Was buying Downing over Adam Johnson the right decision?

paddy

Buying Downing was ...  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Buying Downing was ...

• the right decision
    • the wrong decision

In fairness Johnson wasn't really known as being as good as he is now before we signed Downing.

It was the 6 months without Downing in the championship where he shone and got his move.

Downing is probably gone this summer. I have heard from 3 people who know more than any of us at VT that he probably won't be here next season.

Me too. But that can be changed with an energetic, ambitious manager at the helm.......hopefully :lol:

I don't see how a change of manager would change anything. Downing's been GH's best performer by far.

It's a shame. I was at the Everton match thinking "wow, he is so freaking good." Maybe the bosses will see that if they don't bring in a new big name manager, MULTIPLE top players at the club will be gone. I'm not a huge GH hater, but it seems like even the players who are getting playing time dislike him and think he's clueless.

Downing is probably gone this summer. I have heard from 3 people who know more than any of us at VT that he probably won't be here next season.

Me too. But that can be changed with an energetic, ambitious manager at the helm.......hopefully :lol:

I don't see how a change of manager would change anything. Downing's been GH's best performer by far.

Im getting pretty convinced you are Ged's love child :lol:

How pathetic. I'm not even defending him - just pointing out that Downing has been Houllier's best performer this season so in Downing's case maybe a change of manager wont make a difference. :|

How pathetic. I'm not even defending him - just pointing out that Downing has been Houllier's best performer this season so in Downing's case maybe a change of manager wont make a difference. :|

Now, now.....calm down. Lets not get all touchy and upset over silly little me trying to be light hearted! :lol:

Maybe it won't. And I agree, Downing is POTY. But most of the squad thinks GH knows sweet fa (I love incorporating newly learned English slang hehe) about strategy, coaching etc. Right or wrong, the squad blames GH for the current situation and hope he'll be gone---not just the benchwarmers either. Most of the squad.

Maybe it won't. And I agree, Downing is POTY. But most of the squad thinks GH knows sweet fa (I love incorporating newly learned English slang hehe) about strategy, coaching etc. Right or wrong, the squad blames GH for the current situation and hope he'll be gone---not just the benchwarmers either. Most of the squad.

Well, be all accounts, hes never outside his office. Must piss in the corner bin.

Your English is better than mine 8)

Well, be all accounts, hes never outside his office. Must piss in the corner bin.

Your English is better than mine 8)

I meant English as in from England hehe, the slang. We don't say sweet fa on the other side of the pond.

Downing will probably have no shortage of admirers but we would command a decent fee for him given his performances this year.

I hope and think that we will hold onto him.

Downing's quotes (Sky Sports website over two articles):

"we've got no problem with the manager."

"We all want to win, the players are all behind the manager and I don't see any problem."

"I have not even thought about leaving at any time. A lot faith went in to me.

"The club paid a lot of money for me when I was injured and it was a serious injury.

"I want to repay that faith and so do a lot of the other players as well.

Doesn't sound like a man who wants out tbf.

I read those articles and hope he meant what he said. If i've learned anything this year, it's don't believe what players say to the press. Or at least take it all with a grain of salt. What exactly could Downing say there when asked these questions? "We think GH has no frigging clue, but just hope he doesn't get us relegated?" I told his father towards the end of the match, "Your son is having an amazing season, I hope he stays...etc" He told me "we´ll see." That gave me a really negative vibe about whether he'd stay or not. I also have 2 other sources, that I won't mention on here, who are more pessimistic than that re Downing staying.

Weirdly i've heard from the one man who knows best, Downing himself last week saying he's VERY happy here and is staying

Â