Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

12 hours ago, BOF said:

Are Danish people aware of Sandi Toksvig's existence or is she exclusively a British-made Danish celebrity?

8 hours ago, choffer said:

Apparently not known over there. 

Can we send her back after Brexit, that's one repatriation I'd be grateful for

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

Can we send her back after Brexit, that's one repatriation I'd be grateful for

You leave her alone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Eh?

Parents not married, takes both names. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it does highlight to the people that may care about such nonsense, that the child was born out of wedlock

Just now, bickster said:

Parents not married, takes both names. Not that there's anything wrong with that but it does highlight to the people that may care about such nonsense, that the child was born out of wedlock

Yeah that's not what it means

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

enlighten me

I mean I guess you COULD do that if your parents aren't married.

But double barreled surnames are usually when people get married and don't want to take one surname. So they combine them to have both. I guess traditionally it would be the woman keeping her name as well as taking her husbands but these days it's either or. It's nothing to do with being a bastard.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I mean I guess you COULD do that if your parents aren't married.

But double barreled surnames are usually when people get married and don't want to take one surname. So they combine them to have both. I guess traditionally it would be the woman keeping her name as well as taking her husbands but these days it's either or. It's nothing to do with being a bastard.

People do that? odd. Mind you I don't understand the whole marriage thing anyway

Can't say I ever come across it in adults much tbh but hey ho

I couldn't care less about what name people decide to take when they marry, but the double barreled system isn't sustainable is it?

What if Oxlade-Chamberlain and Loftus-Cheek decide to marry and combine their surnames?

A few more generations down the line and this country is going to sink due to the weight of all the surnames!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I couldn't care less about what name people decide to take when they marry, but the double barreled system isn't sustainable is it?

What if Oxlade-Chamberlain and Loftus-Cheek decide to marry and combine their surnames?

A few more generations down the line and this country is going to sink due to the weight of all the surnames!

I said that to the missus, and she said that's for our kids to worry about.   She ain't budgin ?

• Haha 1

Made In Chelsea star Ollie Locke is changing his name to Locke-Locke when he marries Gareth Locke

Surely, the joy of marrying someone with the same name is no extra paperwork?

Made In Chelsea star Ollie Locke is planning to double-barrel his surname when he's married... despite his fiance having the same name.

Speaking about the engagement in the new issue of Hello! magazine, Ollie revealed he will become Locke-Locke after their marriage.

He explained: "We are going to be Locke-Locke. I like the idea that his family and my family will be joined together."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/made-chelsea-star-ollie-locke-13338934

• Haha 3

How can movies that weren't filmed in HD/4K then be restored or upscaled or whatever word you want to use to HD or 4K?

I've just noticed that Taxi Driver is on Netflix... in HDR/Ultra HD 4K

How? That film is 40 years old. I don't understand how the quality can be increased so far as to make it 4K?

Genuine question. I have no idea how that's done. I watched Se7en the other day and again was amazed at the quality, despite it being 20 odd years old. It was absolutely in high definition.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

How can movies that weren't filmed in HD/4K then be restored or upscaled or whatever word you want to use to HD or 4K?

I've just noticed that Taxi Driver is on Netflix... in HDR/Ultra HD 4K

How? That film is 40 years old. I don't understand how the quality can be increased so far as to make it 4K?

Genuine question. I have no idea how that's done. I watched Se7en the other day and again was amazed at the quality, despite it being 20 odd years old. It was absolutely in high definition.

Actual film is very high definition anyway

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Actual film is very high definition anyway

Is that all it is?

So effectively films were (or still are?) downgraded in quality to match the medium they're being played on?

It's something I've not really thought about before, then the other day I was thinking "Hang on..."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is that all it is?

So effectively films were (or still are?) downgraded in quality to match the medium they're being played on?

It's something I've not really thought about before, then the other day I was thinking "Hang on..."

Pretty much, a single frame of a 4K film is about 9 megapixels. A single frame of 35mm film, whilst it's not an exact science and they can't really be compared like for like, is roughly equivalent to 20 megapixels, Even 16mm film is roughly 10 megapixels a frame

There is still a long way to go to catch up with film, they aren't quite up to 16mm film yet

EDIT: And then imagine big budget films were often shot on 70mm (approx 40 megapixels a frame)

• Like 4

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:39, Paddywhack said:

Well, then they can combine their names to Oxamberloek and move to the Netherlands. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Is that all it is?

It's the reason if you watch oasis music video "d'ya know what I mean?" - the definition is absolutely incredible and looks like it was filmed in 4k in 1997 lol.

Watch it, it's like going back in time 20 years with today's best cameras.

• Like 1

Â