What Album Are You Listening To Right Now?

Dr_Alimantado

"Shits all over" is a bit strong - "Exile" is fantastic. But I agree that "Sticky Fingers" is at least its equal, if not a shade better.

I just can't get into Exile at all. Too bloated for me, and only a couple of tracks that really grab me. Apparently quite a popular album in its day though :)

It lacks the discipline of "Sticky Fingers", no question. It's sprawling and ragged and they were clearly wasted when recording it (there's a good DVD documentary about it, worth seeing).

Funnily enough, the initial reviews were almost universally poor - personally, I loved it.

Then, some years later, the critics all did a volte-face and declared it to be The Stones' greatest album. Too far the other way, really. But it is arguably the swansong of the golden era that started with "Beggars' Banquet".

"Shits all over" is a bit strong - "Exile" is fantastic. But I agree that "Sticky Fingers" is at least its equal, if not a shade better.

I just can't get into Exile at all. Too bloated for me, and only a couple of tracks that really grab me. Apparently quite a popular album in its day though :)

It lacks the discipline of "Sticky Fingers", no question. It's sprawling and ragged and they were clearly wasted when recording it (there's a good DVD documentary about it, worth seeing).

Funnily enough, the initial reviews were almost universally poor - personally, I loved it.

Then, some years later, the critics all did a volte-face and declared it to be The Stones' greatest album. Too far the other way, really. But it is arguably the swansong of the golden era that started with "Beggars' Banquet".

Yeh, think I've seen that.. this was the album recorded mostly in Keith's basement in France? 

Got all those classic era albums a few months back, been meaning to for about 20 years! Very rewarding.

Last ever lunchtime trip to the closing-down Discovery Records in Bradford, yielded (all at two quid a throw):

MI0000098087.jpg

1001158.jpg

show-of-hands-arrogance-ignorance-and-gr

John-Fogerty-Centerfiel.jpg

j.j._cale-troubadour.jpg

No_Quarter_-_Front.jpg

Edited by mjmooney

Never ever liked the no quarter album by page and plant and it was shitty that they got together and done it completely behing JPJ's back

I really like that album. The version of kashmir, the full extended one, not on the album, where the Moroccan musicians just rock out at the end is fantastic.

currently listening to The new Eels relese, Wonderful Glorious along with the tremendous Dynamite live album in prep for seeing them live on Saturday (and having a reminisce of the gig in Melbourne from that tour) , been a bit busy lately but hopeing to check The Veils - Time stays, We go and the Foals new release.

I had completely missed that the fantastic El Ten Eleven had a new album - Transitions - out last year.  Been giving it a listen over the weekend and it has all their textbook jerky, soaring brilliance.

Apparently some **** pikey has had away with all the band's gear though.  :(

Â