Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Can you see Moyes achieving CL with Villa?

I can't see anyone achieving it for a good while tbh. That boat has sailed. It sailed when wages needed trimming. We simply cannot compete financially with any of the to 5 or 6 now.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see anyone achieving it for a good while tbh. That boat has sailed. It sailed when wages needed trimming. We simply cannot compete financially with any of the to 5 or 6 now.

I have to agree with this, the only way we will get it IMHO is if we get an owner like Man Shity. I think Randy is a good owner but he doesn't have 100 million to splash out in one transfer window and on wages.

Out of curiosity, what is our wage bill compared to Arsenal?

Out of curiosity, what is our wage bill compared to Arsenal?

Arsenals is 120m according to this

Ours is about 80??

Can you see Moyes achieving CL with Villa? I'm not sure even with the financial backing.. it is becoming harder every year to get CL places and I don't feel we will achieve top 4 with Moyes but I'd still have him here as he can probably guide us through europe places.. that's if Houllier leaves otherwise I'd keep Houllier (imo).

No I don't think Moyes would get us CL, but I also don't think Houllier can or many of the other candidates like Jol or Coyle could.

I think our chance of CL has all but gone and the only way we are going to get it is if some crazy rich oil baron takes over and even then it would be a hard task. I think best we can do is compete up at the top and try to win cups

Wage bill isn't the all important issue it is INCOME. Spuds and Arse are in London and can charge London prices and still fill out....we have to have £10 tickets just to get about 38,000 - we can't compete end of!

Agree with this, but for now i'll hope that those 6 will cancel each other out and we'll find that you don't need 70+ points to be 4th leaving us with an outside chance if we can keep injury free and get some lucky results.

I really don't see the fascination with Spurs! They have finished above Villa four times in something like 20 years. Yes, they are in a purple patch right now, but drop out of the top six just once and they go back to being the underachievers they really are. Once fuckface leaves them, they'll drop down the league again. Spurs are no bigger than West Ham. Villa are a sleeping giant. Someone, the right man, could wake us again.

"Sleeping giant" means nothing. So what we used to be massive. It doesn't give us the right to be big again.

In the same way the fact that Spurs previously being rather mediocre means nothing, it doesn't mean they'll eventually go back to being pretty average.

Man city as well, sure they've historically been pretty damn crap, but that doesn't say in the future they'll return to being crap, or that they have to play out the rest of their existence being crap.

No one has a place they should be based on their history. The fact is that at the moment Spurs and Man City are far more likely to finish above us, and are far more likely to win things. We can sit here going "sleeping giants" all we like, but the fact remains that no one outside of Villa Park cares about that. People care about the CURRENT league table, the CURRENT situation.

All any team needs is "the right man" to come in and they could do things, but if it happens it's got nothing to do with how big a club was in the past and everything to do with how well it's being run at the moment.

We need to stop dwelling on history and saying "we should be up there" because we have no more right to be up there than Spurs or anyone else, to get up there we have to earn it in the present day, and that's what Spurs are doing at the moment, which is why they always get bought up, they're doing what we want to do.

This. Jesus are we becoming Liverpool fans. History history history :?

Is that the Liverpool who are currently 6th?

If we go by the same line of thinking as you have both put on the table. Arsenal are shit, they haven't won anything for years. Arsene Wenger is a poor Manager because anything he has won is in the past. Everton are also crap. They haven't won anything for years and have a Manager who has win pretty much **** all worth mentioning. Liverpool must surely be the same as well? We will agree to disagree.

Let me be very clear for the people who suddenly think that Villa are shit because we haven't won anything since 1996, no, I don't count the Intertoto. Aston Villa remain one of the biggest clubs in British football. With the right man in charge, we can climb the table and hopefully fight for a european place year on year. Our history is a proud one, but will not neccesarily get us anywhere with attracting a new Manager. Whilst we all live in the here and now, I would like to think that we can still bring in a Manager who will see Villa for what they are: an enormous club with huge potential.

and within next two years we have QPR to add to the 5 or 6 that have the money to get into top 6/7 year in/out.

while not impossible i don`t think any manager we can get will realistically get us into champs league.

