Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Apart from the fact that I don't buy trendy brands generally, I thought for years that Ellesse was purely a women's brand, due to the name. 

Then there's the how do you pronounce that topic :D 

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Then there's the how do you pronounce that topic :D 

Eh-lees for me and all around me as a child.  That seemed to be the West Mids pronunciation.  Everyone else appears to be Eh-less-see.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Eh-lees for me and all around me as a child.  That seemed to be the West Mids pronunciation.  Everyone else appears to be Eh-less-see.

I'd have said el-ESS.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bickster said:

Scousers used to pronounce it... Élysée :D 

Not me, I just used to avoid saying the word at all 

Similarly I will never verbally order a pan au chocolat as I either sound like a try hard, faux hipster or a thick uncultured clearing in the woods depending on how much I do or don't Frenchify it.

Edited by Wainy316

On 12/07/2023 at 13:09, Wainy316 said:

Similarly I will never verbally order a pan au chocolat as I either sound like a try hard, faux hipster or a thick uncultured clearing in the woods depending on how much I do or don't Frenchify it.

Claim you're from the south of France and just call it a chocolatine.

• Like 1

On 12/07/2023 at 11:38, BOF said:

I'd have said el-ESS.

Which is correct, btw. 

The name comes from the founder’s initials: L.S. 

• Thanks 2

Why do you often just see one abandoned shoe (especially at the side of a motorway)?

What happened to cause it to be left behind? Did the owner not notice or did they just move on with one shoe missing?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Why do you often just see one abandoned shoe (especially at the side of a motorway)?

What happened to cause it to be left behind? Did the owner not notice or did they just move on with one shoe missing?

Shoe fairies. Durrr. 

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Taking hair transplants out the equation...were more people balder in the 90s? Premier league years half the players look at 57.

Humans are evolving to have less hair

I actually do wonder about this way too much. I don't understand, chemically, why bar soap works so much better to strip oil away than the various gels. I love bar soap. I can't stand shower gels, apart from one pre-gel era hippie standby called Dr. Bronner's, which leaves you minty fresh and squeaky clean. The gels just don't seem to work like soap on the molecular level. The oils are very hard to surround and rinse away for reasons I don't understand.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

7 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I actually do wonder about this way too much. I don't understand, chemically, why bar soap works so much better to strip oil away than the various gels. I love bar soap. I can't stand shower gels, apart from one pre-gel era hippie standby called Dr. Bronner's, which leaves you minty fresh and squeaky clean. The gels just don't seem to work like soap on the molecular level. The oils are very hard to surround and rinse away for reasons I don't understand.

Wears the soap. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Most Soap Bar comes from **** Holland,
They make it out of oil, and tires and pollen,
Diesel, Miramar, Flat-Press too;
These are types of Soap Bar available to you,
These little bits of plastic you find inside;
You can use those as a quality guide,
Of the standard of Soap Bar that you are smoking,
The more bits of plastic means the better the toking.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, it does, doesn't it? 

Funnily enough this ancient joke only cropped up on Friday night in the pub.  

• Like 1

Â