New kits

villa4europe

It'd be cool if it was marketed as a retro one-off, but IMO Forest should have a proper old fashioned crest, not that thing.

Can't agree at all.  Forest are one of the few clubs who haven't changed their crest since they introduced it (mid 70s) other than adding the two stars for their European cup wins and having the occasional season where the crest is mounted on a shield or something.  It's one of the nicest crests in English football. 

I've always liked some of the Adidas designs too.  I'd like to see Villa go there one day just to have blue sleeves with three claret stripes on them.  It's a shame about all the bullshit which now means Adidas can't have stripes which run the full length of the sleeve though. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1

It's a shame about all the bullshit which now means Adidas can't have stripes which run the full length of the sleeve though. 

It's their own fault*

*allegedly.

What's the skinny on this then chaps?

NV will know more than me so apologies if I cock this story up, but as you are probably aware there are fairly strict rules on the maximum size sponsorship logos are allowed to be in the Premier League (guidelines - pdf) and Adidas's three stripes all the way down the length of a long sleeved shirt had always exceeded those guidelines but they had always gotten away with it because it was considered a 'design feature' rather than a corporate logo. 

I can't remember who it was now, but a rival kit manufacturer started running a similar detail down the sleeve of their shirts and Adidas complained for breach of their trademark, only of course this is them wanting their cake and eating it because the only reason they were allowed to have three stripes down the full length of a sleeve in the first place is because it was a 'design feature' rather than any trademark they could protect with litigation. If they went to court about it then they can't really win because they are just highlighting to the world that their current arrangement is skating on very thin ice.   They went to court anyway, presumably because they felt not challenging this sleeve thing would hurt them more in the long run and now they can't have the full length stripes on the sleeves because they have had to formally acknowledge that the stripes were indeed a corporate logo.  

It wouldn't surprise me if the rival manufacturers did what they did in the first place simply to provoke Adidas into a response which would cost them part of their identity. It's a shame really, I liked the stripes. 

• Like 1

It's still a design feature - the rules now say that any brand can use their trademark or multiples thereof in a pre-determined area down the side of the shirt and / or sleeve, up to a specific width (can't remember, may be 5cm or something).

Rumour has it (and it is very much just a rumour) that when one of adidas' rivals launched a kit with no sleeves it beat adidas to the chase as they were rumoured to be working on the same idea.  The rumour was that adidas leveraged their relationship with FIFA to help block their rivals' new design.  As the sleeveless design wasn't against any rules new rules had to be created that determined a need for sleeves.

It's conceivable that if these rumours are true (which they're certainly not, they're just elaborate rumours) then the requirement to add competition logos to a sleeve came back to bite adidas on the bum as the rules stipulated that you needed to leave a clear space of a pre-defined size to fit the tournament logo and FIFA Fair Play badge too.

All just rumours though.

• Like 1

It's one of the nicest crests in English football. 

But it's not even a crest. It's a logo. I like to think of traditional English clubs having nice proper old fashioned crests, not logos.