• Benitez
    • McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

Have been thinking about AMs imminent appointment and spoken with my 2 lads tonight. Having started to get used to the idea (we have to), I'm going to renew our 3 STs. Decided that we need to keep supporting the team and to hit the board in the pocket will hurt the club and its potential investment in strengthening the side.

Logically, Lerner will need to arm AM with a decent transfer kitty to give him every chance of success otherwise the backlash will be immense if he has a bad start to the season. I've met AM and he's a decent guy. I hope fans judge him on his management now and refrain from the personal insults which he certainly does not deserve.

Most level headed & sensible post i've read today..

My view is simply that we now have a time issue & due to the state of the current squad we simply have to make a start now & no player would come here with no manager.. My favoured choice was not AM either but for me Hughes is off to Chelsea & this would explain the slience from both him & them plus "he would be welcomed here by the players" comments from John Terry... If there has been any tapping up going on its Chelsea & Hughes.

As for AM well i am too very concerned about his playing style but wouldn't it be possible for Randy to say "Listen Alex, you can have the job but on the condition you understand that here at Villa we do require a more attractive style than your previous teams?"

Also i think we are all forgetting that we can always replace him if things don't pan out well enough. I guess i just think that it looks like we are getting him anyhow so lets now turn our attention to what players we need, call a truce & give the guy a chance for the sake of the team if nothing else.. If things don't work out then take a shot on someone like Rikjaard or maybe someone else may be avaliable by then.

Thing if we want to replace him 12 months down the line .......who does the replacing ? Lerner and Faulkner ? .............we will only be here again - Perhaps discussing Billy Davies & Aidy boothroyd for example.

Hear what your saying Smetrov loud & clear.. you would i suppose have to hope that if that does happen Randy will have learned some big lessons & will sack his current advisors or something :? Then realise it needs to be done different... It could of course bite everyone on the arse however & we come out playing like Barcelona & win the League? :| ............Ok no it couldn't :lol:

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing our squad needs is discipline. McLeish will bring that in abundance. The talk of relegation is rediculous. Lets give the guy a chance.

and just remind me how two of his 3 seasons in the premiership ended despite him instilling enough discipline in the noses team to have one of the best defensive records.

To dismiss relegation with AM in charge is burying your head in the sand

Have been thinking about AMs imminent appointment and spoken with my 2 lads tonight. Having started to get used to the idea (we have to), I'm going to renew our 3 STs. Decided that we need to keep supporting the team and to hit the board in the pocket will hurt the club and its potential investment in strengthening the side.

Logically, Lerner will need to arm AM with a decent transfer kitty to give him every chance of success otherwise the backlash will be immense if he has a bad start to the season. I've met AM and he's a decent guy. I hope fans judge him on his management now and refrain from the personal insults which he certainly does not deserve.

My view is simply that we now have a time issue & due to the state of the current squad we simply have to make a start now & no player would come here with no manager.. My favoured choice was not AM either but for me Hughes is off to Chelsea & this would explain the slience from both him & them plus "he would be welcomed here by the players" comments from John Terry... If there has been any tapping up going on its Chelsea & Hughes.

As for AM well i am too very concerned about his playing style but wouldn't it be possible for Randy to say "Listen Alex, you can have the job but on the condition you understand that here at Villa we do require a more attractive style than your previous teams?"

Also i think we are all forgetting that we can always replace him if things don't pan out well enough. I guess i just think that it looks like we are getting him anyhow so lets now turn our attention to what players we need, call a truce & give the guy a chance for the sake of the team if nothing else.. If things don't work out then take a shot on someone like Rikjaard or maybe someone else may be avaliable by then.

Some sense being spoken here.

I still don't like it, but we might not have a choice and before you know it the next season will be on us. Whatever happens, we need to pull together or the negativity (mispalced or not) will transfer itself to those eleven blokes on the pitch. The effect of that, I'm sure, is'nt lost on any of us!

And anyway, as you point out, Alex Mcleish is just a manager....and managers ARE expendable.

It's great that he's a lovely, honest decent guy with balls of steel, however is he any GOOD?
You can't sniff at his credentials. On that basis alone, he deserved a meeting. At the end of the day it's a job interview, and with his CV McLeish would have every right to feel aggrieved if Villa hadn't called him to have talks (just as Steve McLaren has every right to feel aggrieved).

I think the reaction is bonkers Julie and I really believe that the majority of the reaction is down to the fact that he is has been Birminghams manager for the past few years..
It has very little to do with that! It's his shit football, shit signings and the fact that he's gotten a team relegated twice in the last 4 seasons. Admittedly, it is bad that he's come SHA, but only because when anyone tries to express their disapproval of the appointment people just come back with "you're only saying that because he managed Birmingham".

**** OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RELEGATION HERE WE COME!

BYE STU, BYE DARREN.

LEARNER IS A SELL OUT!!!!!!!!!!

AVFC IS NOW DEAD END OF

Joking? If not massive over-reaction!

Eck is our manager now, not the Blues, he is the manager of Aston Villa FC. With my Villa goggles off, I happen to be more optimistic than most and think he could do a good job for the club. Will do a better job than McClaren, Grayson, Houghton, and that bunch of managers linked with us in my opinion.

It's great that he's a lovely, honest decent guy with balls of steel, however is he any GOOD?
You can't sniff at his credentials. On that basis alone, he deserved a meeting. At the end of the day it's a job interview, and with his CV McLeish would have every right to feel aggrieved if Villa hadn't called him to have talks (just as Steve McLaren has every right to feel aggrieved).

What credentials?

Oh sorry I forgot, 2 relegations and a shit brand of football!

I've lost my energy and vigour to contest this.

My love for the club will never diminish - whether it's Mcleish, Phil Mitchell, Graham Norton, Krusty the Clown or Kermit the frog in charge............ we have no real option but to get behind the name of Aston Villa and hope the guy proves the lot of us wrong

Some sense being spoken here.

I still don't like it, but we might not have a choice and before you know it the next season will be on us. Whatever happens, we need to pull together or the negativity (mispalced or not) will transfer itself to those eleven blokes on the pitch. The effect of that, I'm sure, is'nt lost on any of us!

And anyway, as you point out, Alex Mcleish is just a manager....and managers ARE expendable.

He has not been appointed yet, so dont start saying your going to support him, we still live in hope that Randy will make the right decision.

The one thing our squad needs is discipline. McLeish will bring that in abundance. The talk of relegation is rediculous. Lets give the guy a chance.

and just remind me how two of his 3 seasons in the premiership ended despite him instilling enough discipline in the noses team to have one of the best defensive records.

To dismiss relegation with AM in charge is burying your head in the sand

I have faith with the players we have. I am not burying my head in the sand nor am I wallowing in self pity.

I think he will do well.