Was buying Downing over Adam Johnson the right decision?

paddy

Buying Downing was ...  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Buying Downing was ...

• the right decision
    • the wrong decision

Thats a great idea 'barry'sboots' but would Ash go to citeh instead of Man U and would Johnson come to us after the season we have just had?

Don't know but won't find out if we don't try.

- Ash wants CL/big club and Citeh will probably get that. They will pay as much/more than anyone else. They will be bringing in players in the summer to me that their squad should improve. I believe Ash has the confidence to back himself in this scenario to get game time.

- Johnson knows he would play at VP and be a big fish and a decent Premier League team (assuming we stay up!). He has been criticised in the past by Mancini. He knows moving to Villa won't harm his England chances. He knows that Citeh will look to strengthen in the summer and that will, potentially, push him further down the pile.

Not an impossible scenario and exciting for us if we went into the new season with Johnson, DJ and Albie as our wide options.

Downing is a fantastic player - really glad we gothim. But at the time we bought him we played him right wing (which admittedly he has excelled in this year) - but without an overlapping fullback i.e. young or (walker this season) he was rendered pretty much innefective by having Cuellar behind him.

So although I've voted him as the right signing - at the time he was the wrong signing as he was more adept at playing left wing / or playing right wing with an overlapping fullback. He was largely gash last year - but that was due to MON playing him out of position and not helping him by playing an overlapping player. This at the time Johnson would've been a better fit at that point - as he although he's also left footed he plays from the right.

I don't buy al lthe 'needs a pre-seasonm - he just needed to be played to his strengths - as has been evidenced by his performances this season.

Also I disagree that we couldn't have signed Johnson - why not? We took their most prized possesion Downing so could've taken Johnson instead had we wanted.

As young doesn't want to be here - I'd let him go and would quite like Johnson in to compete alongside Downing and Albrighton - whethr Man City would sell is a different matter.

Thats a great idea 'barry'sboots' but would Ash go to citeh instead of Man U and would Johnson come to us after the season we have just had?

Don't know but won't find out if we don't try.

- Ash wants CL/big club and Citeh will probably get that. They will pay as much/more than anyone else. They will be bringing in players in the summer to me that their squad should improve. I believe Ash has the confidence to back himself in this scenario to get game time.

- Johnson knows he would play at VP and be a big fish and a decent Premier League team (assuming we stay up!). He has been criticised in the past by Mancini. He knows moving to Villa won't harm his England chances. He knows that Citeh will look to strengthen in the summer and that will, potentially, push him further down the pile.

Not an impossible scenario and exciting for us if we went into the new season with Johnson, DJ and Albie as our wide options.

Agree totally - I seem to agree with you quite a lot barrys boots - I can assure you (at this moment in time) it's purely platonic, as for the future.... ?

:P:lol::lol:

• 3 months later...
I read those articles and hope he meant what he said. If i've learned anything this year, it's don't believe what players say to the press. Or at least take it all with a grain of salt. What exactly could Downing say there when asked these questions? "We think GH has no frigging clue, but just hope he doesn't get us relegated?" I told his father towards the end of the match, "Your son is having an amazing season, I hope he stays...etc" He told me "we´ll see." That gave me a really negative vibe about whether he'd stay or not. I also have 2 other sources, that I won't mention on here, who are more pessimistic than that re Downing staying.

So from 30 seconds after the Everton away match I knew Downing wanted out...

Â