• McClaren
    • Martinez
    • Hughes
    • Poyet
    • Coyle
    • Rijkaard
    • Other (Please State)

It is not going to be McLeish.

The board discounted Hughes for the same thing McLeish has just done.

There are other managers available who would make more sense.

I'd say there is no chance we'd look past other managers to go out of our way to hire someone who goes against our 'loyalty' stance and is disliked by the fans.

People are on a wind up making this link.

I really hope your right!!!

You would have thought with the board being businessmen they would have had a contingency plan in place. But to take between 2-4 weeks and appoint a manager of McCleish's calibre is taking the piss. We've heard spouted that things take time, well look at Fulham, prime example. The board are not handling this well, unless, no one is generally interested in the position.

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not going to be McLeish.

The board discounted Hughes for the same thing McLeish has just done.

There are other managers available who would make more sense.

I'd say there is no chance we'd look past other managers to go out of our way to hire someone who goes against our 'loyalty' stance and is disliked by the fans.

People are on a wind up making this link.

It seems the spin on that has already been layed out by the generals comments.

It would appear we are to empathise with Alex McCraps circumstances as the dog eaters didnt back him properly. Soudns like hypocritical bullshit to me.

I don't know what worries me more:

a) The idea of Mcleish as manager

B) The reaction of the fans; inevitable booing at every opportunity and the nation's media crucifying us for it.

Lerner has an atrocious record of appointing managers - a record he seems set to continue with.

No he hasn't! He has appointed KMac as caretaker, which was fine, and Houllier who was a decent manager and probably the best available to us at that time.

Mysteryman

From a position of relative calm having received what I considered on Sunday night a message that I presumed had been conveyed to the person by the inner sanctum I have to hold my hands up here and say I am not 100 percent sure NOW . Unlike the Hughes one where I am 100 percent I think my messenger and me was premature with saying it won't be McCleish !

The words coming back to me ' We can't keep discounting everyone and nothing is impossible ' leads me to think there is a consideration of McCleish . I think it would be the biggest mistake of Randy's ownership if true as simply McCleish will not be given any time no chance and will be berated . He would need to win our first 6 games playing like Barcelona to have any chance with the fans . For what it's worth he comes across as a decent guy and if he had come to us from anywhere but Blues I think he may have a chance but that and the dire football throghout his reign simply cannot see how it would work and why we would want him . I still though don't think we will appoint him but I aint nowhere near as sure as I was now as obviously other targets are looking less likely and they are keeping options open .

Meltdown begins guys!

I said yesterday that MM had been guessing all along. I got a few pelters for that.

I posted yesterday morning that McLeish was being considered, and people just kept on quoting drivel that MM had posted. 'See, MM says he aint coming here so just shut up youre wrong'.

This MM bloke has you lot hanging off his every word and wont hear a bad word said about him.

Mugs the lot of ya. :winkold:

Like i said yesterday...its McLeish.

"I told you so's" really do say a lot about a person in my opinion, people want to hold on to any hope they can, and ITK posts help no matter if they are wrong or right.

Nobody likes a smart arse and its not done yet as bad as it is looking.

Not so much of a told you so, more of a wake up call to the numptys who believe every word this bloke writes.

I posted a bit of ITK yesterday and got abuse for it. Uncalled for. Dare i say it, you were probably one of the ones dishing out the abuse.

No I wasn't one of the ones giving you abuse, I leave the ITK's to the ones who have a PROVEN track record like MM.

Stu the club is in turmoil at the moment, we were expecting a manager to excite us and take us forward and in return we are being berated from every way possible, even if he came and did well we look stupid so its a no win situation , a publicity nightmare for the club so you can understand why the I told you so is not taken well.

Why are the club making so many approaches for different managers. Surely you identify the man you want then contact his agent and try to get him in. If he doesn't want it then you move on to the next target. You don't speak to 10 different managers many of whom are not suitable and then pick the best one.

Talking to someone is the best way to find out their motives/ambition, obvious really

you could just try and get Ancelotti for example, but his ambition is to get back to a big club and would be gone in another 12 months....not much help to us really!

And how do we know how many we have spoken to? Ah yes because the press say so.....

As a fan, from fan's point of view - AM is no go, relegated twice, shit tactics and players etc. - NO THANK YOU.

As a manager (not in football), from the CEO/manager's point of view - I would like to know his views, opinions on topics written above + discuss part of strategies which could be revealed, as nothing is black or white in any business - I WOULD INTERVIEW HIM.

I would also interview any other candidates on my shortlist who are allowed to or free.

Verdict: If it is AM, as a fan, I will give him transfer window and 10 matches in all competitions to convince me. If it is someone else, as a fan, I will give him whole season to convince me (same as with GH).

Lerner has an atrocious record of appointing managers - a record he seems set to continue with.

No he hasn't! He has appointed KMac as caretaker, which was fine, and Houllier who was a decent manager and probably the best available to us at that time.

His football team in the US have had a string of bad managers over there going back quite a while apparently.

The only reason its going to be McLeish is because there are no other Premiership Experianced managers available, or they wont join us. Benitez, Moyes, Ancelotti and Martinez have no doubt all turned the job down..

So it leaves managers like Hughes, McClaren and McLeish that are available and would join us.

Ive tried to write a thread to get the fans opinions on appointing a manager "without" Premierleague Experiance but its been locked. Now this site holds ALOT of power and if they create a poll to get fans views on appointing a manager from overseas, it could swing the board to look at "other" options..

