Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be Moyes for me. Think about what he could do with a little cash plus I really can't see any of the top 6 going in for him ever so I think Villa (who I consider to be on par with Everton give or take) are his best opportunity for getting somewhere. I remember a few years ago when people were touting him to succeed Fergie but it looks like he's staying another 3 years now.

I really don't get the fuss about Hughes. Got a good mate who's a Rovers fan and although he was gutted he left he was saying Hughes can only get clubs to a certain level and then doesn't really push on from there. Would be gutted if he came here to be honest.

I know Houllier has taken a lot of criticism and rightly so on occasions but I think he can attract better players than most to the club. So I think it's vital we keep him in some sort of capacity. Dunno if he'd agree though.

I just don't see the point of switching from Houllier who has at least started to do something here, to Moyes who would no doubt bring a completely different ethos. The potential gain from such a switch isn't worth the potential upheaval.

For me it has to be either a massive improvement (Ancelotti) or we might as well stick with Houllier to see if the green shoots from the end of the season are going to blossom. It's not like we've been THAT far away from having a decent side, it's just the defense that's let us down the entire season really. Houlliers has made the right sort of moves in the transfer market so far in January, so I think he deserves the start of the season to see how things can pan out before making a pretty much sidewards switch to someone like Moyes or Hughes.

Well the trick for us is to get a manager that can make good players great/world class!

MON showed how he turn average players into good players, but he did not take our players to that next level. Few managers are able to this I think.

That is why I think we need to find a gem somewhere that has that extra something. Could it be Lambert - I don't know, but we are not going to have the money to buy world class players, so we need to make our own.

I just don't see the point of switching from Houllier who has at least started to do something here, to Moyes who would no doubt bring a completely different ethos. The potential gain from such a switch isn't worth the potential upheaval.

For me it has to be either a massive improvement (Ancelotti) or we might as well stick with Houllier to see if the green shoots from the end of the season are going to blossom. It's not like we've been THAT far away from having a decent side, it's just the defense that's let us down the entire season really. Houlliers has made the right sort of moves in the transfer market so far in January, so I think he deserves the start of the season to see how things can pan out before making a pretty much sidewards switch to someone like Moyes or Hughes.

I would have been interested to watch a fully fit Houllier implement his detailed plan for the future of AVFC. However, he isn't going to be fully fit again so the rigours of Prem management are now too much for him imo.

Moyes has proven that as well as being hard to beat, his team can play football on the ground. When the likes of Arteta and Pienaar were playing against us under Mon they often made us look second best.

The big difference between GH and Mon was the disciplined control of players which was something that we sadly missed when Mon left us. DM would establish iron discipline from day one and players like Dunne and Collins would not dare to try any of their "player power" shenanigans. A squad that only has one leader can concentrate on one thing .... winning matches.

Managers such as Ancellotti and Benitez may have a more technical approach to the game, but Moyes would be my choice for combining the best of Mon and Houllier in one package.

I would have been interested to watch a fully fit Houllier implement his detailed plan for the future of AVFC. However, he isn't going to be fully fit again so the rigours of Prem management are now too much for him imo.

Moyes has proven that as well as being hard to beat, his team can play football on the ground. When the likes of Arteta and Pienaar were playing against us under Mon they often made us look second best.

The big difference between GH and Mon was the disciplined control of players which was something that we sadly missed when Mon left us. DM would establish iron discipline from day one and players like Dunne and Collins would not dare to try any of their "player power" shenanigans. A squad that only has one leader can concentrate on one thing .... winning matches.

Managers such as Ancellotti and Benitez may have a more technical approach to the game, but Moyes would be my choice for combining the best of Mon and Houllier in one package.

Good post, its how i see things too.

I would love t see what Houllier could do with a whole off season but can we afford to take the risk?

why wouldent you guys have frank rijkaard?? i see him as the one who laid the foundation for the barcelona we are seeing today. i think he could work miracles in villa whit the right funding.

why wouldent you guys have frank rijkaard?? i see him as the one who laid the foundation for the barcelona we are seeing today. i think he could work miracles in villa whit the right funding.

Not good enough. Look at his record in Turkey & Holland. Cruyff laid the foundations of Barca nearly 20 years ago. He revolutionised their youth team.

Well the trick for us is to get a manager that can make good players great/world class!

MON showed how he turn average players into good players, but he did not take our players to that next level. Few managers are able to this I think.

Problem with this is when that manager leaves we are left with average players who can only play a certain way..

I wouldn't worry about getting a new Manager. We have Houllier. According to some, he has revolutionised our youth set up, got Villa playing fantastic football, signed world class players, managed to enhance our glorious name in the media, crushing any dissent from players about the way he does his business, brought in an outstanding coaching set up, managed to win our last two, yes TWO, games of the season!! A quite wonderful Manager. Just ask the Liverpool fans, they'd take him back tomorrow. It may look like he's taken us backwards, but he hasn't. Honestly.