Italian Football

Troglodyte

Has anyone ever been to a Rome Derby?

Going to rome next weekend, and planning to go to the game, looking forward to the exeperience, been to a Palermo game when i went to Sicily last year, but I expect this to be a different kettle of fish. I'm slightly nervous, given the reported fan violence surrounding the game, not to mention the hatred Italian football fans have for the English, me and my mates will undoubtedly stick out like sore thumbs.

Anyone got any advice?

I've been to a Juve vs Inter game and as long as you keep your wits about you, wear neutral clothes and stick with the majority, you'll be fine.  

Just make sure your transportation to and from the ground is organised, try not to walk around the stadiums etc etc.

There will probably be a lot of police surrounding the away fans too.

Going to rome next weekend, and planning to go to the game, looking forward to the exeperience, been to a Palermo game when i went to Sicily last year, but I expect this to be a different kettle of fish. I'm slightly nervous, given the reported fan violence surrounding the game, not to mention the hatred Italian football fans have for the English, me and my mates will undoubtedly stick out like sore thumbs.

Anyone got any advice?

Really? I went to a Serie A game last year and had no problems. Everyone was pretty friendly actually.

Edited by Mantis

Anyone got any advice?

Really? I went to a Serie A game last year and had no problems. Everyone was pretty friendly actually.

I have been to the Milan derby a couple of times. Never had any trouble at all

• 7 months later...

Just how bad are the Milan clubs these days?

It's sad to see them in decline for a number of years now but when you look at their starting line ups today it's easy to see why, both used to be rammed full of world class talent in their prime.

Inter line up troucned by Cagliari 4-1 at home today:

Inter: Handanovic; Andreolli, Vidic, Juan Jesus; Nagatomo, Hernanes, Medel (Guarin 46), Kovacic, Dodò (D’Ambrosio 44); Palacio (Icardi 69), Osvaldo

Vidic is having a nightmare so far.

Meelan team that drew with Cesana 1-1 today:

Abbiati; Abate, Rami, Zapata, De Sciglio; De Jong, Poli (Essien 71); Honda (Alex 75), Menez, Bonaventura; Torres (Pazzini 71)

You'd fancy our chances against both, far stronger line ups in the prem.

Seria A like so many leagues will be just between two teams, Juve and Roma. Dunno whether either will make much impact in champions league.

What sums Seria A these days is in the 90s the prem used to take the ageing world class talent like Vialli, Zola, Deschamps, Desaily etc when they used to hit 30 and now Seria A is doing it with Vidic and Evra to name two.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

My "second" team is AC Milan and when I started following them in 2004/5 (Not glory hunting, I just used to love all the ageing superstars they gave second chances to) (sd) and the difference in quality compared to even 3 years ago is completely staggering.

In the last couple of years, their only money output was on Balotelli and the only reason they bought him was because they knew they'd get resale value for him (still lost £6m though).

It's now just decent players leaving good teams on free transfers - players like Rami etc.

Between them, Galliani and Burlesconi are ruining the club and it'll be a long time before they get to the CL with this arrangement in place.

• 3 months later...

Bloody Milan lost 1-2 to Sassulo at home. Knobheads. Could have gone 3 points from 3rd had they won. but the good news is that Juve are starting to drop a few points so Roma are hot on their tails. I'd like Roma to win Scudetto this year - Juve are so dull.

Â