Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

i was reading an article in the paper today about comparisons between demba ba and andy carrol as they are playing tonight. it had a list of stats for each player and an interesting one to me was chance conversion, given ive seen a lot of "bent needs 10 chances to score and misses loads of sitters" comments around.

had a quick look around the web and found eplindex.com which had a striker comparison for arsenal, liverpool, man u, man city, spurs and newcastle players. a few examples of chance conversion-

RVP - 26%

Drogba and Anelka - 7% and 8% respectively

Suarez - 7%

aguero, dzeko and balotelli - 25%, 28% and 28%

rooney - 22%

ba- 32%

adebayor-16%

the article these came from was posted on the 28th december, so i assume they are up to date and the stats come from OPTA.

Bent wasnt on the list, but i did find some stats for his season up to the 7th november. his chance conversion at that point in the season was 28%, and his shooting accuracy was 56%. now obviously it could have changed since then (the 2 chances he missed against bolton would have an affect), but given he has missed 3 games since then and other games played have included spurs and man u where we created absolutely nothing i dont think it would be massively different.

yet bent only has 5 goals compared to the much larger totals of other players. pretty obvious to me that the problem isnt bents finishing, just that we create nowhere enough chances. i reckon if he had scored every chance he has had this season he still would still only just be in double figures.

imo its another piece of damning evidence against mcleish and his pathetic style of football, and his inability to utilise quality players.

not that i disagree with your point, and i do appreciate your research. But your saying that bent converts 28% (roughly 1 in 4) and he has 5 goals so some very simple math would suggest that if he converted all of his chances that he would have about 20 goals at this point rather than "barely in double figure". Sorry for being a pedant!

A guy who I work with - who has been a liverpool supporter all his life - and seems to have one or to contacts within the club reckons that although liverpool have an eye on Bent - he is far from the number one striker target this winter. An overseas striker is far more likley.

He also said that Dalglish has completley lost patience with Carroll - not so much his lack of goals - but he just isnt the dedicated pro - poor trainer - poor fitness etc.

If they do come in with a reasonable offer - I still see him going.

You can't help yourself can you. I don't care if it comes true or it doesn't but you're constantly coming out with things you've heard which turn out to be complete bollocks.

Amazing how many people you know how contacts, more likely they read a couple of rumours off football-rumours.com and people are gullible enough to believe it.

He also said that Dalglish has completley lost patience with Carroll - not so much his lack of goals - but he just isnt the dedicated pro - poor trainer - poor fitness etc.

Even though Dalglish has gone overboard time after time inc this past week saying the press are making up all that nonsense ?

I have a sneaking suspician that if we are to sell Bent then at the present time he might very well go to Liverpool.

Liverpool are creating loads of chances but don't have the poacher to finish them off. Liverpool play the type of game to suit Bent and have a striker on their books at the moment who doesn't, or cannot fit into their way of playing.

I just wonder if Kenny came in for Bent could we then agree to sell on the basis that Carrol comes to us for the rest of the season with a view to buy?

Caroll would be the target man we are badly missing if AM wants to play hoofball?

Wouldn't want Carrol anywhere near this club for three reasons:

1. It would not be a view to a perm deal as they will not be getting rid of him just one year after buying him for 35M. The loss would not be acceptable for them at this stage. So I would not want him getting game time with us to possibly improve and go back there a better player. If he didn't improve why would we want him anyway

2. After the part he played in Downing going to plop I honestly hope he rots as a footballer now

3. He is shite

Have to disagree 'Richard.'

He is certainly not 'shite.' He just doesn't fit into the way Liverpool play at the moment. Did you note how much his performance improved when Gerrard came on last night and supplied him with the right service against Newcastle even though he missed those chances? Once he restores his confidence in a team that plays to his strengths then he will start scoring again on a regular basis. I happen to think that a Carroll Gabby partnership would complement each other very well.

I would love to see him play for us if Bent went the other way as he would get the correct service from N'Zogbia and Albrighton and indeed Hoilett if we purchased him.

Not in the team today. He might as well have a florescent 'for sale' sign round his neck

Or an "i'm not fully fit stop **** speculating" sign

Lol lets hope your right.

I didn't realise he was on the bench. That hopefully means your right - lot of fuss about nothing :|

Sorry PB but should we have demonstrated such passive acceptance of , for example, Ellis being Chairman. Should we have just said then that he was the man running the club and was not going anywhere anytime soon? That the club would sink or swim with him and that he should hope he would be successful? Or perhaps when Mcneill became manager we should have accepted that, or during the reign of Odreary perhaps we should have just sat back and accepted that as well?

if we are going to go around binning managers after less than 20 games then we might as well have Doug back in charge. Step away from the short term 'next result' mentality, and unite behind something. Even at the height of the anti Ellis thing, we ALWAYS, all of us, 100% backed the manager and the team. We are, after all, Villa fans.

If he is fit enough to be on the bench he is fit enough to be in the team.

Bye Daren

Its posts like this that makes me think you do post for effect. Being match fit to play 80to 90 mins is totally different to playing 10 minutes at the end.

Â