Darren Bent

juanpabloangel18

He's a striker who has always been a confidence player. He has had that knocked out of him by the way Lambert treated him, it will take some time for him to get back up to speed.

No offence to you intended but I'm so so tired of reading this sort of thing, the 'way Lambert treated him' seriously how exactly was he treated by Lambert? Because I'd argue he was treated as a professional footballer nothing more and nothing less.

When Lambert arrived he made him captain and picked him but he didn't really perform and yes in part that was because we no longer had the wingers who's service he previously thrived on. But Lambert didn't sell them so it wasn't Lambert that cut that supply line.

Neither did Lambert have the budget to go and buy wingers of the quality of those that left. Under O'Neill and those who followed him before Lambert we had some excellent wingers but we sold them and we simply can't afford players like Young, Milner and Downing these days.

But even back then our 442 system with wingers had some issues so if we were to go and buy cheaper wingers it would be even more flawed. Next to nobody is playing 442 with wingers these days, the game has changed and as a result a poacher like Bent is always going to have to adapt or find themselves vulnerable.

Anyway, I digress. That is more about how the game has changed and moved away from Bent than how Bent has been treated by Lambert.

So Lambert initially picked Bent, in fact he even made him captain but following the signing of Benteke decided the two couldn't play together and that he wanted to go with more of a 451 formation. In such a formation Benteke was the better choice, I'm not sure anyone would disagree,

Over the course of that season Bent found himself out of the team as Benteke found his feet and the net with increasing regularity. Meanwhile Bent struggled with form and fitness due to injuries. Yes at times he was behind other players, lesser players in terms of the squad but that was due to Bent's inflexibility as a player.

Last summer Bent was on the fringe of the side and seemingly eager to get more football so Lambert loaned him to Fulham and said he thought it unlikely that he would return. Only Bent had a stinker of a season, Fulham went down and he is back here.

So with Bent back at B6 Lambert has brought him back into the squad, picked him in pre-season, given him game time once the season started including a start the other night.

So I'm really struggling here to comprehend just what it is that Lambert has done that is so unfair to Bent, that is anything other than the actions of a professional football manager doing his job and managing a club employee.

I'm sick and tired of excuse after excuse being made for Bent.

His form and fitness haven't been good enough, he looks every bit like a player that has got his 100 PL goals and reached the end of his international career and is now coasting on large wages to retirement.

Irrespective of if people agree with that or not, I find it almost impossible to comprehend this notion that he is in some way a victim, that he has been badly treated. If he is a victim of anything he is a victim of Lerner's coast cutting due to the sale of players before Lambert's arrival and a victim of his age and loss of his own ambition and drive.

one word for you Jordan Bowery

You might want to count again.

And yes I'm aware of Bowery which is why I said the below, I just don't see that giving a young player a chance is evidence of Bent being treated badly.

Yes at times he was behind other players, lesser players in terms of the squad but that was due to Bent's inflexibility as a player.

Gabby misses an absolute sitter against Stoke - no problem

Bent pulls a great save against Orient and pulls a tight angled shot wide against Hull and he's shit

That's the Villa logic

Agree, while Gabby has drawn criticism it's seemed nowhere near as vehement as that aimed at Bent.

Bent pulls a great save against Orient and pulls a tight angled shot wide against Hull and he's shit

That's the Villa logic

Agree, while Gabby has drawn criticism it's seemed nowhere near as vehement as that aimed at Bent.

You might want to read the thread too to be fair. 

That's the Villa logic

Agree, while Gabby has drawn criticism it's seemed nowhere near as vehement as that aimed at Bent

I have.

That's the Villa logic

Agree, while Gabby has drawn criticism it's seemed nowhere near as vehement as that aimed at Bent

I have.

And you still think the same?

As of late Gabby has had loads of stick. Bent simply doesn't do enough to be in the starting 11, when Kozak and Benteke are back I don't think he will be good enough to be in the match day squad. 

Really don't rate him as a footballer, the modern striker has to do more than goal hang.... 

Edited by PieFacE

I'm not going to vilify the guy for missing a big chance, it happens.

I also think he's a useful player to have coming off the bench his strikers instinct is still there and he'll score us an important goal or two yet of that I'm sure.

That all said I completely agree that he looks a player who has lost his motivation for the game. I struggle to see how a professional athlete can be in the shape he's in right now.

Last summer Bent was on the fringe of the side and seemingly eager to get more football so Lambert loaned him to Fulham and said he thought it unlikely that he would return.

That's a bit of an assumption that he moved because bent was eager. It could also be the case that as part of the bomb squad Lambert told him he had no place in the team and would be training with the kids like the other members.

I'd also say the stick gabby got is a lot less. I'm not saying gabby should get stick by the way. There's an awful lot of hatred towards bent and I'm not sure its deserved.

Edited by DCJonah

Last summer Bent was on the fringe of the side and seemingly eager to get more football so Lambert loaned him to Fulham and said he thought it unlikely that he would return.

That's a bit of an assumption that he moved because bent was eager. It could also be the case that as part of the bomb squad Lambert told him he had no place in the team and would be training with the kids like the other members.

I'd also say the stick gabby got is a lot less. I'm not saying gabby should get stick by the way. There's an awful lot of hatred towards bent and I'm not sure its deserved.

No assumption. If Lambert did say that to Bent then Bent seemingly was eager to get more football so went on loan.

