Situation vacant... who do you want as the new Villa manager

TrentVilla

Who would you like as our new manager?  

684 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like as our new manager?

• Moyes
    • Jol
    • Hughes
    • Coyle
    • Benitez
    • Lambert
    • Poyet
    • Martinez
    • Ancelotti
    • Deschamps
    • McLaren

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IM sure MON was on about £3 million anyway. And if it is true Ancelotti wants a challenge and wants to stay in England, im sure he realises he wont get £4 million a year.

his 3 year chelsea contract was reportedly a 9 million contract which goes against recent reports of 5 million last season ( unless that included bonuses for winning the league and fa cup ?)

he would be expensive but managers are the most important part of the team. it doesnt guarentee success but gives the best chance of getting it.

Would Ancelotti only staying short term and then leaving for a bigger job really be so bad?

I assume he'd only be offered a top job if he was succeeding with us.

So he'd have done a good job here, so hopefully be leaving the club in a situation which is better than when he joined (timing considered).

We'd probably be paid compensation if another club came in for him.

We wouldn't have to pay him severance if he left.

Am I just beign overly optimistic with what is actually a bad situation?

IM sure MON was on about £3 million anyway. And if it is true Ancelotti wants a challenge and wants to stay in England, im sure he realises he wont get £4 million a year.

his 3 year chelsea contract was reportedly a 9 million contract which goes against recent reports of 5 million last season ( unless that included bonuses for winning the league and fa cup ?)

he would be expensive but managers are the most important part of the team. it doesnt guarentee success but gives the best chance of getting it.

I agree and im sure the board would agree too.

Rumours has it in Italy about Carletto Ancelotti, coming from one of the most reliable sources, fingers crossed then: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23955867-carlo-ancelotti-and-mark-hughes-top-aston-villas-wish-list.do

The London Standard is a reliable source in Italy?

Obviously not, sorry, wrong link.

This is the one I mentioned: http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/calcio/2011/06/02/visualizza_new.html_841578863.html

Why do people think Hughes would be here for the long term? Think about it...

He's been between 4 different jobs in 7 years and we could be the 5th. He would only have lasted 10 months at Fulham despite the fact he has the full backing from the fans over there.

If he finds success with us, you honestly think he'll stick around if a bigger club come calling? Don't forget he would have done it twice already. And if he doesn't find success, well....I doubt a club bigger than us would come knocking and we would be stuck with mediocrity. Big whoop.

Yeah also seems like it's going to be Ancelotti, especially with Kendrick saying so. There hasn't been much he's been wrong about in the past 12 months.

read what Kendrick said closely.

he hasn't said Ancelotti is coming to Villa.

he said Ancelotti MAY be on the SHORTLIST.

As much as a 'sexy' name that Ancelotti is (or Der Gaal for that matter) i'm really not sure it's a good idea.

Both are used to working at successful/huge clubs. And with that comes great players and funds to keep them there. That's their domain. It's what they're used to.

With the best will in the world, that isn't us. And it's never going to be. We can't afford world class players. If either of them came in as Villa manager I could just see them doing what O'Neill did and establish us as top 6 - because we don't have the financial clout to break that ceiling, and neither of them would be loyal enough to do it the old fashioned way by grooming a squad over 5 years or so.

They'd just get bored and look to jump ship as soon as a more glamourous job appeared on the horizon i'm almost certain.

We need a manager that is going to grow with the team. It's the only way we'll ever break the stranglehold. Trust in our youth development, with a few added gems from the Randy transfer pot and work at the long term solution.

For me Moyes is that man. He knows how to work within constraints

We tried the "grow with the team" model, ala Fergie and lesser extent, Wenger, but it didn't work cause the word removed left the club 5 days before season start.

Apparently 5 Live are reporting that Villa have contacted Fulham to tell them Hughes isn't a target!!

The plot thickens... and if true, down the pan goes my £20 bet :evil:

mark-hughes_1368719c.jpg

If that's true I bet he's really pissed.

Personally I'd love it to be Ancelotti, partnered with Butch, but my head says it will be Hughes.

Moyes is an outside bet but unlikely as we need a quick appointment and Everton will play hardball. The rest are also rans IMO.

Rumours has it in Italy about Carletto Ancelotti, coming from one of the most reliable sources, fingers crossed then: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard-sport/football/article-23955867-carlo-ancelotti-and-mark-hughes-top-aston-villas-wish-list.do

This is the one I mentioned: http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubriche/calcio/2011/06/02/visualizza_new.html_841578863.html

Translation

ANSA)-London, 2 June-Carlo Ancelotti and 'the big favorite for the Aston Villa bench after the departure of Gerard Houllier, while Chelsea have finally got the''you''' Guus Hiddink. According to British bookmakers, and the technical Reggiolo 'the candidate' strong to lead the next season, Villas, preferred to Mark Hughes (Fulham) and David Moyes (Everton). Ancelotti would like but 'adequate reinforcements to point to the Champions League, after 9 / or place finish this year in the Premier dall'Aston Villa.

Apparently 5 Live are reporting that Villa have contacted Fulham to tell them Hughes isn't a target!!

McClown could be the next favourite then. :?

Translation

ANSA)-London, 2 June-Carlo Ancelotti and 'the big favorite for the Aston Villa bench after the departure of Gerard Houllier, while Chelsea have finally got the''you''' Guus Hiddink. According to British bookmakers, and the technical Reggiolo 'the candidate' strong to lead the next season, Villas, preferred to Mark Hughes (Fulham) and David Moyes (Everton). Ancelotti would like but 'adequate reinforcements to point to the Champions League, after 9 / or place finish this year in the Premier dall'Aston Villa.

Well that's cleared that up then :)

Yeah also seems like it's going to be Ancelotti, especially with Kendrick saying so. There hasn't been much he's been wrong about in the past 12 months.

read what Kendrick said closely.

he hasn't said Ancelotti is coming to Villa.

he said Ancelotti MAY be on the SHORTLIST.

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/06/02/birmingham-mail-exclusive-carlo-ancelotti-is-the-man-aston-villa-want-to-replace-gerard-houllier-97319-28807143/2/

I have read closely...

I also said it seems to be Ancelotti who we're going after, not that he will certainly come.

Also think that someone like Moyes would be cheaper in terms of wages - but would involve compensation. Surely better to add that likely payment to a bigger salary for Carlo?

McClown could be the next favourite then. :?

Says who? I bet Ancelotti is more likely to be a target than McLaren.

Repeat after me.

They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. They would not be stupid enough to appoint McClaren. Or Curbishley.