Next Villa manager (Poll added)

Richard

Who do you want to manage Villa next season?  

383 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to manage Villa next season?

• G.Houllier (w/ G.Mac as #2)
    • G.Houllier (with a new #2)
    • D.Moyes
    • M.Jol
    • M.Hughes
    • P.Lambert
    • S.Allardyce
    • O.Coyle
    • R.Benitez
    • Someone else (specify)

96% of voters would rather have something other than what we have now ( Hou and GMac ) and 85% would rather have someone other than Houllier as manager. As far as this vote goes it seems pretty conclusive that Houllier is no longer wanted and GMac even less so.

Not really, while I'd change managers if we had the chance of Moyes/Ancellotti and I chose Moyes on poll, doesn't mean I don't want Houllier as such, going into next season with him, I'd be quite excited personally.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

96% of voters would rather have something other than what we have now ( Hou and GMac ) and 85% would rather have someone other than Houllier as manager. As far as this vote goes it seems pretty conclusive that Houllier is no longer wanted and GMac even less so.

Not really, while I'd change managers if we had the chance of Moyes/Ancellotti and I chose Moyes on poll, doesn't mean I don't want Houllier as such, going into next season with him, I'd be quite excited personally.

Is this based on the fact that we won the last two games of the season or the whole season? Is it based on the transfer window? I'm keen to know because I think the opposite.

Also, whoever reckons that we play better football? WTF? We keep the ball better, that's all. Have you seen our final ball? I'm all for giving Gerard Houllier a crack next season once he's brought in his own players and got rid of those he doesn't feel will add any value to the team, but seriously, get real. This season was poor.

I think a lot of people have assumed Houllier is going. I did when I voted.

If Houllier's health means he can stay on, I'd vote for him to be here next season.

Is this based on the fact that we won the last two games of the season or the whole season? Is it based on the transfer window? I'm keen to know because I think the opposite.

based on the fact our form since getting rid of players and signing likes of Bent etc...is good enough for top 5/6 form, I'd wonder what he could do with a little more time to bring in players in positions we need to fill and pre-season to develop our squad and the way we look to try and keep the ball and use it.

based on the fact our form since getting rid of players and signing likes of Bent etc...is good enough for top 5/6 form, I'd wonder what he could do with a little more time to bring in players in positions we need to fill and pre-season to develop our squad and the way we look to try and keep the ball and use it.

Thanks POB. I don't disagree that out form has been quite reasonable, despite not winning too often. If GH stays, then I'd like wholesale changes to the squad so there are no excuses next season. I like the man, not neccesarily the Manager. A fresh start for all, if he stays, I back him, if he goes I'm not too fussed.

Thanks POB. I don't disagree that out form has been quite reasonable, despite not winning too often. If GH stays, then I'd like wholesale changes to the squad so there are no excuses next season. I like the man, not neccesarily the Manager. A fresh start for all, if he stays, I back him, if he goes I'm not too fussed.

Thing is we have said no excuses:-

once all the players are back from injury

once he has had a window

once he has had pre season

I can see come October:-

his new players need time to settle

because of illness he didn't have a pre season

XXX injury is a real blow for us

Personally my overriding feeling is that GH won't do great things at Aston Villa ....could be wrong but thats what I keep coming back to - it always seems to be....just wait until........

once he has had a window

Personally my overriding feeling is that GH won't do great things at Aston Villa ....could be wrong but thats what I keep coming back to - it always seems to be....just wait until........

I doubt it, whoever is in charge, I'm expecting a top 8 finish at worst.

I doubt it, whoever is in charge, I'm expecting a top 8 finish at worst.

Deffo, any less and its essentially the clubs fault...by the club I mean the owner/paul faulkaner and to a lesser extent the manager.

The club are in a good position now in that weve ended on a little high and we have all the facts laid out on a table to make the correct choices. Nobody is holding us to ransom and nobody seemingly has put us in a difficult position.

The club has very important choices to make now and they must get these right for the club to succeed. 8th is the minimum to be expected of our club and its within our hands to ensure that.

If they go and mess this up I'll be furious and we'll have no ex manager to blaim.

If mcliesh walks out, hope there's no paper links

They mean nothing though, it's not worth worrying about.

I dunno.

There's a whole swathe of Villa fans who like a manager with some Scottish PL success and a League Cup on their c.v. :winkold:

And this one might be a bit more prudent with his signings.

once he has had a window

My only worry is his fitness to manage not his capability. it was clear that once the players decided, actually we're in better shape and trying to play better football, that we got some positive results. Enough to give us a top 6 finish if extrapolated across the whole season.

Players have to take a lot of the blame for me and I would hope they now realise that actually from a coaching perspective we're a better team than we were (and fitter too).

I do worry though that he won't be able to take the stresses the job puts on managers and we will be left in a difficult position next year.

If he is fit and able, I'm happy he stays.

My only worry is his fitness to manage not his capability. it was clear that once the players decided, actually we're in better shape and trying to play better football, that we got some positive results.

Or they thought, shit, we're in real danger of going down and we need to sort it out.

I didn't see many of these posts about our great form for the 2nd half of the season after we drew with Wigan.

the general summed it up well

1. As everyone has said, a great end to the season!!! At the same time, reality also stares us in the face.

Just saying we ended well, finished 9th so be happy is the wrong way of thinking IMO.

Just saying we ended well, finished 9th so be happy is the wrong way of thinking IMO.

I dont think there are many, if any who are happy with the season as a whole. I think the quote above from the General and another from the same post are enough for us to believe an announcement will be made shortly, possibly in the next 5 days or so.

You could attribute these to nearly every club in the league this year at some point imo.

As a pro GH person i can state on record here and now I would not accept those excuses at that point. I expect us to be back where we're used to be as POB, top 8 at worst. I think for many in a pro GH season it is the proper preparation in pre season and players we think he should be given, those are the fixed in cement goalposts :P