Things you often Wonder

mjmooney

Okay, I've actually wondered about this for quite some time, and haven't been able to find a satisfying answer. As a left hander, I've always wondered when different places around the world stopped "correcting" for left handedness. And then I'm curious about its implications in the military. That is, what came first: did it start being okay to shoot (or stab) left as a result of a societal acceptance of people being left handed, or was it just an issue of people starting to shoot (or stab) left because tactics or technology allowed it?

The Princess Bride is not a valid source for reference.

Edited by JamieZ
  • Like 2

Maybe that created a larger gap and a weak point where two spears were next to each other?

So, instead of like this:                                                 It would have been like this:

///////////////////////\\\                                                           /////////////////////// \\\
///////////////////////\\\                                                           /////////////////////// \\\
Edited by packoman
  • Like 1

Okay, I've actually wondered about this for quite some time, and haven't been able to find a satisfying answer. As a left hander, I've always wondered when different places around the world stopped "correcting" for left handedness. And then I'm curious about its implications in the military. That is, what came first: did it start being okay to shoot (or stab) left as a result of a societal acceptance of people being left handed, or was it just an issue of people starting to shoot (or stab) left because tactics or technology allowed it?

FWIW you don't shoot a certain way because of your dominant hand, you shoot according to your dominant eye. they are often the same but not always. I'm right handed but with a gammy right eye, I shoot left handed because its the better eye. There's a whole very odd brain thing that goes on when I do this, takes some getting used to.

• Like 1

FWIW you don't shoot a certain way because of your dominant hand, you shoot according to your dominant eye. they are often the same but not always. I'm right handed but with a gammy right eye, I shoot left handed because its the better eye. There's a whole very odd brain thing that goes on when I do this, takes some getting used to.

Afaik the nerves cross over in some way before they run down to your arms, so if you're right-handed your left is usually your dominant eye.

• Like 1

You been paintballing with Mario again?

Plus, a lot of people learn to shoot and use melee weapons with both hands and both eyes in case of loss or damage of either an eye or limb.

The formation thing is an interesting one and something I've heard discussed before, I think you've all highlighted strengths and weaknesses of trying that type of formation.

I think a lot of people, not all, tend to use ranged weapons with their dominant eye and use melee weapons with their dominant hand. It's useful to learn how to do both with both though as I say, in case you're carrying both at the same time or they're both on the same side.

Edited by 8pints

As a left hander, I've always wondered when different places around the world stopped "correcting" for left handedness. And then I'm curious about its implications in the military. That is, what came first: did it start being okay to shoot (or stab) left as a result of a societal acceptance of people being left handed, or was it just an issue of people starting to shoot (or stab) left because tactics or technology allowed it?

It used to be the case with the SLR, that the rifle ejects the cartridges to the right, so if you shoot right handed the spent cartridges ejected away from your face, but if you used it left handed, they whizzed across your phizzog, which is most disconcerting, to say the least. Therefore people were trained to shoot right handed.

Anyway it's out of service now, and maybe there are left handed rifles in use now, as well. But for the SLR and before they were all (unless specially made for snipers etc.) essentially right hand use weapons.

• Like 1

Â