Was buying Downing over Adam Johnson the right decision?

paddy

Buying Downing was ...  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Buying Downing was ...

• the right decision
    • the wrong decision

I realise it's not as simple as just taking one or the other and there's so many factors to takeinto account but ever since we were first linked with Downing I thought we should go for Johnson instead. But over this season I've totally changed my mind. Johnson has been alright an would do nicely in our team but I think Downing's been superb and is the better option. He's really shown his quality and watching Johnson today, even though he scored he just didn't offer as much as Downing does.

So on a basic level was it the right decision? I say yes.

If a mod could add a poll that'd be good.

Good question Paddy. I'd say yes. It obviously took Downing time to get over his injury but now he's flying and back in the England squad. I remember Capello saying that Downing was the one single player who had really impressed him. Downing looks sharp, creative and has said good things about the club recently. I hope he stays.

Not sure the opportunity to buy Johnson ever arose, or would have arisen...

But in any case, I agree with the arguments put so far that Downing was a good buy. He is starting to show some real leadership in our hour of need. I think he is more mature than Johnson and can offer a club more on and off the pitch.

Doesn't this thread come up every 3/4 months?

but anyway, I like both players and I think both are very different. Johnson I suspect will become the better player (just) but I really like Downing and wouldn't swap him at the moment anyway.

As said though, different players and I think both could play in the same team.

Everyone knows the opportunity to buy Johnson never came along, but both were Boro wingers at the same time. There are a lot of comparisons to be made between the two. I think the OP is just asking whether people on here would prefer Downing or Johnson in our squad.

Downing for me every time. Johnson is good but to me he's not much more than a super-sub.

I've said Downing all along. I just think Johnson is overrated, he has moments of top quality but as the OP says he doesn't offer enough, well consistently that is.

Not that I think Johnson is a bad player just that I think Downing is better and was better then him at his age.

It does, and given that Stu is playing well this season and Johnson not so much (okay, he scored today) then I guess we are pro Downing at the moment.

It does, and given that Stu is playing well at the moment and Johnson not so much (okay, he scored today) then I guess we are pro Downing at the moment.

We've been pro Downing all season haven't we? Best player of the season for me (not saying much), but he's also come out a couple of times and said what needs to be said (e.g. players need to stand up and be counted). I have no idea why Young is captain over him.

I thought Downing's strength (over Johnson) was that he was more of a footballer, and would be able to evolve as a footballer, play in different positions. Not just on the wings but from the centre and use his footwork to dictate a game. But it turns out he's a bit of a pussy when it comes to putting his foot in where it matters. If we could go back 24 months in time, and we had got Johnosn, we could have moved milner into the centre earlier and last season would have been quite different, an extra few points very different.

Downing has worked hard to get himself back in the fans favour and, for me, he's easily been our best player of the season. I'd be more concerned about him leaving than Young anyway.

Johnson needs playing time and would get it here when Ash goes in the summer. I'd definitely buy him.

Johnson is a good player but to me he's more of a impact player in the sense that he can create chances and has moments where he's very good. He's a bit like Marc Albrighton, although Johnson is streets ahead of him at the moment.

Downing can create chances and have impact moments but to me he is the better footballer. I also think Downing can play well into his late thirties because his game isn't built on pace alone (though he is very quick), like many wingers. With time I think he'll move into a more central position where he can have an even more impact on the game itself.

So if I had to choose from the two, I would definitely choose Downing.

It seems that Downing has been on the scene for ages and has always been considered an excellent footballer. Johnson will most probably out score downing and does score some good goals, but his general football isn't so good. Downing is by far the better footballer. And he's ours so, happy days.

Probably about equal to be honest.

Johnson was playing better in the first part of the season, Downing's playing better now (Johnson's been injured.)

I do think that Johnson is much better at playing on the right as I think Downing doesn't really like to go on the outside on his right foot.

Don't write off Johnson though just because he doesn't play for Villa. He is probably as good as Downing and he is younger.

Â