Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Not often, but I have definitely wondered if there is a specific name for the phenomenon whereby a word or name becomes so difficult to spell, that people make sure they get it right, whereas other less difficult, but still tricky words get regularly mis-spelled.  Call it the uncanny valley of spelling.

The example I give is Chukwuemeka.  I was sure once he became better known in the Villa community that the misspellings would be absolutely rife and hilarious. But nope. Not a bit of it. Everyone was so aware of the tricky surname and its pitfalls, that practically no-one fell into them.

The Dendoncker/Dendonker post elsewhere reminded me of this thing I have often witnessed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Not often, but I have definitely wondered if there is a specific name for the phenomenon whereby a word or name becomes so difficult to spell, that people make sure they get it right, whereas other less difficult, but still tricky words get regularly mis-spelled.  Call it the uncanny valley of spelling.

The example I give is Chukwuemeka.  I was sure once he became better known in the Villa community that the misspellings would be absolutely rife and hilarious. But nope. Not a bit of it. Everyone was so aware of the tricky surname and its pitfalls, that practically no-one fell into them.

The Dendoncker/Dendonker post elsewhere reminded me of this thing I have often witnessed.

Autocorrect probably drives a lot of this as people don't really think about spelling anymore. I typed Chukwuemeka out once taking care to get it right and let autocorrect go every time. It's probably the same for most people and for those writing Dendoncker (just spotted I have an autocorrect suggesting Deondecker). 

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Autocorrect probably drives a lot of this as people don't really think about spelling anymore. I typed Chukwuemeka out once taking care to get it right and let autocorrect go every time. It's probably the same for most people and for those writing Dendoncker (just spotted I have an autocorrect suggesting Deondecker). 

Yeah that probably covers most. I still wonder if there's an obscure term for the ones it doesn't cover though :) 

8 hours ago, BOF said:

Nah, in your theory people would then spell simple names incorrectly like Kienan Davies. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Who is the most famous woman in the world now?

The blonde bird off fake taxi who gets picked up in Wales and says she is a brunmie based on my internet search history , same as yesterday in all fairness 

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The blonde bird off fake taxi who gets picked up in Wales and says she is a brunmie based on my internet search history , same as yesterday in all fairness 

See this is why I think it's Kim Kardashian. The combined pull of her sex tape, Instagram brand, reality show, tabloid presence, and the OJ Simpson connection must cover every base.

• Haha 1

On 02/09/2022 at 13:09, Xela said:

Going back to the IKEA stuff, when I first moved into my old place a long time ago, I purchased a few things from there. I got 3 tables... I think they were £5 each! They are the LACK table. They look as though they are about £20 now. 

I still have all 3! What bargains. Why would I want to spend more on little tables? 

We bought a duvet cover and pillowcases from IKEA a number of years ago.   Good stuff.   Then one day our daughter has some US kids' sitcom on the TV and we spotted the exact same bedding on a bed.  I think it was the mother's bed, though.   I'd hate to think I've been sleeping under bedding made for kids.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Nah, in your theory people would then spell simple names incorrectly like Kienan Davies. 

Keirán Clarke was the other example.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I’ll add to this.

Why does VT have a limit on reaction? It’s not like you can spam posts with them.

It’s more because the nature of the conversation previous than any real complaint, I actually quite like it. Adds some flavour to my posts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

why Villa Talk has a swear filter

Apparently, it's driven by certain advertisers who wouldn't buy space on a non-children-suitable platform. 

• Haha 3

Â