wanted to. That album is really diverse - jangly folk-rock, baroque pop, ballads, sitar ragas, proto-heavy - and some very funny Brummie spoken bits. I think you'd like it, Ruge. Anybody from the West Midlands who's into music of that era needs to own The Move's albums (and a decent singles compilation).

Interestingly I think they were, but only in 'bits'. Things like the horror outro to Disturbance, the riffing in the song I linked to above, the demonic ending to Open Up Said The World At the Door. But they tended to mitigate the heaviness with the tunes and harmonies and subject matter and often ended up with a weird heavy rock/flower power hybrid thing. And of course they used to chop up cars with axes on stage.

Roy Wood carried some of that proto-metal stuff across into Wizzard as well - Wizzard Brew is called 'easily the loudest record of its era' and 'sonic terrorism' by All Music, even though all the Harvey stuff is accompanied by jazz saxophones! Roy Wood is a crazy genius.

Edited by Lichfield Dean
In my haste to type I got the wrong song and meant Disturbance
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lichfield Dean said:

... a weird heavy rock/flower power hybrid thing.

'Make It With Me' by Paul Revere and the Raiders is an interesting track. Before The Move and the same year as Blue Cheer's first two albums and the Beatles' 'Helter Skelter'.

It fits your description above quite well.

3 hours ago, Xann said:

'Make It With Me' by Paul Revere and the Raiders is an interesting track. Before The Move and the same year as Blue Cheer's first two albums and the Beatles' 'Helter Skelter'.

It fits your description above quite well.

Were Blue Cheer the first proper heavy band? They made some decent stuff.

10 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Were Blue Cheer the first proper heavy band? They made some decent stuff.

Hard to say? They were supposedly the loudest band in the World around then though.

This is Les Fleur De Lys in 1967.

• Like 2

I think it's difficult to pin down a 'first' for anything, because no matter how far you go back, someone can say 'ah but listen to this from the year before'.

I know because it's a game I used to play when I was back living with the fam. They were all in to their heavy stuff. When I was in the mood, I'd play them a bit of Yardbirds or Small Faces from 66, 67 and 68 that would have something similar in it. 

I guess the Yardbirds is hardly a surprise. But I always thought the Small Faces were heavier than people gave them recognition for. Back to '65 and '66 they were knocking out organ pop like 'Grow Your Own' but it's a lot tougher than the screaming pop fan girls made it appear.

Even the Nut Gone album recorded in '67 released in '68 has it's moments. 

FF through to about 1'30" or so. I think you could rock out to that?

Anyways anyhoo. it's got me playing Ogden's again so that's a result.

• Like 1

Got hold of a Japanese press Smiley Smile in top nick. Strange it wasn't released in '67 as the Japs were huge Beach Boys fans, some of their early stuff was pressed over there on red vinyl. This wasn't released til 1975.

beach-boys-smiley-smile-vinyl-record-lp.

• Like 1

On 13/07/2017 at 07:08, Rugeley Villa said:

I have a Move compilation on CD, Brontosaurus and California Man are great

• Like 1

Still replacing my albums that the ex wife disposed of ten years ago...this French compilation I only had on normal black vinyl though.

1BsQS2R.jpg

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Still replacing my albums that the ex wife disposed of ten years ago...this French compilation I only had on normal black vinyl though.

1BsQS2R.jpg

Beautiful looking sleeve. 

• Like 2

Â