Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Wish I had the mad skillz of say Jack Bauer or Ethan Hunt, I would take out the idiots of the world like Trump. Anyone who was getting too close to power who clearly shouldn't have any.

BAM! Like a ghost.

Reading about the last three northern white rhinos in existence, I can't help but wonder what it must be like to the last of something*. I wonder if they are aware, in anyway, of the situation. They likely aren't, and I don't know if that is sadder.

*Didn't William Golding write a book along these lines about the last neanderthals? The Inheritors I think. Been meaning to read it for a while now.

1 hour ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

*Didn't William Golding write a book along these lines about the last neanderthals? The Inheritors I think. Been meaning to read it for a while now.

Yes, The Inheritors, I read it a couple of years ago. 

It was a slightly odd experience, in that while I was reading it, I thought it was a bit 'meh'. But I found myself thinking about it for weeks afterwards. A good sign, I think. Go for it. 

I have been wondering about something recently which genuinely worries me and especially how it might impact on my children. 

Artificial intelligence in machines

Not that I am worried about some apocalyptic scenario where they rise up against humans but that they can and most commentators think will replace humans in the workplace

Most commentators say this is a good thing and it will mean humans can move on and do other jobs.....but what? 

We are talking about all jobs from delivery drivers,  most office jobs,  surgeons within the next 20 years they think pretty much every job you can image could be carried out by a robot with artificial intelligence 

Mechanisation has been with us for 200 years now so you might say this is not a new thing. But the difference is that whenever a job was mechanised in the past a new job was created,  some kind of new activity or product or service as the world developed. 

However we are apparently right now on the cusp for the first time in history where more jobs will be mechanised than new jobs are created and once that point has been passed it will accelerate and quickly. 

So the only thing I can see is massive levels of unemployment. So how will humans earn money to live?  It also begs the question who will all these machines be making products and services for if no one has a job to pay for it?

The human race could be facing massive socio economic breakdown.  You will have a few mega rich who control the companies and then masses of poor 

It really worries me because surely this is the logical conclusion if machines can do any conceivable job but no one seems to be talking about it. Just reporting on how cool it will be with all these clever learning machines doing all the jobs

I don't believe this will happen in 20 years or so like they seem to report,  but certainly in 40 years it might be a possibility. My kids might spend the last 10 years of their working lives unable to work and my grandkids might never have a job at all. 

Am I wrong on this because all of the press reports I have seen suggest this is a genuine issue.  If you think I am being a bit ott just Google "machines to replace workers" the stories are all there from reputable sources. 

It reminds me of that line from Jurassic Park "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn 't stop to think if they should" 

• Like 1

We will develop into post-labour nations and labour nations. That is not to say there won't be work at all, but 'human' work will be limited to that which requires a high degree of education. Those without education or with education but no chance of work will probably be forced to migrate to the labour nations in order to make a living. In the end, we'll see an exaggeration of the division we already have, with PL nations becoming even more technologically advanced, atomised, and markedly consumerist; they will likely become vastly urban (many models for UK's growth predict this) and deeply undemocratic. The labour nations will more or less reflect the divisions we have today between secular/religious or right/left but will be highly competitive places to live due to overpopulation and an increasing lack of resources due to climate change and sheer demand. They will however be very multicultural and 'alive' in comparison to the PL nations, which while diverse will be elitist - to be highly educated costs the kind of money only the middle and upper classes have - and constrained by complex codes of behaviour derived from high society values.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I don't believe this will happen in 20 years or so like they seem to report,  but certainly in 40 years it might be a possibility.

I would be quite surprised if it takes two more decades for automation to be a real issue in the developed world especially as we'll still be trying to address any resultant problems of unemployment and underemployment with the same thinking and the same tools that we currently use.

Reading about the last three northern white rhinos in existence, I can't help but wonder what it must be like to the last of something*. I wonder if they are aware, in anyway, of the situation.

I sit there and wonder if in the day in my life when pandas become extinct they'll blame it on humans or just say because pandas are **** stupid

Or will we see something that says rhinos extinct but their horns have been ground down to dust and cured in growing toe nails...

It'll be a sad day

I've got a little more faith in people and society.

If automation and A.I. leads to mass unemployment and real inequality then at some point a couple of cities will burn and then they'll find the young males something to do.

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

I don't believe this will happen in 20 years or so like they seem to report,  but certainly in 40 years it might be a possibility. My kids might spend the last 10 years of their working lives unable to work and my grandkids might never have a job at all. 

Actually, it will happen within 20 years and I can understand your concern for your kids,  but they'll be working for me and I'll take good care of them.  So don't worry.  Can't make any promises about your grandkids, though...

1 hour ago, il_serpente said:

Actually, it will happen within 20 years and I can understand your concern for your kids,  but they'll be working for me and I'll take good care of them.  So don't worry.  Can't make any promises about your grandkids, though...

Phew...  Thank you Dr.Tyrell

On 5/13/2016 at 22:59, HanoiVillan said:

Then surely the answer is 'under no circumstances would I ever get in this time machine'. 

I dunno.

I probably wouldn't risk it.

But what if you went back and invented Facebook or, I dunno, the internet or the television or something and got rich and famous. Some people might go for that.

Sometimes I wonder.If we could arrange a day and a time and all the Villa supporters all over the world thought about it at the same time and on the same day,could we arrange it so that Randy Lerner got hit by lightening or hit by a buss or better still turned into a frog.

I for one would be more than willing to wake up at 3am to take part. 

7 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Why do women need so many pairs of (practically identical) shoes?

And why has nobody ever made a pair of women's shoes that actually fit properly and don't cause agonising pain to the wearer?

It's so the other way round in our house its a bit embarrassing. 

I've got work shoes, smart shoes, running trainers, golf shoes, football trainers, squash pumps, casual pumps, casual trainers, flip flops, boots and boots I wear for gardening.

My girlfriend has work shoes, running trainers and a few slip ons.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

It's so the other way round in our house its a bit embarrassing. 

I've got work shoes, smart shoes, running trainers, golf shoes, football trainers, squash pumps, casual pumps, casual trainers, flip flops, boots and boots I wear for gardening.

My girlfriend has work shoes, running trainers and a few slip ons.

Same.  apart from I just refuse to throw mine because I might need them at some point.

Got boots x 2, trainers x4, running shoes x2 (largely unused :lol:), football boots x1 (got a hole in one now), walking boots x1.

Â