Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

The main problem I have is since Young and Downing left, we haven't played Darren Bent in the right way - and it worries me.

The way he likes, is through balls, or balls smashed in low into the 6 yard box.

However, going to a few of the pre season friendlies I've noticed we're not playing that way, we seem to hoof it up to Bent and try and get him to run onto the ball - it just doesn't work like that, he doesn't score goals like that. He's not the fastest so its not like he can run onto balls. It's better to just keep it on the ground and thread some through the opposition defence for Benty to beat the offside trap and score. A few goals spring to mind: Arsenal (1-2 win Bent with 2 goals), Everton (2-2 draw Bent with 2 goals).

Catching the defence off guard is what Bent does and if we don't use him properly we might as well sell him.

Ireland is perfectly capable of sliding through defence splitting passes with perfect weight on them for Bent to run on to, he just doesn't seem to be doing it.

Ireland is perfectly capable of sliding through defence splitting passes with perfect weight on them for Bent to run on to, he just doesn't seem to be doing it.

I'm perfectly capable of pleasing Cheryl Cole, but i'm not doing that either

How long is Ireland going to fail to be this creative genius I keep hearing he is before people actually just accept he's not ?

I'm perfectly capable of pleasing Cheryl Cole, but i'm not doing that either

How long is Ireland going to fail to be this creative genius I keep hearing he is before people actually just accept he's not ?

because he showed signs of it under a shit manager last season.

The Chelsea away game he was the best player on the pitch by far.

Stoke at home, he played a sweet 1-2 with Weimann, to set him up for his curler.

He is capable.

Straight swap for Andy Carroll would be a good move for all parties.

No It really wouldn't.

This is a quote from RAWK

Can I ask why you on rawk?.. (which I'm guessing is a Liverpool site)

Because I was doing some research on what Liverpool Fans Really thought of Andy '35m Flop' Carroll.

No It really wouldn't.

Because I was doing some research on what Liverpool Fans Really thought of Andy '35m Flop' Carroll.

Surely this would save some money too? On wages and also we probably still owe performance related fees for Bent?

No It really wouldn't.

And because RAWK is genuinely hilarious at times! :D

Bent would welcome duo - Striker hails 'fantastic' Defoe and Jones

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/8007843/Bent-would-welcome-duo

Competition is always good. We've still got some fantastic strikers at the club. Gabby is injured, Weimann came in did and really well, Nathan Delfouneso looks like he's ready to peak and it's his time.

If the manager decides he wants to bring someone else in as well, it's only going to help Aston Villa football club.

Defoe is a top international striker. He's a great finisher, he can score goals and make goals for himself. He'd be a fantastic addition.

I've played with Kenywyne Jones before and he's a fantastic striker on his day. He's up there with the best of them.

If we can get any of them two as well, it's going to be a welcome addition to the football club. I've played with both as well, that always helps. So I'm sure the manager has got someone in mind.

It (Euro 2012) was hard to watch but I was supporting everyone again. I wanted them to do well in the tournament and it's unfortunate they went out on penalties again but I was watching as a fan and hoping we were going to win.

All I can do now is concentrate on my club form. That's all I can do really. If I score goals for Villa and we play well and win games it's only going to help me get back into that England squad.

Just seen an interesting stat that Bent has scored 20 league goals or more in 5 of the last 6 premier league seasons, what a goal scorer, would be madness selling him and can't believe anybody would consider selling him! We need to build the team for him it's as simple as that, and I'm sure PL knows that!

Just seen an interesting stat that Bent has scored 20 league goals or more in 5 of the last 6 premier league seasons, what a goal scorer, would be madness selling him and can't believe anybody would consider selling him! We need to build the team for him it's as simple as that, and I'm sure PL knows that!

Off the top of my head i can only remember him scoring 20 or more league once and that was his first season for sunderland, might be wrong though. Anyways Bent won't be sold because no one will pay the price we would ask for him IMO

Just saw him on SSN saying he wants to stay for a long time. If he keeps getting service like Saturday and things dont improve it could be a different story. He must be as disappointed as we are at the lack of transfer activity

I do honestly think this is Lambert's' biggest concern at the moment, finding someone (Maybe two players) with presence and cutting edge to play close to Bent and link with him successfully, giving him service, taking attention away, sharing the work-load etc.

The way we set up on Sat could and should be just as effective as 2 wingers banging in crosses all day, in fact more effective as Bent isn't prolific in the air.

But the tactics are still filtering through and it's not there just yet. I'm imagining a forward 3 of Gabby, Bent and N'zog with Ireland pulling the strings, and in theory that should work.

Sat was step 1 - get used to keeping the ball we now need to instill the confidence to make the movements and passes that get the attacking players into the right positions and move the opposition defence out of position to give Bent the time and space to score.

I think he still needs someone behind him to distract defenders and create space, this is the biggest thing we're missing at the moment, he'll always score goals because he knows how to do it in every way that's possible.

--------------------------------Bent--------------------------

Holman----(He just needs a link in this area)---N'Zogbia

-----------------------Ireland-------El Ahmadi---------------

I think he still needs someone behind him to distract defenders and create space, this is the biggest thing we're missing at the moment, he'll always score goals because he knows how to do it in every way that's possible.

Can't Ireland be that link and we play someone else in the DM position?

I just can't see us buying someone in that position atm, and thats considering us playing 4-5-1. If we're looking for another striker, we'd be playing 4-4-2 with Bent and his partner up front.

Can't Ireland be that link and we play someone else in the DM position?

I just can't see us buying someone in that position atm, and thats considering us playing 4-5-1. If we're looking for another striker, we'd be playing 4-4-2 with Bent and his partner up front.

Me personally, I don't see Ireland in that position. I don't think he's effective there, his impulse always seems to be to pass and not shoot and I'd like someone there who is more willing to shoot.

Again, just my opinion, but I don't think he likes playing there, it seems to be he prefers having the freedom to play all over the pitch linking the play with intelligent passes he just needs people to make intelligent runs.

I see why he's played there, because he's clever, but for me, if he played there, he'd only try and pass it to Bent and that could become predictable.

I think another player is needed there, someone who is a bit of a 'bully' if you know what I mean? Someone who is more willing to shoot and wind defenders up, unnerve them, than Ireland is.

I also think he's a better tackler than he's given credit for and also, due to his intelligence, he reads the game and can intercept a lot of opposition's' passing further down the field.

Â