I would Just like us to play attacking football where even if we lost 4-3 we had seen a great game, we have great attack minded players but we don`t see it and have no idea why. We seen a glimps of what our attack can do a few years ago when we scored 15 goals in 3 games,Really want to see the odd game like that again

Wage bill isn't the all important issue it is INCOME. Spuds and Arse are in London and can charge London prices and still fill out....we have to have £10 tickets just to get about 38,000 - we can't compete end of!
If the brand of football was better and we where winning cups things would be differant, i think for a club like us to have future success we'd need to invest massive on wages and transfers. I honestly think we'll just keep having the same cycle of events as we have had for the last two summers, sell your best players in the summer just like we will with Ash this season..

If we go by the same line of thinking as you have both put on the table. Arsenal are shit, they haven't won anything for years. Arsene Wenger is a poor Manager because anything he has won is in the past. Everton are also crap. They haven't won anything for years and have a Manager who has win pretty much **** all worth mentioning. Liverpool must surely be the same as well? We will agree to disagree.

Let me be very clear for the people who suddenly think that Villa are shit because we haven't won anything since 1996, no, I don't count the Intertoto. Aston Villa remain one of the biggest clubs in British football. With the right man in charge, we can climb the table and hopefully fight for a european place year on year. Our history is a proud one, but will not neccesarily get us anywhere with attracting a new Manager. Whilst we all live in the here and now, I would like to think that we can still bring in a Manager who will see Villa for what they are: an enormous club with huge potential.

It's not about saying Villa are shit. It's about looking at the draw that the club has to people outside the club.

If someone had the choice between managing Spurs or Villa 9 times out of 10, hell 99 times out of 100, they'd choose Spurs, because at the moment Spurs are doing better than us and have a greater potential for immediate success.

The point is you can only dine out on the past for so long, you have to actually be competing to become as big a draw as some people think we are at the moment.

If the brand of football was better and we where winning cups things would be differant, i think for a club like us to have future success we'd need to invest massive on wages and transfers. I honestly think we'll just keep having the same cycle of events as we have had for the last two summers, sell your best players in the summer just like we will with Ash this season..

As you say it's a vicious cycle - without the funds we can't get the players - without the players we can't win anything - without winning no money etc etc.....which is why Moyes is as good as it gets for us....he needs to find a few more Cahills and Artetas with the big money coming in from sales and just hope we can do something before they get snapped up.

It's not about saying Villa are shit. It's about looking at the draw that the club has to people outside the club.

If someone had the choice between managing Spurs or Villa 9 times out of 10, hell 99 times out of 100, they'd choose Spurs, because at the moment Spurs are doing better than us and have a greater potential for immediate success.

The point is you can only dine out on the past for so long, you have to actually be competing to become as big a draw as some people think we are at the moment.

I totally disagree. A potential manager would first talk to the owners about ambition and funds. Spurs look to be in quite a delicate situation financially and need to make the Champs League again or face having to sell some of their major players. Their plans for a new stadium are up in the air, too. Any football person with a bit of common sense can see Villa have the history, pedigree and potential to compete and win trophies at the very highest level. Clubs like Tottenham don't come close.

Any football person with a bit of common sense can see Villa have the history, pedigree and potential to compete and win trophies at the very highest level. Clubs like Tottenham don't come close.

Are you a Time Lord? As this post (and your username) are most definitely from the past ;-)

Delicate position financially? They were making £30m bids for strikers left right and centre at the end of January. Besides if they needed to make money they have £80m in Modric and Bale. Unsure we have £80m in our squad :lol:

Any football person with a bit of common sense can see Villa have the history, pedigree and potential to compete and win trophies at the very highest level. Clubs like Tottenham don't come close.

Are you a Time Lord? As this post (and your username) are most definitely from the past ;-)

Bicks is right. Furthermore spurts have got boat loads of money. Haringey council are trying to hold them to ransom over the new stadium but its posturing by both sides. With 20,000 (conservative estimate) on a season ticket waiting list, they sit a little pretty.