Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

Few thoughts:-

I feel Moyes is definitely gettable - thing is I don't see Everton letting him go easily - I just hope Randy is up for a tussle - and doesn't stick to his non poaching policy.

If Randy was happy with GH - and doesn't want to poach a manager - then the spectre of benitez looms large. Whilst this would be an improvement - it wouldn't be great in my eyes.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of agree with you in terms of us having the live in the here and now. Both Man City and Tottenham will finish above us for the next couple of years by the looks of things. That said, we have to try to be ambitious and get the right man in so we can compete with both of those clubs.

I find some of your post a little defeatist if you don't mind me saying. Particularly with Villa's current situation. Randy has to sell the club to get the right man in. That man, whoever he may be, hopefully an Ancellotti, a Moyes etc will have the funding and the skill to bridge the gap that MON couldn't.

I appreciate that our history now means little in terms of the here and now but we should never stop being ambitious. Apparently the aim for the club is the top four. The same target for Tottenham and Man City. Our motto of proud history, bright future needs to stand for something. The next Manager, if Gerard doesn't come back, needs to be the equal of Redknapp etc if we are to even try to get back up to a minimum of the top six.

We ARE a sleeping giant. We are still a massive club. That will never change. The appointment of the next Manager might just the springboard for where we all want the club to be. Amazing really just how far we have dropped since August when MON walked out. You and I would not be having this discussion last season would we? We were big then, but not now?

Oh no doubt we have to be ambitious, but being ambitious doesn't mean looking at teams doing better than us at the moment and going "Oh it doesn't matter, it's only Spurs, we're bigger than they are", it means striving to be better than they are.

It's not at all meant as defeatist, just realistic. There's no doubt that Villa could once again become the Villa of the past, but to do that we have to first regain some of our past success. The giant will awake on the back of success, not the other way round. We can't just write off teams because their history isn't as proud as ours, we have to make sure our future looks brighter than theirs as well.

As to if we were big last season, MON walked out with everyone thinking we had no money, that we had a sell to buy policy, so I don't know just how big people will have thought we were, or how big our pulling power would have been at the time. I think Milner leaving for City demonstrates just how "big" we were at the time... not really that big.

Even when we've been up there (2 seasons ago when we were points clear of arsenal in 4th only to throw it away) people have thought we'd peaked. To anyone outside the Villa we're not huge. That's who we've got to convince to be a big draw for any manager.

Anyway, my shout for next season is John Gregory with Houllier as DOF!

I kind of agree with you in terms of us having the live in the here and now. Both Man City and Tottenham will finish above us for the next couple of years by the looks of things. That said, we have to try to be ambitious and get the right man in so we can compete with both of those clubs.

I find some of your post a little defeatist if you don't mind me saying. Particularly with Villa's current situation. Randy has to sell the club to get the right man in. That man, whoever he may be, hopefully an Ancellotti, a Moyes etc will have the funding and the skill to bridge the gap that MON couldn't.

I appreciate that our history now means little in terms of the here and now but we should never stop being ambitious. Apparently the aim for the club is the top four. The same target for Tottenham and Man City. Our motto of proud history, bright future needs to stand for something. The next Manager, if Gerard doesn't come back, needs to be the equal of Redknapp etc if we are to even try to get back up to a minimum of the top six.

We ARE a sleeping giant. We are still a massive club. That will never change. The appointment of the next Manager might just the springboard for where we all want the club to be. Amazing really just how far we have dropped since August when MON walked out. You and I would not be having this discussion last season would we? We were big then, but not now?

Oh no doubt we have to be ambitious, but being ambitious doesn't mean looking at teams doing better than us at the moment and going "Oh it doesn't matter, it's only Spurs, we're bigger than they are", it means striving to be better than they are.

It's not at all meant as defeatist, just realistic. There's no doubt that Villa could once again become the Villa of the past, but to do that we have to first regain some of our past success. The giant will awake on the back of success, not the other way round. We can't just write off teams because their history isn't as proud as ours, we have to make sure our future looks brighter than theirs as well.

