Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

What happens to the salt and vinegar on fish and chips? I've just been to the chippy and stood there and watched the lovely lady behind the counter pour about a pint of vinegar on, as well as an oceans worth of salt. I get home, plate up, and can't taste a drop, so had to add more......

1 hour ago, Jenko#4 said:

What happens to the salt and vinegar on fish and chips? I've just been to the chippy and stood there and watched the lovely lady behind the counter pour about a pint of vinegar on, as well as an oceans worth of salt. I get home, plate up, and can't taste a drop, so had to add more......

I wonder that, if you put that much on at home it'd be inedible. 

it's rarely vinegar in a chippy, it's usually NBC, non brewed condiment, which they can easily cut down with additional water as they often buy it as a syrup or condensed mix that then gets diluted to taste, so it gets over diluted.

Yeah that's what we used when I worked in a chippy, you dilute it to different mixes, can't remember exactly what it was but we mixed it 8 pints of water to 1 pint, you could easily make that weaker

the other issue is that more vinegar makes it harder to wrap and from my experience there are some shocking wrappers out there so they put as little as they can get away with, if they grab more than 1 piece of paper on the first wrap, 2 if you've got extra vinegar, they're struggling straight away

can honestly say I never paid attention to which went first, a woman I worked with was convinced vinegar first made the salt stick

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

can honestly say I never paid attention to which went first, a woman I worked with was convinced vinegar first made the salt stick

The artisan does salt-vinegar-salt

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

Saw on the news that the world is 40 trillion dollars in debt.

Who is it in debt to?

jane-badler-580x719.jpg

Edit: Serious comment - it's a zero sum game, surely? Didn't they mean that part of the world is 40 trillion dollars in debt to another part of the world?

Edited by snowychap

Â