But I don't see Lambert saying to Bent that he isn't going to get much/any first team action is in anyway treating him badly, as I said he is a professional footballer being treated as such.

That's the Villa logic

I have.

And you still think the same?

Yes, hence why I said it.

Criticism of Gabby seems a lot more level headed as a whole; theories to why he hasn't been effective, not good enough for first team but would keep him on lower wages etc.

While the criticism of Bent is almost childlike bitterness; He's fat. And shit.

• Like 1

Bent needs to be playing all the time to get any sort of sharpness. He doesn't deserve to be featuring much so hopefully some desperate club take him in January (or tomorrow :rolleyes:).

No assumption. If Lambert did say that to Bent then Bent seemingly was eager to get more football so went on loan.

But I don't see Lambert saying to Bent that he isn't going to get much/any first team action is in anyway treating him badly, as I said he is a professional footballer being treated as such.

I personally feel the bomb squad was not treating professional football players in the right way. Now that's not all on Lambert but I wouldn't condone any club doing that.

He's a striker who has always been a confidence player. He has had that knocked out of him by the way Lambert treated him, it will take some time for him to get back up to speed.

No offence to you intended but I'm so so tired of reading this sort of thing, the 'way Lambert treated him' seriously how exactly was he treated by Lambert? Because I'd argue he was treated as a professional footballer nothing more and nothing less.

When Lambert arrived he made him captain and picked him but he didn't really perform and yes in part that was because we no longer had the wingers who's service he previously thrived on. But Lambert didn't sell them so it wasn't Lambert that cut that supply line.

Neither did Lambert have the budget to go and buy wingers of the quality of those that left. Under O'Neill and those who followed him before Lambert we had some excellent wingers but we sold them and we simply can't afford players like Young, Milner and Downing these days.

But even back then our 442 system with wingers had some issues so if we were to go and buy cheaper wingers it would be even more flawed. Next to nobody is playing 442 with wingers these days, the game has changed and as a result a poacher like Bent is always going to have to adapt or find themselves vulnerable.

Anyway, I digress. That is more about how the game has changed and moved away from Bent than how Bent has been treated by Lambert.

So Lambert initially picked Bent, in fact he even made him captain but following the signing of Benteke decided the two couldn't play together and that he wanted to go with more of a 451 formation. In such a formation Benteke was the better choice, I'm not sure anyone would disagree,

Over the course of that season Bent found himself out of the team as Benteke found his feet and the net with increasing regularity. Meanwhile Bent struggled with form and fitness due to injuries. Yes at times he was behind other players, lesser players in terms of the squad but that was due to Bent's inflexibility as a player.

Last summer Bent was on the fringe of the side and seemingly eager to get more football so Lambert loaned him to Fulham and said he thought it unlikely that he would return. Only Bent had a stinker of a season, Fulham went down and he is back here.

So with Bent back at B6 Lambert has brought him back into the squad, picked him in pre-season, given him game time once the season started including a start the other night.

So I'm really struggling here to comprehend just what it is that Lambert has done that is so unfair to Bent, that is anything other than the actions of a professional football manager doing his job and managing a club employee.

I'm sick and tired of excuse after excuse being made for Bent.

His form and fitness haven't been good enough, he looks every bit like a player that has got his 100 PL goals and reached the end of his international career and is now coasting on large wages to retirement.

Irrespective of if people agree with that or not, I find it almost impossible to comprehend this notion that he is in some way a victim, that he has been badly treated. If he is a victim of anything he is a victim of Lerner's coast cutting due to the sale of players before Lambert's arrival and a victim of his age and loss of his own ambition and drive.

It was either Lambert's policy, or one he bought in to, to marginalise all the high earners. He has done this with a number of players, Bent included.

Bent was told he just wouldn't play - so sought game time at, first Newcastle and when no one else came in for him, went to Fulham at the end of the window, as he had been told he'd be nowhere near a match day squad.

We could question this chain of events, but being as any man and his dog (Bowery) were picked ahead of him frequently at the end of Lambert's first season - I know where partial blame lies.

Well, I for one have seen Gabby getting much criticism that hasn' been vry level headed, hence my question.

Bent isn't fat, but he doesn't look fit enough to be a striker in the PL. And you could see that from some of his runs today. He mostly looked like treading water. I don't blame him that much for the finish, but it didn't help him as he didn't show much else to prove himself. I wouldn't call it childlike bitterness, just people being a bit tired of seeing our highest player not looking after himself and not looking like he cares, really. And a wasted talent. But each to their own.

In fact - The way Given, Hutton, N'Zogbia and Bent were treated was not as a professional footballer.

They had something to add a squad which really struggled last year, but Lambert had made his bed by giving them squad numbers in the 30's. A very public embarrassment.

Not a way to treat someone in any line of work.

• Like 1

Wait, wait.

Why is it okay to slag off players over and over again who aren't even playing badly (Westwood this year, Vlaar last year) but when a player is so clearly over the hill (Bent) the same people are defending him.

Any reason to have a go at Lambert really.

• Like 2

Wait, wait.

Why is it okay to slag off players over and over again who aren't even playing badly (Westwood this year, Vlaar last year) but when a player is so clearly over the hill (Bent) the same people are defending him.

Any reason to have a go at Lambert really.

I haven't slated any of the players.

Â