As to if we were big last season, MON walked out with everyone thinking we had no money, that we had a sell to buy policy, so I don't know just how big people will have thought we were, or how big our pulling power would have been at the time. I think Milner leaving for City demonstrates just how "big" we were at the time... not really that big.

Even when we've been up there (2 seasons ago when we were points clear of arsenal in 4th only to throw it away) people have thought we'd peaked. To anyone outside the Villa we're not huge. That's who we've got to convince to be a big draw for any manager.

Anyway, my shout for next season is John Gregory with Houllier as DOF!

It was going so well ;)

just seen moyes on MOTD2 and i would love him to be villas next manager. seems like he is a really nice bloke and when they played a clipshow it showed how animated he is and always shouting from the touchline. think he has done really well with what he has to work with at everton.

I really don't see the fascination with Spurs! They have finished above Villa four times in something like 20 years. Yes, they are in a purple patch right now, but drop out of the top six just once and they go back to being the underachievers they really are. Once fuckface leaves them, they'll drop down the league again. Spurs are no bigger than West Ham. Villa are a sleeping giant. Someone, the right man, could wake us again.

"Sleeping giant" means nothing. So what we used to be massive. It doesn't give us the right to be big again.

In the same way the fact that Spurs previously being rather mediocre means nothing, it doesn't mean they'll eventually go back to being pretty average.

Man city as well, sure they've historically been pretty damn crap, but that doesn't say in the future they'll return to being crap, or that they have to play out the rest of their existence being crap.

No one has a place they should be based on their history. The fact is that at the moment Spurs and Man City are far more likely to finish above us, and are far more likely to win things. We can sit here going "sleeping giants" all we like, but the fact remains that no one outside of Villa Park cares about that. People care about the CURRENT league table, the CURRENT situation.

All any team needs is "the right man" to come in and they could do things, but if it happens it's got nothing to do with how big a club was in the past and everything to do with how well it's being run at the moment.

We need to stop dwelling on history and saying "we should be up there" because we have no more right to be up there than Spurs or anyone else, to get up there we have to earn it in the present day, and that's what Spurs are doing at the moment, which is why they always get bought up, they're doing what we want to do.

This. Jesus are we becoming Liverpool fans. History history history :?

We cant take a gamble Fran, Lambert is likely to stay at Norwich for at least a season anyway if they go up which looks likely.

Moyes is the man we should go all out for imo.

O'Neill to replace him at Everton maybe!

IF GH is to be replaced, Lerner has a golden opportunity to get a big-name in to help everybody move on from this disappointing season. Get him in if possible to parade before Liverpool and then he has pre-season to get us in shape. Would be a nice touch if GH got the chance to say goodbye too as whatever people think he didn't have to take this job with his health

I don't see Moyes leaving for a team on the same level as Everton, he'll leave for a bigger team in time. Been honest i'd rather a manager that had us playing well for the whole season not just for half..

Not a chance that Moyes will go to Spuds, Chelsea, ManUre, Chelsea or Le Arse. The ywill all want a 'continental type' of manager such as The Special one, Guardiola etc...... Moyes is perfect for us being British and a sensible version of MON

Not a chance that Moyes will go to Spuds, Chelsea, ManUre, Chelsea or Le Arse. The ywill all want a 'continental type' of manager such as The Special one, Guardiola etc...... Moyes is perfect for us being British and a sensible version of MON

agreed Denis - the 2 clubs, Everton and Villa are very similar in tradition, fan base, history and current status albeit we could potentially offer him more financial backing than Everton.

The teams above us all have boarded the media wagon and want flashy names for their Champs League intentions - Moyes would be an 'unfashionable' choice for those clubs, whereas he'd be perfect for us!

Can you see Moyes achieving CL with Villa? I'm not sure even with the financial backing.. it is becoming harder every year to get CL places and I don't feel we will achieve top 4 with Moyes but I'd still have him here as he can probably guide us through europe places.. that's if Houllier leaves otherwise I'd keep Houllier (imo).