If we have a poll on here,where a large response requesting that they would like the board to look at overseas options, if Moyes and co' are not available. The board might see it(as we hear many board members look in on forums) and it might just make them broaden the manager search.

It sounds to me as though the Blosers could be bullshitting on this one:

Peter Pingu is apparently the source of the "Villa approached Blues" e-mail, and finally some media outlets (the BBC website) are now including important details such as:

1) Blues are clearly quoted as the source of the story; and

2) Villa haven't made a comment.

Now unlike Sky, the BBC doesn't have, or constantly advertise a bookmaking business (Skybet) that makes a tidy sum from all this speculation.

It wouldn't surprise me if Pingu is making all this up. He wants to paint McLeish as the villan (no pun intended) after he jacked and has generally been supported for doing so. Pingu sounds like a bit of a loose cannon, describing his own manager as "...no Mourinho" and offering backhanded support - "Sure you're job's safe, as long as you get us promoted in one season".

Ginger Jock 1 - 0 Pingu Gobshite

The only reason its going to be McLeish is because there are no other Premiership Experianced managers available, or they wont join us. Benitez, Moyes, Ancelotti and Martinez have no doubt all turned the job down..

So it leaves managers like Hughes, McClaren and McLeish that are available and would join us.

Ive tried to write a thread to get the fans opinions on appointing a manager "without" Premierleague Experiance but its been locked. Now this site holds ALOT of power and if they create a poll to get fans views on appointing a manager from overseas, it could swing the board to look at "other" options..

If we have a poll on here,where a large response requesting that they would like the board to look at overseas options, if Moyes and co' are not available. The board might see it(as we hear many board members look in on forums) and it might just make them broaden the manager search.

McClaren is manager of Forest

Pannu(Pingu) has stated that for all he knows RL has flown out to meet AM to discuss the vacant position at Villa. Likewise for all I know RL may have flown to Vegas to have a night with cheap hookers, drinking whiskey and blowing the family fortune on Red.

Please be number 2, please be number 2. :nod:

Even if you try and look at McLeish objectively and ignore the issue of fan discontent, this makes no sense. He might well be a straight-up character & strong personality, which would be traits the board are after, but is he known for:

-developing youth?

-success in the Premier League?

-good football?

-being able to attract top players from around Europe?

This is a manager who has a team that lacks creativity and goals, who then takes the one talented footballer they had (Hleb) and sticks him on the bench all season.

A manager who plays for a draw in a game they needed to win to survive.

How can he possibly be the best candidate? Even if we've been turned down by several better candidates, there are always more. McClaren was a better candidate, Jol was a better candidate and they've both gone to less attractive jobs. I cannot accept that aren't potential managers out there who aren't at least as qualified as McLeish but without the baggage. It shows either limited thinking (i.e. ignoring anyone who doesn't have Premier League experience) or limited ambition (unable to tempt likes of Benitez).

I, like many of you, am so confused as to why this has even happened. Sure he has PL experience, but being relegated twice in 4 years is not great.

Trying to look on the positives and even half complimenting him or 'them' is hard.

Dann/Johnson/Foster - all highly rated across the PL

+ THE AGENTS

+ Some old players for experience (Carr/Bowyer)

+ Loans (Bentley and Hleb - either could have worked).

+ Some really crap players, especially forwards.

What could he bring to Villa? (if Randy goes against every single supporter)

A stronger defence?

He obviously likes Villa having bought THE AGENTS.

Some average players with PL experience?

Worries:Has he ever had a team where he has one of the best goal scorers? Can he deal with that?

Why would any of the players want to play under a man who has got relegated, and is a backward step - they revolted under GH who has actually achieved things!

Regarding the importance of Premier League experience.

If your experience in the league is playing shit football and being relegated twice, then surely you might as well take a punt on someone without experience.

What's this I see about people mentioning comments by the General saying Eck would do better with our resources, I can't find this?

This is the one people are up in arms about. Don't know if it is actually him or not though.

"Richard, you know I am not going to tell you anything. I will say that the uproar over McLeish is absolutely uncalled for....he certainly has proved he can manage in the big leagues...just imagine what he could do if he was with an owner who supported him."

"First off, NO ONE is confirming a rumor...I am just stating a belief. You all cling to the fact that he has seen his lads relegated twice...well, the first time he was not with the Club long enough to make much of a difference. Secondly, ...look at the owners he has worked for and their support of him monetarily. Then look at Randy and what he provides to his Managers. Third, look at his record with other Clubs...as a Manager and player. Check with Sir Alex and ask him about the man...you will get an entirely different sense. All I am saying is that the fact that he managed BCFC should not be the driving factor. Those fans who X the man out because he managed our biggest rival just seem to miss the point. YES, Randy and the Board understand the feeliings of the Fans...we are neither deaf nor blind. At the same time, whether it would be this man or any other, we need to do what we think is right for the Club. NO action is taken without HUGE input from many knowledgeable people. Honest to goodness, if a single man can cause all the fans to abandon ship, that is a sad state of affairs. What you are basically saying is, "Randy, let us pick the Manager...we know more than you, those who are advising you, those who are in the game and know the individuals, those who make a living recommending managers and players, etc. etc" Sorry, that just doesn't seem right to me. Again, I am not confirming the rumor...just simply stating my feelings...as a FAN!!!!!!!!"

Where was this posted? Its not in his thread is it?

Surely even our quiet club would have denied these allegations flying around right now, if there was no truth in them. People who think this is all smoke and mirrors still, are seriously clutching at straws.