dudevillaisnice

Kiddeminster Harriers is a unique name, as is Manchester United, as is Arsenal, as is Bolton Wanderers, as is Middlesbrough..... etc etc.

How can something be 'more' unique?

I'll respond, even though I'm not sure it needs answering.

Ian was clearly responding to the "city" part of the name, i.e. Birmingham CITY. We have a rare name as we don't use city or united or harriers or wanderers. As do Everton.

Obviously every name is unique, and Ian's terminology isn't technically right, but we all know what he meant.

As did you I would imagine...

Edited for pedantry's sake.

Tiresome.

You made a comparison with one of the countries biggest clubs and our piss-poor local rivals. There is no comparison.

Always in the shadow of their rivals.

Where did you say from now on originally? You've merely revised a wholly inaccurate statement with a new element of guesswork.

If you had actually said the above initially, I fail to see how you could possibly know. Unless you have a crystal ball in your possession.

It's just as likely that Laurel and Hardy could run the redscouse into the ground, and Everton could revert to being the biggest club in the city. It was the case before, could easily happen again. On balance, since the formation of both clubs Everton have had a far longer period of being the 'biggest.' Even if they aren't at present.

I'm no closet Evertonian, but it pisses me right off when I see ill-informed opinions about football from the post Sky generation being offered as fact. Nothing personal.

Whats ill informed about you getting the wrong end of the stick?

Not once have I mentioned 'always' the post is written in context of current and future.

And no I have no crystal ball, butI have opinions and common sense.

Kiddeminster Harriers is a unique name, as is Manchester United, as is Arsenal, as is Bolton Wanderers, as is Middlesbrough..... etc etc.

How can something be 'more' unique?

Unique in it's structure.

[Name of town city they are based] [City/United/Rovers/etc..]

ie. Manchester United, Manchester City, Bolton Wanderers.

Whereas we have not only a unique second part to our name, but we also have the region of the city our club started in, rather than the bigger, grander, more attractive abroad city name.

It could so easily be Birmingham City vs Birmingham Rovers. Aston Villa, Everton, Arsenal are unique in that if you asked a foreigner where they were based, alot would not know. (although an educated guess of Aston would be correct, I suppose).

I didn't explain this particularly well. I'm gonna stop typing now.

My point is everyone thinks their club has a 'special' part about their name.

Its either having the name of the city or not - but both cases make your clubs name special?

You could argue our name is more towards the 'franchise' naming convention the Americans use than others in fact, therefore making the make up of it less unique.

My point is everyone thinks their club has a 'special' part about their name.

Its either having the name of the city or not - but both cases make your clubs name special?

You could argue our name is more towards the 'franchise' naming convention the Americans use than others in fact, therefore making the make up of it less unique.

ian should have used the word rare rather than unique.

But most of us just made the assumption.

It's not the name itself, it's more the structure of it I think people are commenting on the uniqueness of. Of course the names themselves are unique, they are made unique to identify them from other teams... but what they are saying about Liverpool is that it could have gone the way of the Manchester teams.. and instead of Liverpool vs Everton you could be watching Liverpool City vs Liverpool Athletic.. or something. Not as unique.

The word 'Everton' does not appear in any other team's name. Therefore it's double the uniqueness of Manchester City. :P

HolteExile, I much prefer Everton as a club, I really respect them and they are a big side BUT, they are definitely not as big as Liverpool, who are, alongside Man Utd, the biggest side in the country.

No one, holteExile, myself or anyone else has said anything different.

Tiresome.

You made a comparison with one of the countries biggest clubs and our piss-poor local rivals. There is no comparison.

Always in the shadow of their rivals.

Where did you say from now on originally? You've merely revised a wholly inaccurate statement with a new element of guesswork.

If you had actually said the above initially, I fail to see how you could possibly know. Unless you have a crystal ball in your possession.

It's just as likely that Laurel and Hardy could run the redscouse into the ground, and Everton could revert to being the biggest club in the city. It was the case before, could easily happen again. On balance, since the formation of both clubs Everton have had a far longer period of being the 'biggest.' Even if they aren't at present.

I'm no closet Evertonian, but it pisses me right off when I see ill-informed opinions about football from the post Sky generation being offered as fact. Nothing personal.

Whats ill informed about you getting the wrong end of the stick?

Not once have I mentioned 'always' the post is written in context of current and future.

And no I have no crystal ball, butI have opinions and common sense.

OK, so you're actually just using words you don't know the meaning of.

Just for your benefit:

Always

Dictionary definitions:

1. every time; on every occasion; without exception: He always works on Saturday.

2. all the time; continuously; uninterruptedly: There is always some pollution in the air.

3. forever: Will you always love me?

4. in any event; at any time; if necessary: She can always move back with her parents.

5. Past, present and future.

Kind of at odds with your 'common sense' endorsement of yourself too. Self praise is no praise and all that.

HolteExile, I much prefer Everton as a club, I really respect them and they are a big side BUT, they are definitely not as big as Liverpool, who are, alongside Man Utd, the biggest side in the country.

Not disputing that old chap, just pointing out it hasn't always (there's that word again ;) ) been the case and could change in the not-too-distant.

Not sure why it irks me to the extent it does, I guess its like when B-lose had their brief revival in 2003 and ill-informed outsiders were trying to suggest they could be the bigger club. Based on a few years underachievement from us.

It's not a like-for-like comparison, I know.

But comparing one of the most succesful sides in England (Everton), to a club who had an open top parade for winning the Leyland **** Daf is laughable.

Â